Why not just end formal nights altogether?

So if I understand this correctly, you are saying that, what RCCL says on their website in terms of formal wear and the "Suggestion" regarding what one should wear, differ from what is said on board? It wouldn't surpise me...I'd like to know.

Not surprised at all, just like the website says the solarium is adults only when its 16 and up on the ships.

Not only this, but the same things can varry ship to ship.

Ok guys I'm sorry I ruffled so many feathers. Maybe NCL will be my exclusive sailing line when the "Breakaway" comes to NY.

You guys are STILL missing the point HUGE. I'm not saying people should walk in, in their bathing suits, or in ripped jeans and a baseball hat, I'm just suggesting formal nights, "formal" formal nights go away. God bless those that want to wear a tux, I like nice pants, a nice shirt and look respectable and move on.

Again I apologize for ruffling feathers.

I don't care either way. I don't go for the whole "dress up" game, makes me feel like a Christmas Tree. I don't have any desire to sail NCL at this time however. So I dress nicely and go to the dining room on Formal night and they've never kicked me out. I enjoy seeing tuxedos and formal gowns, just not on me.

Interesting post...you enjoy seeing others dress up and yet choose not to. As loving to dress up or not, (in life) I get your feelings. But the point that you make about enjoying seeing others dress up, I think makes the same point that some of us feel in terms of wanting to particapate with others who do dress up.

Now just in general...

I don't like Halloween. Freaks me out! Having so many friends who like it, I understand that they dress up and go, and I listen to their fun nights.

I'm pretty sure that if I put on a pair of jeans, (or casual for whatever your climate) that I would be looked at as odd if I showed up like that at a Halloween party, or going trick or treating with my neices and nephews.

If the invitation says FORMAL...don't be rude, just choose to decline.

Hey Heidils... I'm going to the MDR every night and I'll wear a nice shirt and dress slacks. If you have a problem, maybe you should do specialty dining on nights you choose to be formal. It says Formal suggested not formal required. Please don't be so judgemental about my dress and I won't judge how you look in that evening gown.

. Please don't be so judgemental about my dress .

If you are wearing a dress we might be talking about something else besides what you are wearing;)

Why not do away with formal nights altogether? BECAUSE SOME OF US LIKE THEM!

Uh, correction:

Because MANY of us like them!

Why noy just enforce the dress code? People will either get with the program, or they will cruise with another line and make room for someone who will comply.

We enjoy every minute of every cruise because we are with people we love...have NEVER let what anyone else wears bother us at all!!! Relax and let it go...you're on a cruise and focusing on what everyone else does give them the power to determine what kind of time you have.

I have enjoyed many cruises without formal days - Windstar and Regent both are very classy without the prentence. I would LOVE to see "formal evenings" gone and in its place a real respect for all the human-beings on the ship. Ah well, I can dream.

:cool:How about giving some of that respect of yours to the cruisers who like formal night and try to make it something special, instead of trying to eliminate it forever. God only knows that RCCL, and casual cruisers have eliminated enough already:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

I don't usually post regarding this subject but I want to add my 2 cents...I have a family of 5 and it is hard to get everyone dressed for pictures at home between work, school and sports. My opinion, and opinion only, is on formal nights you should dress as the night is titled, formal. However, on other nights I don't know why a pair of nice Khaki shorts aren't allowed, even on adults. You see women dressed in capris with nice blouse/shirt yet men have to wear long pants, as they would look really funny in capris :D. My Dh doesn't wear a tux anymore, but does wear his dark suits and will wear them even on non formal nights, excluding the jacket on non formal night. I think part of the atmosphere of formal night is seeing others dressed also. You can argue that it shouldn't matter what your table mates are wearing, but I think few can argue that your demeanor is improved when you are dressed formally as opposed to being in jeans and a t-shirt, even in children.

Ok guys I'm sorry I ruffled so many feathers. Maybe NCL will be my exclusive sailing line when the "Breakaway" comes to NY.

You guys are STILL missing the point HUGE. I'm not saying people should walk in, in their bathing suits, or in ripped jeans and a baseball hat, I'm just suggesting formal nights, "formal" formal nights go away. God bless those that want to wear a tux, I like nice pants, a nice shirt and look respectable and move on.

Again I apologize for ruffling feathers.

I'm assuming you haven't read many dress code threads. Unfortunately, whatever point you were making is moot. This is how every dress code thread in the histrory of CC has gone. ;)

The reason to do away with formal nights is that most of us don't want them. It's a tradition from the past that should go away. The more RCCL focuses on international markets, the faster formal nights will go the way of the dinosaur. Please try to find a way to enjoy dinner that doesn't depend on how the rest of us dress.

:cool:MOST OF US DON'T LIKE EM? dinosaur? Just because you don't like formal night, speak for your self and keep wearing those two-strapper jeans, t-shirts and ball caps. By the way---sail Carnival:cool:

Hey One-Eyed Jack.... Maybe you should open your other eye and read for comprehension. No one is suggesting jeans and a ball cap. We are suggesting nice shirts and dress pants and even socks. I'm not going to bring a suit or sport coat when it's not required. If a Tux inproves your behavior, then maybe it's a good idea for you. And yes Formal nights are a dinosaur, just look at the drop in tuxs on formal nights.

BTW, my family will get their picture taken in our casual clothes. The really mportant thing is that we're enjoying time together.

I'm assuming you haven't read many dress code threads. Unfortunately, whatever point you were making is moot. This is how every dress code thread in the histrory of CC has gone. ;)

Amen, Aqua!

