McKinley Explorer Train Cars Dining

ihopfar

We are taking the train from Fairbanks to Denali and then Denali to Anchorage. We have booked through Grayline of Alaska, so I believe we are supposed to be on the McKinley Explorer rail cars used by the Holland America cruisetours. (The fine print says "or similar luxury railcar".)

Are we assigned meal times if we choose to have meals on the trains or can we choose to go downstairs to eat when we want? Assuming there is an open table, of course.

Does anyone have the McKinley Explorer menus from recent years by any chance?

Thanks,

Brad

I am interested in this information, too. I have a cruise tour through Gray Line that was arranged by an online TA. We will ride the train from Denali to Anchorage. My information says we will be in a domed rail car. I read that Holland owns Gray Line--so, we assumed we would be in their train cars.

Looking on the train schedule it appears we leave Denali around 12:15-12:30pm and arrive in Anchorage around 9pm. That would mean we are on the train for two meals. Is it possible (allowed) to bring outside food onto the train for the lunch?

They generally go by seating rows due limited seating in the dining area. Service is quick, prices are good compared to other food costs in Alaska.

Yes, you can bring your own food and snacks.

Also, the bar is open the entire ride. On our trip from the ship to Talkeetna, the bartender gal made the best bloody mary's I have ever had.

They generally go by seating rows due limited seating in the dining area. Service is quick, prices are good compared to other food costs in Alaska.

Yes, you can bring your own food and snacks.

Also, the bar is open the entire ride. On our trip from the ship to Talkeetna, the bartender gal made the best bloody mary's I have ever had.

Were you on Princess or Holland/Gray Line? I thought only Princess had trains direct to Talkeetna, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Brad

Archived