Oosterdam - Tracy Arm

sail7seas

So......

We got a notice today that instead of arriving at Tracy Arm at 7 A.M. for scenic cruising of the glaciers, we will now arrive at 4 P.M. for operational reasons.

For you experts, am I correct in assuming we can just about scrub the thought of seeing anything very much?

Oh, yes...... we're also arriving an hour late at Victoria. Seeing it's the last night of our cruise, doesn't seem like we'll even bother to get off the ship. By the time the ship clears and we can go ashore, why bother?

I'm sorry for those who really had their heart set on a full day of Tracy Arm and maybe the hour will end lots of plans people made in Victoria.

Yes, of course, I understand these things happen all the time.

This is just a FYI.

The abbreviated visit to Tracy Arm is indeed unfortunate. As I recall, when we visited it was not for a full day. We were on the first ship in that season-actually late April-and the sights were spectacular. Saw a lot of wildlife and great scenery. You will probably be ok if you can spend 4 hours or so there.

Gary

Did anyone on a May or other June Oosterdam June cruise get the same notice?

I may have been INCORRECT IN THE FACTS in my post.

I looked at the itinerary attached to our confirmation and my eye skipped down from Tracy Arm to Juneau. Juneau has a 7 A.M. scheduled arrival but it is blank beside arrival time next to Tracy Arm.

After checking the HAL site, I find none of the cruise dates for that cruise show an arrival time at Tracy Arm. I had not noticed that previously. My eye kept skipping the 7 A.M. indicated for Juneau.

So......

Oh, yes...... we're also arriving an hour late at Victoria. Seeing it's the last night of our cruise, doesn't seem like we'll even bother to get off the ship. By the time the ship clears and we can go ashore, why bother?

The Victoria harbor is delightful to walk around if only for an hour or two. Daylight will be much later than on the east coast also, being much further north. It's a beautiful little city, wonderful British shops along the waterfront which I'm sure would be open at night with a cruise ship in, gorgeous flowers, and very safe. And of course going into the famous Empress Hotel is a highlight, too. We take the high speed ferry from Seattle for a day there whenever we are in Seattle and even a couple of hours in the evening would be a highlight.

For you experts, am I correct in assuming we can just about scrub the thought of seeing anything very much?

I think you can still expect to see beautiful scenery for quite a while.

Remember, when you go the days are very long, so there's plenty of daylight. The play of light and shadow will change as the ship moves along. I would be hoping for good weather, and looking forward to the ride.

The Victoria harbor is delightful to walk around if only for an hour or two. Daylight will be much later than on the east coast also, being much further north. It's a beautiful little city, wonderful British shops along the waterfront which I'm sure would be open at night with a cruise ship in, gorgeous flowers, and very safe. And of course going into the famous Empress Hotel is a highlight, too. We take the high speed ferry from Seattle for a day there whenever we are in Seattle and even a couple of hours in the evening would be a highlight.

How long is the ferry ride?

We are staying at a lovely hotel with a concierge etc so I'm sure they could sort the details for our making such a visit if we decide to do so.

Thanks for the suggestion. Something for us to look into.

Thanks, Ruth. Yes, I remember that it gets dark late, we have late dinner, so hopefully, DH can get enough views of the glacier to make him happy. He is so looking forward to this trip.

Yes we got the same notice! And you are right there was no indication previously of what time we were doing Tracy Arm. The reaon given was "operational". I wonder if Oosterdam is having problems on the Hawaii cruise.

Ferry from Seattle to Victoria is 3 hours. I HIGHKY recommend flying via Kenmore Aur from the seaplane base. It's 35 minutes if gorgeous scenery from takeoff to docking in downtow Victoria.

Regarding arrival in Teacy Arm, that time gives you plenty of daylight (light until 10 pm at least). In Victoria, you can walk to the harbor in about 20-30 minutes each way. It's a nice walk and he harbor is beautiful. Victoria is one of our favorite places, we visit at least once a year.

Buchart Gardens is not to be missed. :)

We are staying at a lovely hotel with a concierge etc so I'm sure they could sort the details for our making such a visit if we decide to do so.

Thanks, Ruth. Yes, I remember that it gets dark late, we have late dinner, so hopefully, DH can get enough views of the glacier to make him happy. He is so looking forward to this trip.