I must admit I don't get the problem, though. The cruise lines seem to have recognized that everyone has different priorities when it comes to dressing up or dressing down in the evenings. They offer venues for everyone's taste through out the time you are on board. You can dress up, you can dress down, you can go somewhere in between and they have many places to dine that allow for each kind of attire on any given night.

I do think that on "formal" nights that people in jeans and t-shirts should be turned away. However, even on formal nights, I see nothing wrong with a woman in a nice Sunday style dress and a man in khaki's and a nice button up with a tie. This may be "formal" in their world and that seems appropriate enough to not disturb the ambiance that many are looking for. The jeans and t-shirt though...not so much. That's more Windjammer attire and should be acknowledged as such, in my opinion.

I'll also throw in that the evil looks outside the dining area is just as inappropriate, to me. Those in a tux and evening gown can sometimes give ugly looks to those in jeans/shorts and t-shirt. Those jeans and t-shirt may have been put on after a tux and evening gown to simply go enjoy the rest of their night...they may very well have been dressed up earlier in the evening for photos and early dinner, but wanted to change to watch a movie on Lido, or possibly even to just hang out because they don't care to stay dressed up. We should each just respect one another and chill a little. :)

Wow....

###

Agree with this assessment, as well. I've stayed in a Garden Villa on the Dawn for 10 days. There was NOTHING "No Class" about it. It was spectacular! :D (as a side note: that cruise had the most "formal" attire I'd ever seen on ANY cruise!!! lol)

Hey One-Eyed Jack.... Maybe you should open your other eye and read for comprehension. No one is suggesting jeans and a ball cap. We are suggesting nice shirts and dress pants and even socks. I'm not going to bring a suit or sport coat when it's not required. If a Tux inproves your behavior, then maybe it's a good idea for you. And yes Formal nights are a dinosaur, just look at the drop in tuxs on formal nights.

BTW, my family will get their picture taken in our casual clothes. The really mportant thing is that we're enjoying time together.

Again you are generalizing without anything to back you up. Have you counted the people in a tux, I haven't seen less than before,besides a tux is not necessary on formal night but a jacket is.You are making statements without any facts, like a child having a temper tantrum saying I wil do as I please no matter what anybody else thinks.:eek:

I don't care if there is a formal night or not BUT that being said I do think that if they are going to continue them then it is only courteous to your fellow cruisers to dress in the "suggested attire" for that evening in the MDR. I do agree that it very much distracts from the ambiance of a formal evening to look around and see people who obviously do not wish to adhere to the dress code for that evening. I can see why those who do choose to dress up and follow the formal attire standard would consider it a slap in the face to be seated next to others who do not choose to adhere to the suggested dress and if definitely impacts the ambiance of the MDR on that evening.

Hey Heidils... I'm going to the MDR every night and I'll wear a nice shirt and dress slacks. If you have a problem, maybe you should do specialty dining on nights you choose to be formal. It says Formal suggested not formal required. Please don't be so judgemental about my dress and I won't judge how you look in that evening gown.

Of course you will, because "It's your cruise and you will do whatever you like." However, the dress code is esspecially intended for the MDR. So I will dress accordingly. If you choose to dress down you should choose an alternate dining area.

PS If you were my table mate in a nice shirt and dress slacks I'm sure we would have something else to talk about. It's just that the debate here seems to be whether formal night should be discontinued or what contsitues "Formal" night.

I can only say that Dictionary.com is a site that I use often.

Please tell me where you see "Formal suggested?" It's FORMAL! They list secondly what is "suggested" as appropriate attire for FORMAL night for those who can't understand.

Again you are generalizing without anything to back you up. Have you counted the people in a tux, I haven't seen less than before,besides a tux is not necessary on formal night but a jacket is.You are making statements without any facts, like a child having a temper tantrum saying I wil do as I please no matter what anybody else thinks.:eek:

You can't be serious about the amount of tuxs on formal nights :confused:

Tuxs have all but disappeared from Formal nights.

And Kathy..... please tell me the difference bewteen suggested and required

You can't be serious about the amount of tuxs on formal nights :confused:

Tuxs have all but disappeared from Formal nights.

And Kathy..... please tell me the difference bewteen suggested and required

No they haven't. We see tuxes all the time on cruises. The vast majority of men wear either a suit or a tux on formal night.

I Love formal night and would be disappointed if they did away with it. I think they SHOULD inforce no jeans, shorts or flip flops in dining room. If you want to dress that way go to the buffet or only cruise NCL.

Nobody says you have to wear a tux for men or a gown for ladies you don't even have to wear a sport coat but you should on formal night at least have on a tie.

Probably true...but they have photo ops set up every damn night now.

One thing I didn't like about the Oasis was having to wait for all the photographers to take their pictures while trying to walk through Central Park. On formal nights there were at least 4 photo sessions going on throughout that one particular area.

It's just a suggested dress code. Wear what you want, you're on vacation. As for me, I like formal night, it's more like a special date night and since i don't wear a suit every day at work I don't mind bringing one with on vacation.

I look forward to "special date night", with the most handsome gentleman on the ship.:o

I did just because its a hot topic here. On the freedom I saw three men in a tux the first night and one on the second. That is all. Most men appeared either in a shirt and tie, no jacket or a shirt with slacks.

And on non formal night a girl with the couple at the table next to us one night had on a pair of shorts with her bottom hanging out the back, t-shirts and flip flops.

Doesn't bother me one way or the other but I paid attention because people bicker about it so much here. Its really all irrelevant. The cruise lines chose to not enforce the dress code so any discussion here is moot.

Archived