***Live from the Sojourn, 20-day Iberian and Celtic Sojourn***

We're back in a very cold and wet UK after enjoying last week on the Sojourn. We thought the ship was lovely and the service second to none.

I had been worrying about how I would find the larger ship after only having cruised on the smaller sisters, but I was amazed to find that Seabourn have managed to preserve the same feel, level of service and degree of it being a personal experience.

We found all the staff to be so hard working, friendly and able to provide just the right level of service for us. So many of them knew our names, just like on the small ships.

We also loved the extra facilities on the Sojourn, including the Patio Grill where we ate every lunch time, Seabourn Square for our daily coffee fix (mochaccino for me), the Retreat (when it wasn't too windy) and the small pool and sunbathing area at the back of the ship.

We never had to queue for anything and no matter what time we decided to eat in the evening, there was always a table for two available immediately.

Like a few of the other posters, we didn't think much of Portimao, but a quick glance at the map that they handed out showed that Praia da Rocha was right next door, so after a quick refreshment stop back at the ship, we walked there in 10 minutes and were able to enjoy a beautiful long sandy beach interspersed with rocky headlands. It was just a shame it was too windy to sit there for too long.

All in all we had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to go on one of the larger ships again. Our next planned cruise is on the Spirit, but if a good deal comes up in the meantime, well who knows....?

Simon :)

Afternoon Update; At sea Enroute to Cohb, Ireland

Well I thought I would take a quick break from some work, and run upstairs quickly for Afternoon Tea...WHOA looked like a bunch of bare shelves in Russia! Apparently they ATTACKED at 4:00pm sharp and were ATTACKING for the past hour. I managed to get 1 apple cake and 1 semi-dry brownie and brought back just now to my Suite. It was just before 5:00pm and the place was PACKED.

Madonna!!!...this Bay of Biscaye just won't give up without a fight. We are moving and pitching and rolling all over the place. When I was riding up to Deck 10 to Afternoon Tea Time, the elevators were crashing against their casings and making that screatching metal noise. Again, the smae thing on the way down.

As I look out onto the balcony of my Suite all I see are white heads all over the place. I don't dare open the door to the balcony for fear of being sucked out. Our temperature is currently 10C or 50F under partly sunny skies and high winds of 35 m.p.h....I can just imagine us all tonight out on the Patio Grill.

More to follow later today from the Sojourn in the Bay of Biscay enroute to Cohb, Ireland.

We're back in a very cold and wet UK after enjoying last week on the Sojourn. We thought the ship was lovely and the service second to none.

I had been worrying about how I would find the larger ship after only having cruised on the smaller sisters, but I was amazed to find that Seabourn have managed to preserve the same feel, level of service and degree of it being a personal experience.

We found all the staff to be so hard working, friendly and able to provide just the right level of service for us. So many of them knew our names, just like on the small ships.

We also loved the extra facilities on the Sojourn, including the Patio Grill where we ate every lunch time, Seabourn Square for our daily coffee fix (mochaccino for me), the Retreat (when it wasn't too windy) and the small pool and sunbathing area at the back of the ship.

We never had to queue for anything and no matter what time we decided to eat in the evening, there was always a table for two available immediately.

Like a few of the other posters, we didn't think much of Portimao, but a quick glance at the map that they handed out showed that Praia da Rocha was right next door, so after a quick refreshment stop back at the ship, we walked there in 10 minutes and were able to enjoy a beautiful long sandy beach interspersed with rocky headlands. It was just a shame it was too windy to sit there for too long.

All in all we had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to go on one of the larger ships again. Our next planned cruise is on the Spirit, but if a good deal comes up in the meantime, well who knows....?

I share most of what you wrote, except you either were on an empty ship or half full ship as you just can't walk into Restaurant 2 on these cruises with 454 passengers....it's full with reservations all the time and there are queues on sea days like today in the Colonnade and Seabourn Square etc.

