Live from threads

Bridge Maven

With the exception of cruise critic hosts who probably feel it is their responsibility to do so, I can't understand why so may people start live from threads while they are on a cruise. It is hard for me to believe they are having such a fantastic time at sea when they would rather post than enjoy their cruise.

Maybe they cannot disconnect from CC even on a cruise.:)

I really appreciate those who write a cruise review and post it not on the main curise line threads but under cruise reviews board. Right now both for Celebrity and Azamara ,the reviews are not really current.

You know, I would prefer not to question why someone posts while they are on vacation. I would prefer to be very thankful that someone takes the time to share their experiences with us here. Can't explain how many times I have read and enjoyed their posts/pics each day. Maybe I'm a "glass half full" kind of person.

To those ppl who have posted while on their cruise...I say thank you. Enough said.

Gail

You know, I would prefer not to question why someone posts while they are on vacation. I would prefer to be very thankful that someone takes the time to share their experiences with us here. Can't explain how many times I have read and enjoyed their posts/pics each day. Maybe I'm a "glass half full" kind of person.

To those ppl who have posted while on their cruise...I say thank you. Enough said.

Gail

^^^^This^^^^

Why worry why they do what they do on vacation...just be happy they do it and we can all enjoy it :D

With the exception of cruise critic hosts who probably feel it is their responsibility to do so, I can't understand why so may people start live from threads while they are on a cruise. It is hard for me to believe they are having such a fantastic time at sea when they would rather post than enjoy their cruise.

I agree.

So don't read them, already, if you find them so annoying.

I'm grateful that people take the time and spend the money to communicate with us. Thanks posters from onboard!

Again, if you don't care for their critiques, don't read them. I would say that all reviews - live or otherwise - are subject to the personal biases, interests and experiences of the reviewer. That is why it is wonderful to have so many different perspectives at our disposal. I love to read the live reports and especially see photos from the ships.

I know that it takes a lot of work to post these reviews and thank everyone who posts them, whether I agree with their opinion or not.

These are not professional travel writers or bloggers but fellow cruisers paying it forward!

Perhaps that's part of the way they enjoy their cruise. Everyone has different aspects of their cruise that appeals to them. Maybe there are those who think that it's a waste of vacation time to play bridge;), or cards, or mah jong on a cruise. After all, you can do that without the cost of a cruise.

To each his own.

I did a LIVE thread, my first ever, while doing a B2B 10-nt on Celebrity Millennium from Nov.28th - Dec.8th 2011. It was my first time on this class of ship and it was the ships first (and only) season doing these short cruises.

I knew from reading these boards that there were a LOT of people travelling on her in the days and months after I got off doing the exact same short-market itineraries, so I wanted to share my experiences as well as relay as much information as possible to those who would come after me so they would know what to expect and answer any questions I could.

It was very well received and I got a LOT of comments from those booked as well as those who were looking to book this same cruise.

It made me feel good inside that I was helping so many people.

That's why I did mine. :D

BTW - I am not equating the typical "live from" thread with people who post about tragic incidents at sea, such as a fire, collision, etc. I have the utmost admiration for people who are on a ship that is experiencing a disaster and post about it.

BTW - I am not equating the typical "live from" thread with people who post about tragic incidents at sea, such as a fire, collision, etc. I have the utmost admiration for people who are on a ship that is experiencing a disaster and post about it.

Let's see here, you enjoy hearing about disasters and about people having serious problems while on a Cruise but do not want to read about people enjoying themselves:confused:

Ok, now we know where you are coming from I think.

One unique aspect of doing my LIVE report I forgot to mention is that since I was doing a B2B there were quite a few people who were booked only on that second half of my trip that followed all of my live reports on the initial leg of my journey.

I got to meet quite a few of them during that second half of my B2B, many who thanked me in person for the time and dedication I had put into the LIVE thread. Some of them had either never cruised before or were also first timers on a Millennium-class, and told me that the information I posted was invaluable to them. Many mentioned how helpful it was in their preparations and how it also got them excited for their upcoming cruise as I was reporting on mine.

The LIVE aspect 'as it happens' can be a lot more exciting than a formatted 'report' after someone returns. Both have their beneficial points.

It also gives those who may be on an upcoming cruise on the same ship the chance to ask specific questions and get answers from someone actually 'on the ship' instead of from someone trying to remember details a week after the fact.

And as someone already mentioned, my idea of having a really good time on a cruise is certainly not going to be the same as someone else's idea of having a good time. I can be quite content spending my day taking pictures, people watching, and avoiding the crowds. I have found that I enjoy dinner in the lido buffet much more than in the MDR, prefer to listen to a good jazz or classical music set over the shows in the main lounge, and really don't care for all the noise by the pool during the day. I don't play cards, like an occasional trivia game, and often retire early before the excitement even starts in the nightclubs or on late night dance floors.