LOL. It's a full day. The Victoria Clipper takes 3 hrs each way. We leave around 7 AM and return about 9 PM, but we stay in Seattle longer than you will be.

But just an hour or 2 walking around the harbor while the ship is there would be a delightful way to end your cruise and not miss a very nice very British port. I'm sure the hotel or ship concierge could make dinner reservations for you at a recommended restaurant or just stop in somewhere for dessert on the waterfront rather than just staying on the ship.

We also received the notice. We are booked on the Tracy Arm Explorer the next day, so we will hopefully get to see some beautiful sights there anyway. I cancelled our horse and buggy ride in Victoria. A shame, but c'est la vie!

It can be light out till 10-11 pm so I think you will have plenty of time to see the sights at Tracy Arm. That's what is so nice about Alaska, daylight is in abundance.

Victoria is a beautiful city, just take a walk about. There is a bus that will take you down town. They will give you a short narration of the town, and then you can just walk around for an hour or so. Victoria is well worth making the effort as others have said.

Got the same notice for our May 27th sailing. Called customer service. First person (not so very nice): "so what's your question?". Me: "Could you tell me what the operational issues are?" He: "Well... you're not getting a credit or refund or anything, if that's what you're asking."

Whaaaat?????? :confused:

OK, I asked for a supervisor. Got transferred.

He proceeded to read the email to me verbatim. Then said (I am not kidding): "So what is your question?"

Me: "Can you please clarify the operational issues, because we are loosing almost a 1/2 day of Tracy Arm viewing?". He placed me on hold and came back on and said: "I talked to the marketing department and the reason is that we will be leaving late due to congestion at the port. Therefore we will arrive later, too."

Whaaaaat????? :confused:

I asked how much later we would leave Seattle, because we would already have been at Sea 2+ days when reacing Tracy Arm, so the port congestion delay must be at Seattle? He said: "It can also be that the ship is having issues."

Whaaaat????? :confused:

Yours Truly..... Dazed and Confused.... (And not even on Bonnie (sp?) yet!) :p

Got the same notice for our May 27th sailing. Called customer service. First person (not so very nice): "so what's your question?". Me: "Could you tell me what the operational issues are?" He: "Well... you're not getting a credit or refund or anything, if that's what you're asking."

Whaaaat?????? :confused:

OK, I asked for a supervisor. Got transferred.

He proceeded to read the email to me verbatim. Then said (I am not kidding): "So what is your question?"

Me: "Can you please clarify the operational issues, because we are loosing almost a 1/2 day of Tracy Arm viewing?". He placed me on hold and came back on and said: "I talked to the marketing department and the reason is that we will be leaving late due to congestion at the port. Therefore we will arrive later, too."

Whaaaaat????? :confused:

I asked how much later we would leave Seattle, because we would already have been at Sea 2+ days when reacing Tracy Arm, so the port congestion delay must be at Seattle? He said: "It can also be that the ship is having issues."

Whaaaat????? :confused:

Yours Truly..... Dazed and Confused.... (And not even on Bonnie (sp?) yet!) :p

While they may have seen rude and uncaring, and there's no excuse for that, I don't feel they need to explain the 'operational issue' to any passenger. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of details to running a cruise line that the passengers don't need or have the right to know. Losing a few hours of Tracy Arm cruising is not the end of the world and they don't need to justify that to anyone.

There will be better sights than the Tracy arm.. Glacier bay for one or Hubbard. It will be very light when you visit

Earily in the season, historicaly, the ship will not go far into tracy arm due to flow ice presenting a hazard to navigation. So chances are good in earily season you will not go very far in at all compared to later Auust and Septmber.

I did the Victoria stop... my advice is forget any tour there, It will be night when you are there. Stay on the ship and visit via ferry or plane the next day.. it will be way better.

Besides, its your last night and you will have packing and stuff to do for the next morning.

Ferry from Seattle to Victoria is 3 hours. I HIGHKY recommend flying via Kenmore Aur from the seaplane base. It's 35 minutes if gorgeous scenery from takeoff to docking in downtow Victoria.

Regarding arrival in Teacy Arm, that time gives you plenty of daylight (light until 10 pm at least). In Victoria, you can walk to the harbor in about 20-30 minutes each way. It's a nice walk and he harbor is beautiful. Victoria is one of our favorite places, we visit at least once a year.

