Pre-Paid Gratuities Question

redfish1955

We chose Specialty Dining on the Infinity and had to pre-pay gratuities. What gratuities are actually covered under this pre-payment? Of course, if we get exceptional service, we have no problem with tipping extra. Thanks for any info!:D

Your gratuities covers everyone that serves you such as your waiters, cabin attendant and the rest. Btw, it's called Select Dining, not to be confused with the specialty restaurants.

Kitty9 is correct. It covers all normal tips. If you get extra special service from the waiter, asst waiter, room attendant, ect., we always bring thank you notes to add an extra tip at the end. If you order alcohol drinks an additional 15% will be automatically charged. Happy sailing

Thanks for the info, everybody! Boy, they sure get you on those drink gratuities! What happens if you purchase a drink package? Do they charge the gratuities on top of what you've paid for the package?

Example one of the drink packages for my cruise is $168.10. They will add 15% to it to make the total $193.32. They add it before their final price shows up for the CC.

On board if you order a drink and have the package for the drink it will be 0. If you buy a drink without the package it will be the price of the drink + 15% ($10.00 x 15%= $11.50).

Is the prepaid gratuities added to on board account in full right away? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I was wondering how that really differs from Hal's way excepting the fact an amount is charged to your account each day, in the the end it is charged to your account. All at once or daily? Whats the reason for this? It is still paid.

Is the prepaid gratuities added to on board account in full right away? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I was wondering how that really differs from Hal's way excepting the fact an amount is charged to your account each day, in the the end it is charged to your account. All at once or daily? Whats the reason for this? It is still paid.

There is no such thing as a dumb question here :). We had Select Dining for our cruise a couple of weeks ago. The gratuities were added to the cruisefare which we paid in full on final payment.

Thanks for the info, everybody! Boy, they sure get you on those drink gratuities! What happens if you purchase a drink package? Do they charge the gratuities on top of what you've paid for the package?

15% isnt really that bad. On a $5 drink it is $.75. Way less than the $1 minimun that I normally would give or a keep the change thing if I give a $5 and the drink is between 3-4 dollars.

Yes they also charge 15% extra on the drink package. That is why there has been many threads on the slow or lack of service in the bars. Many think it is because of those drink packages and there is no incentive to give speedy service.

We had premium alcohol packages on Equinox 3/26-4/6/12 and were only charge an extra 15% on the amount over the $12 pre drink limit. We never experienced slow service and our wine glasses were never empty in the MDR... :)

Pre Paid Gratuities are paid PRIOR to boarding the ship, usually when final payment is due. If you don't pre pay they will be charged daily once on board. Two totally different things.

15% isnt really that bad. On a $5 drink it is $.75. Way less than the $1 minimun that I normally would give or a keep the change thing if I give a $5 and the drink is between 3-4 dollars.

Yes they also charge 15% extra on the drink package. That is why there has been many threads on the slow or lack of service in the bars. Many think it is because of those drink packages and there is no incentive to give speedy service.

I don't buy that service is slow or lacking, even if the grats have already been paid, they still can make extra tips by giving their attention. And if you have noticed a decline in service, perhaps its because they have cut the staffing levels.

I agree, what is the reasoning....you are still paying it so what is their point for paying in advance just to eat in select.

I agree, what is the reasoning....you are still paying it so what is their point for paying in advance just to eat in select.

Some people prefer to eat when they want, not a set time and also not w/ other people like traditional dinning (although you can request a smaller table)

We are doing the Med soon and did pre-paid for select as some tours will get back late and we want the option to eat when we want because of that.

I think you pre-pay so that all waiters, etc. are taken care of. If you are Select, you don't have the same servers (necessarily) every night and would have no idea who to tip at the end of the cruise. Makes sense to me; however, my TA pays them.;)

Also, lesson learned: if you use the spa and get a mani or pedi or anything, you are charged 18% (or so) so don't do what I did a few years ago and give them 20% of the total.:)

The reason/difference is that with the prepaid gratuities, there is no way to make a downward adjustment to the amount. You can always tip more in cash, but you can't tip less.

Apparently, management was concerned that without the repeated personal contact with the same MDR service team, people would be more likely to make a downward adjustment in the gratuities.

Archived