Water safe to drink?

RedbirdFL

The ship's staff will tell you to not drink the water. Of course, they want you to buy their super expensive bottled water, but I still think there are issues with the water. I had a margarita with ice in Mexico, and I got a little sick later on. And I usually never get sick like that. Friends of mine went on a cruise to Cozumel a few months later, and had the exact same experience. Was it the water? We don't know for sure, but it would seem like the most likely possibility. But that doesn't mean that everyone would get sick from it.

It is probably as safe or unsafe as any of the water in any of the ports you will be visiting. You are not immune from getting sick, but you would not be immune from that if you were doing a US East Coast cruise either.

If you are worried about it - don't drink it. I've been there a few time and never had an issue.

All of the tourist restaurants, bars, hotels, and beach clubs will use purified water that is safe to drink. Buying any food or drink from a street vendor is most often the problem. Too often someone drinks way too many margaritas and then complains the next day that it was the bad water that made them sick! :o

All of the tourist restaurants, bars, hotels, and beach clubs will use purified water that is safe to drink. Buying any food or drink from a street vendor is most often the problem. Too often someone drinks way too many margaritas and then complains the next day that it was the bad water that made them sick! :o

That's a thought to ponder. I guess the "10 margaritas" did it to me, and not the "ice". LOL

With me, it was 1 margarita. And that sickness was very different than the feeling I get when I have one (or more) too many. With my friends, it was the same thing: just 1 margarita. You should ask if the place uses purified water for their ice & drinks. At a beach in Cozumel, my mom chose the only soda that came in a can at that beach because of this.

The major tourist restaurants and hotels will have safe water.

I would not trust water/ice cubes/salads and the like at any place that is mainly for locals.

Archived