Portimao, let's just say I won't touch that topic with a 10 foot pole anymore.:eek:

As I look out onto the balcony of my Suite all I see are white heads all over the place.

Is the Saga Ruby that close? ( May not register if you are not a denizen of the UK ):rolleyes:

Post Dinner Update;-A Seabourn "Moment"

Of course I went up to the Patio Grill exactly at 7:30pm sharp when they opened sharp thinking I'll get in a quick and tasty meal. When I arrived the Patio Grill was closed and they had decided not to open it tonight due to the cold and high winds we have although the sun is shinning full bright. Knowing of course that I would be dissappointed, Arnold the "Pizza Master" was there making some pizzas for the Spa Team since they were having a meeting. I asked him if he wouldn't mind making me a pizza to take back to my cabin. He had only limited ingredients but whipped up a Margherita Pizza in less than 20 minutes and it was pipping hot and took it back to my Suite and ordered a Caesar Salad and Chocolate Layer Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream for dessert.

This too me is a Seabourn Moment whereby a crew member went out of his way to do something great and individual like this for me. Another reason why I choose to cruise Seabourn for crew members that go above and beyond in delivering excellent service.

The weather has not improved in terms of coldness (currently 9C or 48F) under sunny skies still at 9:00pm but with high winds of 35 m.p.h. or 7 on the Beaufort Scale. The ship is still moving a lot tonight as we are still crossing the Bay of Biscay with sea swells in excess of 3 meters.

Room Service is being KILLED as I type....they have done well over 75 covers as of 8:30pm thus far tonight with a lot of people choosing to stay in and/or are sea sick.

Forgot to add, the clocks go back 1 hour tonight, so 1 hour extra sleep!

More to come from the Sojourn somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean enroute to Cobh, Ireland.:eek:

Dinner Options Onboard Tonight;

The Restaurant

FIRST COURSE

Smoked Salmon & Caviar Mousse, warm potato pancake

Seared Beef Carppaccio, porcini foam, brioche croutons

Crisp Veal Sweetbreads with Fresh Mushrooms, haricots verts, truffle dressing

Tuscan Style white Bean & vegetable Soup, meat balls, escarole, garlic croutons

Roasted Sweet Corn Potage, lobster croutons

Watermelon & Rocket Salad, tangerine dressing

Frisee Salad with Crisp Bacon & Soft Poached Egg, brioche croutons, sherry hazelnut vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

Marinated & Grilled Mahi Mahi, couscous, raisins, balsamic brown butter

Basil Braised Shellfish, shrimps, calamari, mussels, homemade fettuccine

Caramelized Duck Breast With Braised Endives, crip polenta cake, madeira sauce

Grilled Sirloin Steak with Braised Beef Confit, lyonnaise potatoes, sweet garlic and ****aki demi glace

Vegetarian- Vegetarian Spring Rolls, napa slaw and sweet chili dipping sauce

Restaurant 2;

Chef's Cocktail: Seared Tuna Mojito, Shaved Watermelon, Minted Lime Dash, Popcorn

Cured Salmon, crunchy Root Vegetables, Olive Tapenade Drizzle's

Lobster & Chorizo Croquetta, Eggplant & Olive Relish

Marinated Red Beets, Creamy Goat Cheese, Shallot Vinaigrette

Lime Kissed Duck Presse, Soba Pasta, ****ake & Bok Choy, Grilled Chili Balls

Clam Cappuccino, Cilantro Foam, Corriander & Mascarpone Crisp

Spiced Halibut, Crisp Foie Gras, Roasted Pineapple Chutney

Tamarind Glazed Hanger Steak, Corn Cake, Poached Tomatoes

White Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake, Cherry Jelly & Sorbet

The Colonnade- MEDITERRANEAN

APPETIZERS

Grilled Shrimp, Roasted Tomato & Goat Cheese Tian

Asparagus and Dijon Vinaigrette

or

Spring Chicken Cassoulet "En Croute"

