Please help new charges pending on debit after cruise.

vcop

We sailed on the Dream on 4/21/12.We checked our sail & sign and everything was correct on the 28th when we left.They took the charges out of checking on the 30th.Everything matched up from the sheets we received the final day.As of today it looks like there are charges pending on hold on our debit card.Several are the same ones we had on our sheets.It looks like they are going to charge us again.I just emailed them but that could take a while.I know I will have to call customer service tomorrow.Any number to get hold of customer service without going through lots of people to get there.Has this ever happened to anyone else?We did have a wonderful cruise and loved the Dream.

A hold for certain amounts was placed on your account throughout the cruise. That is to make sure the funds are there for payment. Carnival will release those holds after final payment. When it will be available to you again will depend on your bank. Sometimes takes 7 - 10 days depending on your bank. It should not go through as another charge but will show as just a hold on your account.

I have seen people have "holds" on their debit card, when hold released the correct amount was charged/balanced out

This is why I use one of my two "credit" credit cards when cruising

cause they can have a "hold" showing on a debit card attached to your bank account.

You can call your card company and/or Carnival but my guess is that it will all be ok, Carnival is really not overcharging you, it is just the way it is "billed" or put as pending.

hth

before you blame Carnival, blame your bank. It is your bank thats taking forever to release any outstanding holds that have been previously cleared. I had bank accounts in a past where it took like 3-4 weeks for a hold to be removed

I work for a bank and have seen people overdraw because of the holds. It happens with hotels and rental cars so it's not just cruises. It also happens with some restaurants who place a hold of the check amount plus 20% to cover any tip that might be left but most people don't notice this one because the amounts are usually small.

They will eventually drop off - it can take several days. They should be gone within 5 business days in most cases. The downside is that you can't use those funds while they are on hold so watch your balance and hopefully it doesn't put you in a bind until they are released.

Unless you have a large balance to cover the holds that may hang around for a week or two afterward, it's always a good idea to use a credit card for travel so that your cash isn't tied up.

The hold thing usually happens when the final charge and the hold amounts don't match up exactly so the computer doesn't know to release the hold. The system assumes there are more charges coming in that amount. Once nothing else comes through to match it with xxxx number of days (usually 5 in my experience) the hold will drop off.

It's just the holds, they will release. My DH and I both used our debit cards. His release was much quicker than mine, my $650 hold stayed on for a week after we got back. I didn't think it would ever clear. It finally did. Needless to say, I am not using a debit card again. This time, we are doing OBC for all of our spending.

We sailed on the Dream on 4/21/12.We checked our sail & sign and everything was correct on the 28th when we left.They took the charges out of checking on the 30th.Everything matched up from the sheets we received the final day.As of today it looks like there are charges pending on hold on our debit card.Several are the same ones we had on our sheets.It looks like they are going to charge us again.I just emailed them but that could take a while.I know I will have to call customer service tomorrow.Any number to get hold of customer service without going through lots of people to get there.Has this ever happened to anyone else?We did have a wonderful cruise and loved the Dream.

What happens is they take hold on your debit while you are onboard. When the cruise is over they make a final sale for the total. But with a debit card many timesthe initial holds take days or weeks to fall off, tying up $ in your account in the mean time. Many advise use a major CC or cash.

before you blame Carnival, blame your bank. It is your bank thats taking forever to release any outstanding holds that have been previously cleared. I had bank accounts in a past where it took like 3-4 weeks for a hold to be removed

Correct--it's a bank transaction time problem, nothing CCL can do.

Archived