And I truly enjoyed doing my LIVE thread. It was something to look forward to every day, logging on for a brief few minutes to see what I could do to help someone else and to report the days events.

There have been several really good "live from" threads lately with pictures etc. I have really enjoyed them. We will not be able to take a cruise this year and their reports allow me to "cruise" while sitting at my computer. I also really enjoy the live webcam in Ft Lauderdale. Actually I enjoy anything about cruising.....Keep the pictures and descriptions coming people...........TIA.

Let's see here, you enjoy hearing about disasters and about people having serious problems while on a Cruise but do not want to read about people enjoying themselves:confused:

Of course not. When people hear about a disaster at sea they worry about people they know who are on that cruise. So it can be a great source of comfort for them to hear what is actually happening from people who are on that ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You either don't know where Bridge Maven is coming from or you're unfairly manipulating her(?) words/intent. There's a big difference between being appreciative of folks who post live in what they hope is a pseudo-journalistic manner when something goes awry, and not understanding why some folks feel compelled to live post what frequently amounts to minutia.

I think the 'live from' format lets many of us, including me, live vicariously. Those posts also tend to be more spontaneous and unique, much like meeting different people on a cruise. I personally applaud those who take the time, especially when they include pictures. It adds to the fabric of my life and my anticipation for my next cruise.

I agree if you don't like that type of thread maybe it is best to skip over it and get on with hiking your own hike. But, just as folks are free to post 'live from' threads, you are free to complain about what someone else does in a public forum that in no way affects you. And I am free to post my opinion that I think it is rather petty. That's what make a community.

It also gives those who may be on an upcoming cruise on the same ship the chance to ask specific questions and get answers from someone actually 'on the ship' instead of from someone trying to remember details a week after the fact.

Asking questions on a couple of live threads hasn't worked for me, and I don't think I've been here long enough to be put on "ignore."

There are a couple of posters (one in particular) that routinely posts a "Live From" thread. It's basically a chronicle/journal/blog of their experience.

The one poster has been doing this for years, and is encouraged to keep up the almost daily postings. It's always very infomative and is very well written. This poster has cruised extensively, and has a great attitude regarding any cruise mishaps or negative experiences.

I have never questioned why this poster is doing this. Just as I wouldn't question why someone does anything. It doesn't effect or impact my daily life. It's information.

There's a big difference between being appreciative of folks who post live in what they hope is a

- pseudo-journalistic manner when something goes awry

- and not understanding why some folks feel compelled to live post what frequently amounts to minutia.

Minutia (plural > minutiae) - Definition: Trivial details of something; small, precise, or trifling details;

Now I really feel horrible that I wasted all that time and money helping other people out with what were certainly "trivial details of something". THANKS :(

Asking questions on a couple of live threads hasn't worked for me, and I don't think I've been here long enough to be put on "ignore."

Sometimes the OP of a LIVE thread may get so many requests, salutations, and expressions of gratitude that one post occasionally slips through the cracks. Don't give up. I know when I did my LIVE thread it was a challenge to post the dozens of daily pictures, log in to post the numerous daily updates, and try to go back over several pages of the thread to make sure I didn't leave anyone or anything out without racking up too big of an internet charge. Don't forget that these folks that do LIVE threads are doing so often at .38-.45cents a minute. ;)

I never questioned anyone's right to post live from threads, or the fact that some people love reading extremely long and detailed "live from" reviews. At the same time, I wonder how much shorter Dickens' novels would be if he wasn't paid by the word :)

There are a couple of posters (one in particular) that routinely posts a "Live From" thread. It's basically a chronicle/journal/blog of their experience.

The one poster has been doing this for years, and is encouraged to keep up the almost daily postings. It's always very infomative and is very well written. This poster has cruised extensively, and has a great attitude regarding any cruise mishaps or negative experiences.

I have never questioned why this poster is doing this. Just as I wouldn't question why someone does anything. It doesn't effect or impact my daily life. It's information.

RADIO comes to mind! :D His LIVE reports and photography are brilliant. I've also read some on the HAL forum that are often VERY hilarious and VERY entertaining.

I have also seen the flip side of this where someone starts a LIVE thread and the next report we get is after they've landed back home. :cool:

I never questioned anyone's right to post live from threads, or the fact that some people love reading extremely long and detailed "live from" reviews. At the same time, I wonder how much shorter Dickens' novels would be if he wasn't paid by the word :)

So if I'm interputing your original post correctly, you are just wondering WHY a poster would take the time to post this kind of thread in the first place?

My answer: They enjoy it. Plain and simple...enjoyment.

Archived