Creamy Forest Mushrooms, Truffle, Fresh Tarragon

Tuscan Style White Bean & Vegetable Soup

Meat Balls, Escarole, Garlic Croutons

MAIN COURSE

Pan Seared Sea Bass

warm nicoise style salad, crisp giant capers, black olives

or

Roasted Rack of Lamb Provencale

gratin potatoes, ratatouille, sweet garlic, rosemary jus

DESSERTS

Baklava with Caramelized Honey

PATIO GRILL- CLOSED:mad::mad::mad:

ST, the dinner menu sounds delicious this evening. But I did enjoy reading of your Seabourn Moment.

My husband has just about recovered from the shock of reading on here that it's impossible to get a drink. Now all I have to do is stop from seeing the posts about Smelly Sojourn and Quest.

Well I thought I would take a quick break from some work, and run upstairs quickly for Afternoon Tea...WHOA looked like a bunch of bare shelves in Russia! Apparently they ATTACKED at 4:00pm sharp and were ATTACKING for the past hour. I managed to get 1 apple cake and 1 semi-dry brownie and brought back just now to my Suite. It was just before 5:00pm and the place was PACKED.

Madonna!!!...this Bay of Biscaye just won't give up without a fight. We are moving and pitching and rolling all over the place. When I was riding up to Deck 10 to Afternoon Tea Time, the elevators were crashing against their casings and making that screatching metal noise. Again, the smae thing on the way down.

As I look out onto the balcony of my Suite all I see are white heads all over the place. I don't dare open the door to the balcony for fear of being sucked out. Our temperature is currently 10C or 50F under partly sunny skies and high winds of 35 m.p.h....I can just imagine us all tonight out on the Patio Grill.

More to follow later today from the Sojourn in the Bay of Biscay enroute to Cohb, Ireland.

I remember that Bay well on the Pride...blew a window out but the ever efficient Seabourn crew quickly had a new window put in and fans drying out the unit. Most people were sick, but it was only for about 24 hours. I watched a lot of movies! Hope it clears up for you soon to enjoy all the wonderful atmosphere!

Those seas can surely be a rough rodeo ~~one year on the Pride we sailed from Tower Bridge to Dublin ~on up to Belfast ~then on to Newfoundland ~I'll never forget how mad King Neptune was! But the 'lit Pride sailed on just like bobbin'cork ~many guests were quite ill.

Hope all aboard recovers quickly ~enjoy 'Ole Dublin Town! Warm up with a stiff Irish Coffee :D

Miss M

Simon such a shame you did not start a new thread with your post. I for one am pleased to hear your points of view, as I have been getting a little worried about some of the posts re. attacking food and the zoo atmosphere. Have been wondering what I have let us in for for our cruise later on this year. Once again Thanks, and you are right Praia da Rocha is a most amazing beach, miles and miles of it.

Simon such a shame you did not start a new thread with your post. I for one am pleased to hear your points of view, as I have been getting a little worried about some of the posts re. attacking food and the zoo atmosphere. Have been wondering what I have let us in for for our cruise later on this year. Once again Thanks, and you are right Praia da Rocha is a most amazing beach, miles and miles of it.

I agree 100% with this comment. If I didnt know better, I would NEVER book with Seabourn after reading this blog. The entire cruise sounds like a place for gluttons and ferals! Think I would be looking at Silverseas, have not heard these sort of reports from them. I think the whole thing is a farce!

I've sailed on the Sojourn ~ 6*'s! Food, service, wines, Staff, Crew and Guests! Had a marvelous time ~~I never saw 'attacking or pushing, etc.,etc. Never came in contact with any weirdo's ~

Perhaps ST's log is "tongue in cheek" ~~Never fear ~the larger Seabourn ships are terrific! You will enjoy every minute of your voyage :p

Martita B.

