Fantasy St. Maartin excursions

cwaz

Any recommendation for an excursion while in St Maarten with my DH and DD's ages 10 and 7?

Is shopping in walking distance from port?

Any recommendations on family beaches to go to?

Thanks

There is alittle shopping right at the dock, how ever the best way to shop there is to pay for the water taxi. It is right at the end of the pier on the left. There is a huge sign so you cant miss it. I think it was $5 per adult round trip and less for kids. You can go back and forth all day on it to shopping.

They have 2 stops, one at each end of the shopping area so you can go from one end to the other and not have to walk all the way back to catch the water taxi back.

Its only a 5 minute ride, if that. You can easily see the ship from the pier it lets you off at. Now some do walk to the area but its a run down industrial district and I wouldnt feel good about walking there. Just my opinion. They take cash only!! They put a wrist band on you, so leave it on until your done riding for the day. Dozens of stores, be sure and go down the small side streets for some of the best buys, plus there is an open air market down one of them thats fun to go through and dicker for prices on clothes.

Take small bills for this as many dont have much change so they will try to keep the $10 and not give you change if it was an $8 item.

Most dont but a couple have tried. DONT let them stop you to get your hair braided!! Way too many problems with that. Unclean combs, not washed between uses, plus many will quote one price then demand more when done. Do it on the ship or on Castaway Cay where things are sanitized and they will keep to their price if you want this done.

I will have to think about excursions and get back to you. Been on so many crusies I dont want to recommend one and then remember it wasnt on St. Maartin.:o

Kathy

The semi sub ride is fun. I think it was called something like the Seaworld Explorer reef excursion? I thought it might seem scary or tight quarters but it was fun and there were plenty of fish to see. But be warned if they have had any rough seas recently the water may be a bit cloudy, thats the chance you take. But it is a fun excursion for a family to do.

They have an extension of this excursion called the See and Sea Island tour which includes a narrated bus ride as well as the Undersea part. This is what we did and enjoyed all the scenic views.

The Island Drive and Explorer cruise is fun too. Its not exciting but you do see lots of the island to get an idea of what it looks like away from the tourist areas. makes you appreciate what you have! The bus ride is scenic and narrated and the boat ride was fun. We sat upstairs and so we got to watch the entertainment instead of just hearing it. A man was singing and he was teasing everyone there. That was really fun, so be sure and sit upstairs if thats where he is still at. You'll know right away and its ok to change seats anytime.

There is a little shopping where they stop for bit to get off the boat but mostly expensive shops unless you walk down by the water and ther is a small open air market. The boat is the best part of this scenic tour. Like I said its NOT a thrilling or exciting excursion but it is good to see what the island is really like and has some good scenic vies.

Your kids are probably too old to enjoy the Butterfly farm, its good for little ones.

We have done many other excursions here but they are no longer offered and they have new ones which we havnt done yet, so those are the only family ones I can personally vouch for.

I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter what you do.

Also right by the shopping pier I mentioned in the above post there is a nice clean public beach. They have chairs and umbrellas there that you must rent. There are clean restrooms there and plenty of food choices right along the beach areas there. So maybe shop alittle then play in the water some while relaxing in a beach chair with a nice tropical drink watching the kids enjoy the water.

Your recommendation of ....So maybe shop alittle then play in the water some while relaxing in a beach chair with a nice tropical drink watching the kids enjoy the water....sounds like my idea of a GREAT day!

Thank you!!

Been to St. Martaan many times. Have been on snorkling excursion, island sight seeing, my favorite is to take water taxi to the beach. There u can shop, relax on the beach, and chill out. Was there in Dec with kids/grandkids; rented jetski's for the kids; they loved it. The water and entire area is very nice.

When you get off the ship; there will be a band playing and a bunch of shops at the pier. As you walk past the shops you will see a sign that says water taxi. It is on the left side of the dock; most people getting off the ship will be headed there. You go to the counter and buy a round trip water taxi ticket. It is cash only.. They don't take credit cards; so if you have a large group, have cash on hand. I believe the taxi rate was $7 dollars round trip.

We are thinking about buying snorkle gear and bringing it along ($25 per person to rent on CC). Thought we would just hit a beach and go on our own in St. M.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

We really enjoy Orient Beach over on the French side. It's beautiful! You can get there by taxi. My only advice when traveling with children is to stay toward the north end of the beach. The far south end has a nudist beach area. Unless that's what you're looking for. ;) We were having a drink on the beach near that end and I got a view of "grandpa" that I'd rather erase from my mind. :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like a more "family friendly" beach - I would recommend Le Galion. We took a taxi van to the butterfly farm (not really worth it IMO) and then walked to the beach. It is close to Orient Beach so you will want to get a taxi to Orient but ask the driver to take you to LeGalion.

It is an absolutely beautiful beach. In a protected cove so not many waves. You can rent a chair and umbrella for $10. There is a good beach hut at the end for food and restrooms. We loved it!

Archived