Buchart Gardens is not to be missed. :)

The chance of me getting on one of those planes is on the very low scale of just about zero. :D

LOL. It's a full day. The Victoria Clipper takes 3 hrs each way. We leave around 7 AM and return about 9 PM, but we stay in Seattle longer than you will be there.

But just an hour or 2 walking around the harbor while the ship is there would be a delightful way to end your cruise and not miss a very nice very British port. I'm sure the hotel or ship concierge could make dinner reservations for you at a recommended restaurant or just stop in somewhere for dessert on the waterfront rather than just staying on the ship.

:rolleyes: Actually, your 'assumption' we have only a very short stay in Seattle is incorrect.

We will have more than the fast in and out stay and it should be enough to provide a day for us to go to Victoria as well as do most of whatever else we have on our 'like to do list'.

I'll contact our hotel concierge prior to our arrival to discuss our perhaps spending a day there as you describe. :)

Concerning Tracy Arm

We have been there on 3 different cruise lines -- never was there a time listed for when we would actually start the approach -- or when we should arrive as close as we can to the glacier.

Only once did we actually get close to the glacier there -- and that was last year. The other times we were quite a distance away before we turned and headed back out -- too much ice flow.

There will be better sights than the Tracy arm.. Glacier bay for one or Hubbard. It will be very light when you visit

Earily in the season, historicaly, the ship will not go far into tracy arm due to flow ice presenting a hazard to navigation. So chances are good in earily season you will not go very far in at all compared to later Auust and Septmber.

I did the Victoria stop... my advice is forget any tour there, It will be night when you are there. Stay on the ship and visit via ferry or plane the next day.. it will be way better.

Besides, its your last night and you will have packing and stuff to do for the next morning.

What??

The Osterdam does only Tracy Arm -- she doesn't go to Hubbard or Glacier Bay!!

Concerning Tracy Arm

We have been there on 3 different cruise lines -- never was there a time listed for when we would actually start the approach -- or when we should arrive as close as we can to the glacier.

Only once did we actually get close to the glacier there -- and that was last year. The other times we were quite a distance away before we turned and headed back out -- too much ice flow.

We got very far up Tracy Arm because it was late in the season. IIRC, they said that in addition to ice, there is the issue of baby and mama seals on the ice floes, so the ships can't go very far up until the babies are old enough and strong enough to swim. (The guide said if they get scared they jump or fall in and can't get out.) I'm pretty sure they told us that in Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay.

For us (on Zuiderdam), Tracy Arm was a half day before docking in Juneau. I think that entering late afternoon should still provide nice views. We sailed there with a few other ships. The change could turn out to be a good thing--maybe going in later will give you the place to yourself.

But just an hour or 2 walking around the harbor while the ship is there would be a delightful way to end your cruise and not miss a very nice very British port.

Agreed. I think we arrived around 6 PM in Victoria on our Amsterdam cruise, September 2007, staying till midnight.

We walked into town and then walked around, checking out the Empress Hotel and a few shops. I think it is worth it.

If the weather is good, (and it could be very lovely) you might take that opportunity for a private in-suite dinner for 2 on your balcony that evening. It will remain light well through late dining, and the cruise through Tracy Arm at that time in the afternoon/evening could be magical depending upon the weather.

Hmmmm we never got any notification of an itinerary change. Was it sent in an e-mail?

Sometimes those changes are only for a few cruises -- maybe even for only one cruise.

On our last cruise St Barts was dropped and substituted with Antiqua -- this happened only on our cruise -- all the other cruises St Barts remained on the itinerary.

You can always call your TA and have then ask HAL if your itinerary date has any changes on it.

Sometimes those changes are only for a few cruises -- maybe even for only one cruise.

On our last cruise St Barts was dropped and substituted with Antiqua -- this happened only on our cruise -- all the other cruises St Barts remained on the itinerary.

You can always call your TA and have then ask HAL if your itinerary date has any changes on it.

We received the e-mail from HAL. Our cruise is in Sept. so it looks like all of the Osterdam Alaskan cruise's will have this itinerary. I don't really care for Tracy's Arm

and we don't usually leave the ship in Victoria anymore but we are still leaving Ketchikan at 1:00 so I wonder why it will take a extra hour to port into Victoria? Maybe because of other ship traffic into that port? But I do feel HAL should give a better answer. If this were my 1st trip I think that I would book on the Westerdam!

Archived