I believe Seabournaddict and yourself should cruise together is the conclusion I have drawn. Of course on a ship that is full to capacity (454 paxs) your gonna have queues, weirdos and "Moaners and Groaners" from from the UK.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We never had to queue for anything and no matter what time we decided to eat in the evening, there was always a table for two available immediately. Simon :)

Cruisin Simon after re-reading your post of course it all makes sense too me now. You were on the 8 day cruise from Civitavecchia to Lisbon whereby the ship was NOT full but with only 382 guests onboard. VOILA! why you didn't have to queue or wait for anything....pass it along to Seabournaddict and Yorkiebargirl so they can cruise happily ever after!:eek::rolleyes::eek:

Those seas can surely be a rough rodeo ~~one year on the Pride we sailed from Tower Bridge to Dublin ~on up to Belfast ~then on to Newfoundland ~I'll never forget how mad King Neptune was! But the 'lit Pride sailed on just like bobbin'cork ~many guests were quite ill.

Hope all aboard recovers quickly ~enjoy 'Ole Dublin Town! Warm up with a stiff Irish Coffee :D

Miss M

Miss M ...I like the Irish Coffee part of comments.:D

Day 13: Cobh, (Cork) Ireland; 8:00am-6:00pm

Good very early morning from Seabourn Sqaure, whereby no ones here, but then again I messed up with the clocks last night and forgot to re-set my watch. It's currently 5:45am onboard and I am just watching Kevin setting Seabourn Square....haven't seen how he does this in 30 + days... a new adventure to see. Kevin looks as tired as I feel!

We are scheduled to arrive in Cobh, Ireland at 8:00am this morning. The current weather forecast is 3C or 38F with a high of 14C or 57F...MADONNA that's cold!....bbrrrr. There is also a chance of rain late in the afternoon. So the plan is having an early breakfast and if getting of the ship today, to do so in the morning.

More to come from the Sojourn enroute to Cobh, Ireland.:eek:

Background on Cobh, Ireland;

Cobh is a seaport townon the South Coast of County Cork, Ireland. Cobh is on the South side of Great Island in Cork Harbour. Facing the town are Spike Island and Haulbowline Island. On a high point in the town stands, Cobh (St-Colman's) Cathedral, one of the tallest buildings in Ireland and seat of the diocese of Cloyne.

The locality, which had had several Irish-language names, was first called Cove (The Cove of Cork) in 1750. It was renamed Queenstown in 1850 to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria. This remained the town's name until 1922 when it was renamed Cobh with the foundation of the Irish Free State. Cobh is agaelicization of the English name Cove and has no meaning in the Irish language.

On the shoreline, a statue memoralizes, Annie Moore, the first immigrant to disembark at Ellis Island. Coffin and prisoner ships, bound for the southern hemisphere, all embarked from this shoreline. The Titanic's last port of call was Cobh and the ill-fated Lusitania also has a tragic association with the town. Cobh's unique origins are dramatically recalled in the Queenstown Story, on the Titanic Trail and at the Cobh Museum.

Update on Cat Urine;

When I left my Suite this morning "magically" the smell of Cat Urine has dissappeared! Christina the Facilities Manager here onboard Sojourn had the carpets shampooed yesterday evening and no more cat smells on Deck 7 by suite #726.;):D;)

BTW, as I am typing this the scenery and coastline of Ireland is stunningly beautiful with the Bluffs and vast shoreline.

Onboard Activities Today;

8:00am Arrival in Cobh, Ireland

8:00am Local Hospitality Representative

10:15am Crew Lifeboat Drill

10:30am Shuffleboard, The Retreat Deck 11

12:00 noon Colonnade opens for Lunch until 2:00pm, Smorgasbord

12:30pm The Restaurnat opens for lunch until 1:30pm

12:30pm Patio Grill opens for Lunch until 3:30pm, BBQ

2:00pm Unhosted Social Bridge Play, Card Room Deck 7

3:30pm Golf Putting Enthusiasts, The Retreat Deck 11

4:00pm afternoon Tea Time with Melodies, Observation Bar Deck 10

5:00pm Local Show: Tenor Ryan Morgan, Grand Salon Deck 6

5:30pm All Aboard

5:30pm Friends of Bill W.; Conference Room#1 Deck 5

6:00pm Departure: Sojourn sails to Dublin, Ireland

Onboard Activities Tonight;

