6/27 Riviera Upsales ??

joeyg

Good morning,

We are in an Ocean View cabin for the 6/27 Cruise. The ship looks like many openings. Has any one recieved upsale offers?

Thanks,

Joey

I just got off the phone with my TA -- booking a cruise.

I cannot speak to your cruise in particular but my TA told me he a had a whole bunch of upsells for 2012 Marina and Riviera (one May cruise I think) cruises (alas, nothing for my Nautica cruise in 2 weeks) and he thought some were fabulous deals.

Call your TA.

Are the last-minute upsells a discount over what would have been paid for booking the larger stateroom in the first place? For example, if at booking time my veranda cost me $3,000 and the penthouse was $4,500 at the time of booking -- would the upsell be much less than the $1,500 difference in price at the time of booking? Just wondering what sort of a discount they offer for the upsell... if any.

Thanks.

In general, upsells are much less than the original diiference.

This will vary based on O's needs. But, if you want to choose your cabin you won't get it on an upsell. The preferred locations are grabbed almost immeadiately after the cruise is announced, and seldom become available.

Of course the "prefered location" guest might accept an upsell and the parade continues.

The idea is to maximize the cruise line's revenue.

Are the last-minute upsells a discount over what would have been paid for booking the larger stateroom in the first place? For example, if at booking time my veranda cost me $3,000 and the penthouse was $4,500 at the time of booking -- would the upsell be much less than the $1,500 difference in price at the time of booking? Just wondering what sort of a discount they offer for the upsell... if any.

Thanks.

Upsells happen when they have oversold/waitlisted a specific CAT so they offer people in that CAT an upsell or discount to move up or down in CAT

I have seen offers to move from A or B CAT to PH for $500 to $750 pp

Others have moved to suites for a bit more

It really depends on the specific cruise & how many cabins they need & who jumps first on the offer

You can always instruct your TA that if such & such Cat comes up with an upsell offer at a price you are comfortable with just to take it without consulting you

The more time the TA spends trying to contact clients the more chance someone will take the cabin before you reply

I have read that some will call or their TA will and offer a specific amount (less that advertised price) & get a higher CAT by negotiating with the cruise line

Good luck

I agree with LHT28. The offers quoted ARE accurate and may very well apply to YOUR cruise. We are on the June 17th Rivieria and we got a deal like those mentioned. Just call and you will know.

Mark

Thanks very much for the answer. The only experience I've ever had with the cruiseline calling me for an upgrade was with Carnival.

We purchased the moment the cruise was available, and so got the really cheap early saver rates. Over the course of the next 12+ months, the rates went up quite a bit.

When the Carnival rep called us, the upgrade they offered would have made the suites more expensive than what we would have paid if we had just bought them outright at the early saver rate. However, their offer was quite a bit cheaper than the current rate.

Anyway, this is my first cruise on Oceania, so I have no idea if the rates go up or down or how much the upsale/upgrades normally cost. So, thanks for the answers. We won't be changing our staterooms, tho... we're one of those couples who wanted a very specific stateroom, and no way are we giving it up, even for an upgrade. :D

Archived