Trip Insurance through other companies?

I'm getting ready to call RC this morning to book a cruise on FOS for May, 2013.

I remember reading here about people NOT taking the cruise insurance through RC, and using different sources.

What are the advantages to doing this and do you highly recommend it?

What companies do you use? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I make the call.

I'm getting ready to call RC this morning to book a cruise on FOS for May, 2013.

I remember reading here about people NOT taking the cruise insurance through RC, and using different sources.

What are the advantages to doing this and do you highly recommend it?

What companies do you use? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I make the call.

Some reasons TO use the RCI plan:

For some there is a cost advantage as the RCI plan does not take age into account when determining the premium. For those in the upper age brackets this can be a big savings. Also, they will cover your airfare (even if booked independently) at no additional premium which again can be a big savings.

Allows you to cancel for ANY reason and get a credit toward a future trip. The credit is equal to 75% of the penalties in effect when you cancel. Note that if you cancel for a COVERED reason your penalties are covered 100% in cash.

Some reasons to NOT use the RCI plan:

For those not in the upper age brackets you can usually find similar coverage from a third-party insurer at a lower cost.

While the RCI plan does include medical and emergency evacuation coverages the coverage limits are generally lower than what third-party plans offer.

The RCI plan does not cover losses due to pre-existing medical conditions so if you cancel due to a pre-ex condition you would end up invoking the Cancel For Any Reason benefit mentioned above.

The RCI plan does not include coverage for a financial default of the cruise line. Is this important? Probably not as I don't believe RCI is going out of business any time soon. And by the way, if you're booking directly with RCI (not using a travel agent) most third-party insurers won't cover you for financial default any way.

We always use the ins. through our travel agent; Have used it twice when we "missed"the boat out of New york and again in Ca. doing the Mexican / Acapuco cruise: Unpleasant going through the experience but was totally covered on our out of pocket expenses: ;)

Archived