Help with Plans for Juneau

charliem

Last year we booked with Capt. Larry for whale watching - they also took us out to Mendenhall.

This year we are thinking about renting a car to go to the Salmon Hatchery and Mendenhall on our own. What are other areas that we could see if we have a car? Is renting a car in Juneau a good idea or just take a taxi?

Also - what about a glacier flightseeing trip and walk about. What companies would you recommend?

Thanks,

Charlie

We're renting from Rent-a-Wreck for the day in Juneau. They will pick us up at the dock, take us to their location for paperwork and to pick up the car. At the end of the day, we leave the car in a lot near the cruise terminal for their pickup later.

We're planning to drive to the hatchery, Mendenhall, do the Mt. Roberts tram, Shrine of St. Theresa, ?chapel on the lake at Alaska U, ?Douglas Island, drive to the "end of the road", walk around downtown to see Red Dog Saloon, Alaska State Museum, churches, capitol. I'm having a hard time figuring out a logical order for all these things. Can't find a map that shows the layout of the city and surrounding area. Can anyone whose been there organize our day, or perhaps do you know a link or publication that would help me out in terms of visualizing everything?

Thanks!

The car is NOT a good option for the downtown museums, tram, Red Dog, Capital. Best is to just find parking- can be very tough and walk to these attractions. Or see them before you pick up a car.

But a car is also a good option for the brewery, Glacier Gardens, Last Chance Mine and outlying areas.

As a route- in order from downtown Juneau- Douglas bridge, Hatchery, Mendenhall Glacier, Chapel on the Lake, St. Thersa's Shrine. You need to request the Juneau visitor guide http://www.traveljuneau.com and head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska. Both have detailed maps and further descriptions.

Driving to the end of the road is a great option. There is only 47 miles of the main road, and you can't get lost. On the way out the road, you'll have the option to stop at the hatchery on your left only a couple miles out of town, Auke Bay, where most of the whale watching tours and fishing tours leave from, the Auke Bay Ferry Terminal, Shrine of St. Therese, there are also many pull over type areas to view the Lynn Canal and possible whales and other wildlife.

You will have a very difficult time finding parking for museums, etc. like mentioned above. That is something we are working on here in Juneau. It is even difficult for me to find parking for work every morning.

The weather here is still fabulous. Hope you enjoy your visit.:cool:

Thanks for the itineraries. Gives me an idea of which direction to start anyway! I figured that just walking around downtown would be better than trying to drive to each of those. We'll probably do outlying areas first, then park and walk around downtown later in afternoon.

Thanks for the tips!!!

Archived