Money for fjord cruise

PIPER50

Hope you can help - this request is for my elderly mother who is going on a fjord cruise on the Aurora on 19th June. I am aware that she will have an onboard account and she will probably want to settle it in cash - what currency will she need to be able to do so? Euro or GBP?

Secondly what currency will she need for coffee's, snacks etc in Norway itself?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I am off on a Fjords cruise in 10 days for the 2nd time, and am just taking £200 worth of Norweigan K, as its soooo expensive I don't expect to be buying much - if you get my drift.... pint of beer is £10, coffee or glass pepsi £5 etc etc, no 'holiday presents' for relatives when a fridge magnet is £8-10...:eek: And I don't want to take too much as will loose out on converting it back when i get home. With Euros I just keep leftover notes for next holiday.

If she has tours booked, quite a few include a coffee and cake minimum, and then take you back to ship so no spending money needed, as the ship docks next to the town in many places, we will probably have lunch onboard, before or after our tour.

Usually I eat out at lunchtime abroad, but not in Norway !

As already mentioned, remind mum to take her VISA /Credit or debit card with her as all spend on ship will be put on her card, not just coffees, but photos, gifts from the shop, hairdressers appointments, bar drinks, tours everything. The ship is cash free, even tips are now added to this onboard account for her cabin.

We often think prices in Norway are rather what you would pay in a motor way service station for coffee and cake .... We take euros ashore as most touristy places take them...

You have to lodge a CC at check in , but can pay the cash into the on board account but why carry that much cash? far better to have a card even if its only used for cruises... she can drawer cash out on it with no charge on board and settle the whole thing with no charge once home.

I know motorway service stations are expensive, but I have never paid £15 for an open sandwich or £30 for a nine inch pizza!

Of the £100 we withdrew from the pursar desk we returned just under half and paid for Mt Floyen fenicular and oil museum tickets from this, so you can get away with spending very little.

I did buy a jumper, but for larger spends we use a credit card.

Archived