Tonight's Attire: Elegantly Casual

6:30pm Panoramic Piano Moods with Nick, Observation Bar Deck 10

6:30pm Club Cocktails, The Club Deck 5

6:45pm Pre-Dinner Seabourn Speakers Series: "The Shock of Other Cultures", Grand Salon, Deck 6

9:30pm Smooth Melodies with Nick, Observation Bar Deck 10

9:30am Brian Chartrand on Guitar, The Club Deck 5

9:45pm GAMESHOW: LIARS CLUB, Grand Salon Deck 6

Arrival in Cobh, Ireland; 8:00am-6:00pm;

We have just been tied up alongside our berth here in Cobh, (Cork) Ireland 20 minutes ahead of schedule. The currnet temperature is 3C or 38F under sunny skies ....can you say BBBRRRR!!!!...looks like the "Polar Express Cruise" has returned once again. It is defenitely "Nippy" out there as I just went out on my balcony in my "woolies" and quickly came back in.:eek:

It is certianly very "green" around here and looks like they have had their fair share of rain.

Will be going up for breakfast in the Colonnade shortly to see if they are ATTACKING or not. ...stay tuned!;):eek:;)

More to come later today from the Sojourn now tied up alongside our berth here in Cobh, (Cork) Ireland.

Dear ST,

I agree with some of the posts here. The constant use of negatives like; Attack, Zoo and Smells makes me think why you still are on the cruise. Is it because you like blogging so much....?

I guess you are scaring off some of the readers here who would consider taking a seabourn cruise. And that would really be ashame as seabourn does deliver a wonderful product.

Dear ST,

I agree with some of the posts here. The constant use of negatives like; Attack, Zoo and Smells makes me think why you still are on the cruise. Is it because you like blogging so much....?

I guess you are scaring off some of the readers here who would consider taking a seabourn cruise. And that would really be ashame as seabourn does deliver a wonderful product.

Ajpeter and others;

The use the negatives some of the times, is when it is what it is...Peak times on Seabourn are no different than on any other mainstream cruiselines such as Princess, HAL etc. When people all come in at the same time and there is no place to sit (as we are FULL CAPACITY 454 paxs), pushing and showing and running around frantically because they are about to go on tour in 15 minutes time and looking to eat something quickly happens and it happens on here on almost a daily basis. People do not know for example that the Restaurant is open for breakfast as overflow and therefore people arrive en masse in the Colonnade at the same peak times. What, you think just because people are paying upwards of $300.00 to $400.00 per person per day,are all well educated and have manners? Quite the opposite most of time. I had an insistant Russian lady just yesterday at lunchtime, as she was trying to literaley mow me down and push me aside as I was trying to cut and spread the goat cheese on a two crackers at the cheese station.:rolleyes:

The smell issue about cat urine was true on Deck 7 for 3 days, now it's gone. Now the "Moaning and Groaning" on other threads about garbage smells on the Sojourn are FABRICATIONS IMO. I can't attest to the Quest because I am not there nor have been on the Quest. I had only on one day only on Deck 9 by the Spa were it did smell like "poop":eek: other than that there are NO SMELLS in the main staircase as one previous cruiser reported or at least not since I embarked on April 13th...well over a month ago.

I agree, Seabourn delivers a great quality product, otherwise I wouldn't have decided to extend my stay to over 46 days onboard the Sojourn and could have "blogged" from home and pretended to be onboard a Seabourn ship somewhere and saving my wallet from economic shock with these continous extensions of staying onboard the Sojourn.:eek:;)

BTW, the ship just got cleared by local authorities to anyone to go ashore now.:)

Archived