Harbor Nights - Cruise Excursion or Taxi?

meperson

I have a sailing to Bermuda and want to attend the Harbor Nights festival on September 5 (from what I gather, the last night of the season). Celebrity is looking for $30/pp for the excursion, which really amounts to transportation to/from Hamilton.

Is that worth it? What would a taxi cost from dockyard to the festival in Hamilton? I figure if its about the same, wouldn't it be worth it (more comfortable?) to skip the bus and be able come/go as I please?

Thanks in advance for any replies or help!

We enjoy the ferry to/from Hamilton because it's scenic. The bus ride is also excellent. Will you be traveling the island on other days? If so there are daily and other passes available that are good for both the bus and ferry. There's a ticket office near the King's Wharf dock. If this is your only trip I would say just use the excursion.

I have a better, faster and less expensive solution...take the ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton and return...$4 in each direction...buy tokens in advance, as no cash is accepted on the ferry.

If you're going to be doing additional ferry or bus trips, consider buying a transportation pass...1 day pass $12, 2 day pass $20, 3 day pass $28....unlimited use for those days.

From what I understand, the festival runs from 7:00-10:00PM. Do ferries run that late?

There are additional runs made on Harbour Nights...last ferry back is at 10 pm. Here's the schedule:

http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_13212_283_1766_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/sea_express/dept___seeaexpress__ferry_schedule_new/2012_single_sheet_schedule_web_.pdf

I have a sailing to Bermuda and want to attend the Harbor Nights festival on September 5 (from what I gather, the last night of the season). Celebrity is looking for $30/pp for the excursion, which really amounts to transportation to/from Hamilton.

Is that worth it? What would a taxi cost from dockyard to the festival in Hamilton? I figure if its about the same, wouldn't it be worth it (more comfortable?) to skip the bus and be able come/go as I please?

Thanks in advance for any replies or help!

I was just in Bermuda a week ago for a land vacation and we really enjoyed Harbor Nights. We ended up hanging out after the festival at a popular restaurant/bar, which has live entertainment that starts at 10:00 p.m. If you want to eat in Hamilton, some of the restaurants have outdoor seating on the balcony overlooking Front Street where all the action is during the festival. Tables are limited on the balcony, especially on Harbor Night, so get there a little early.

If you want to hang out at a bar (there are a lot of good ones in Hamilton) after the festival like we did and not rush to catch the last ferry back to the ship, you could take the ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton, pay the $4 pp charge, and then take a taxi back to the ship whenever you want. I think the cost of the taxi would run about $50, which would end up being less expensive than the ship's excursion at $30 pp, and you would be able to return whenever you wanted to.

I was just in Bermuda a week ago for a land vacation and we really enjoyed Harbor Nights. We ended up hanging out after the festival at a popular restaurant/bar, which has live entertainment that starts at 10:00 p.m. If you want to eat in Hamilton, some of the restaurants have outdoor seating on the balcony overlooking Front Street where all the action is during the festival. Tables are limited on the balcony, especially on Harbor Night, so get there a little early.

If you want to hang out at a bar (there are a lot of good ones in Hamilton) after the festival like we did and not rush to catch the last ferry back to the ship, you could take the ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton, pay the $4 pp charge, and then take a taxi back to the ship whenever you want. I think the cost of the taxi would run about $50, which would end up being less expensive than the ship's excursion at $30 pp, and you would be able to return whenever you wanted to.

Sounds like a lot of fun. What time do they have the parade if you recall, and how late can one get a cab?

Is there any chance that last ferry back to Dockyard at 10 p.m. will be full? Or is there always room for everyone?

There is a small chance that could happen, but the ferry operator may have a second ferry available for the over flow. Anyway, you could take a route #8 bus back to the Dockyard. The last one departs Hamilton at 10:45pm.

SBtS

There is a small chance that could happen, but the ferry operator may have a second ferry available for the over flow. Anyway, you could take a route #8 bus back to the Dockyard. The last one departs Hamilton at 10:45pm.

SBtS

Thanks - you are such a great resource!

Sounds like a lot of fun. What time do they have the parade if you recall, and how late can one get a cab?

