Very Last minute Rome transfer question.

Jane T

We are thinking about booking a cruise that leaves 6 days from now. We arrive at the Rome airport in the morning and cruise leaves at 5. We are hoping we can spend a few hours enjoying Rome but I have no idea if that's feasible given that we will have luggage. Does anyone have any ideas of what types of transportation I should look into, the rates, how to handle luggage? I don't even know how far from each other are the airport vs port vs somewhere to spend some time. Ugh, am I crazy for trying to do this so quickly???:eek:

You're not crazy for booking a last minute cruise, but you are probably overestimating what you'll be able to accomplish in one day.

The port for Rome is Civitavecchia, which is 40 miles (between 45 minutes to a hour) north of the airport and 40 miles northwest (between 60 - 90 minutes, or more in traffic) of downtown Rome.

If you are arriving from the US or Canada, by the time you get through passport control and get your luggage it will probably be at least 9 AM. You could go into the city and check your luggage at the left luggage office at the main train station, Termini, then spend a few hours roaming around Rome before taking the train to Civitavecchia.

It's possible, but factor in how tired you are likely to be after an overnight flight before making your decision. If you want to go for it we can help you with the details.

We are thinking about booking a cruise that leaves 6 days from now. We arrive at the Rome airport in the morning and cruise leaves at 5. We are hoping we can spend a few hours enjoying Rome but I have no idea if that's feasible given that we will have luggage. Does anyone have any ideas of what types of transportation I should look into, the rates, how to handle luggage? I don't even know how far from each other are the airport vs port vs somewhere to spend some time. Ugh, am I crazy for trying to do this so quickly???:eek:

Personally, I wouldn't even attempt this. By the time you get your luggage and get going at the airport, you still have a ride of about 30 minutes into the city, it could take more time depending on traffic. You want to be on the ship AT LEAST 2 hours before sail away, and Rome center is about an hour away from Civitavecchia, the port. In that short time you are not going to be able to see much of anything in

Rome, and chance missing your ship. That would make me way to nervous to even enjoy myself.

You will be tired from an overnight flight, just proceed to the port, board the ship, and enjoy your first day onboard.

Can you possibly spend a day or two in Rome post cruise?

Thanks for the information! It's very helpful to have an idea of the distances involved. If we were to just go to the port directly from the airport, what's the best way, taking a cab? Are there other ways to get from the airport or downtown to the port? Is there anything around the port, a cafe or nice area to walk?

Hi Jane

We have just booked with Romecabs as they are highly recommended both here and on Trip advisor.

They have what they call a VIP service where they pick you up from the airport and then you can either choose to do the one hour tour where they drive you around past the main sights or the two hour tour they will stop at some of the places and also for a coffee break.

You could then have them continue on for the transfer down to Citivecchia which is about one and a half hours away.

If you factor in getting your bags which apparently can take anything from 20mins to 45mins or more, the tour around Rome and then the drive to the port you will have used some time. Hopefully by then you will be allowed to get on board and relax even if you might not get access to your cabin straight away.

Hope this helps.:)

Julie

Thanks for the information! It's very helpful to have an idea of the distances involved. If we were to just go to the port directly from the airport, what's the best way, taking a cab? Are there other ways to get from the airport or downtown to the port? Is there anything around the port, a cafe or nice area to walk?

You can easily walk around the town of Civitavecchia, it's right at your feet as you exit the port.

A cab isn't the best idea due to the distance; I think a car service is a better deal in this particular situation. Folks here have their favorites which they are happy to share.

Best case going directly from the airport to the cruise port puts you there around 10 AM; even if you can't board then you'll be able to drop your bags and head out for a walk.

Archived