We had a blast! We were inside at one of the restaurants while the parade was going on, so we just heard all the excitement going on outside, but it was probably around 7:30. They had bands playing on the stage just in front of the pier on Front Street (across from Burnaby Street). They close off Front Street to traffic, so people are dancing and walking around. The restaurants are open later. Many of the bars stay open until pretty late even the ones in the restaurants. Some have live music that starts at 10:00 when the festival is over, so taxis run until pretty late. The taxis are independently owned, so there is no set time that they stop running, but I believe the rates do go up after a certain hour. They are everywhere and easy to get. If you google Bermuda taxi rates, you will get a better idea.

BTW, Librarylady, your profile photo doesn't quite match the name -- is that a chocolate martini?. LOL! If you need any info on what bars were our favorites, just ask.

Is there any chance that last ferry back to Dockyard at 10 p.m. will be full? Or is there always room for everyone?

We were on an "almost full" ferry there. Wherever we are if we need to make that ferry we just make sure we're in line in plenty of time so that isn't a concern. We've also taken the last bus back, the bus was very empty for that trip.

............. Some have live music that starts at 10:00 when the festival is over, so taxis run until pretty late. The taxis are independently owned, so there is no set time that they stop running, but I believe the rates do go up after a certain hour. They are everywhere and easy to get. If you google Bermuda taxi rates, you will get a better idea.

Taxis charge a 25% surcharge on fares after midnight.

SBtS

We had a blast! We were inside at one of the restaurants while the parade was going on, so we just heard all the excitement going on outside, but it was probably around 7:30. They had bands playing on the stage just in front of the pier on Front Street (across from Burnaby Street). They close off Front Street to traffic, so people are dancing and walking around. The restaurants are open later. Many of the bars stay open until pretty late even the ones in the restaurants. Some have live music that starts at 10:00 when the festival is over, so taxis run until pretty late. The taxis are independently owned, so there is no set time that they stop running, but I believe the rates do go up after a certain hour. They are everywhere and easy to get. If you google Bermuda taxi rates, you will get a better idea.

BTW, Librarylady, your profile photo doesn't quite match the name -- is that a chocolate martini?. LOL! If you need any info on what bars were our favorites, just ask.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I consider myself an unorthodox librarian....DH and I are both public library directors actually. That was a drink from the Miolecular bar on Celebrity Eclipse...a tanned Russian as I recall.

Would love to hear about best bars/pubs DH is a homebrewer and loves British beers.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I consider myself an unorthodox librarian....DH and I are both public library directors actually. That was a drink from the Miolecular bar on Celebrity Eclipse...a tanned Russian as I recall.

Would love to hear about best bars/pubs DH is a homebrewer and loves British beers.

Your DH would probably enjoy the Frog & Onion at King's Wharf. It's a brewery and restaurant open until 9:30 p.m. The bar may stay open later.

Bermuda's signature drinks are the Rum Swizzle (my favorite) and the Dark and Stormy, which is ginger beer (a local soda similar to ginger ale) and dark rum.

We absolutely loved the Barracuda Grill on Barnaby Hill in Hamilton. We had dinner there our first night, and went back 3 more times to spend time at the bar with the bartender, Ryan. Tell him "hello" from Kim and Jim if you do go.

We went to the Pickled Onion during Harbor Nights (Wednesday) which had a live band that started at 10:00. The same band played at the Rumbar at Victoria's on Saturday night. We had a great time there too with the outdoor seating and lava heat lamps blasting. Great atmosphere.

Coconuts at the Reefs in Southampton looked like a fun place, but unfortunately there was a private party going on the night we went there so we didn't get to experience it. It is on the beach with torches, music. It is a must-do for my next trip, but I would call first to make sure it is open to the public and nothing special was going on.

If the weather is nice, try Blu Bar & Grill at Belmont Hills in Warwick. The view is spectacular overlooking the harbour. You can see all the way to King's Wharf. Sit out on the terrace and watch the sunset. Awesome. The food is pretty good too. They offer everything from pizza to sushi.

We did not enjoy Little Venice Wine Bar, although they have the most amazing wine selection. They were just a little rude the night that we stopped by. We did, however, enjoy Fresco's Wine Bar which is part of Maria's Italian Restaurant. The bartender Alesandro was excellent. Please tell him "hello" for me. It is a quaint little wine bar located on a little cobblestone alley street that runs between Front Street and Reid Street in Hamilton.

Hog Penny is the bar that was the inspiration for the Cheers bar. It has open mic night on Thursday nights starting at 9:30, which was a lot of fun. It is located on Barnaby Hill Road in Hamilton right next door to the Barracuda Grill.

I hope all this helps.

Archived