Strenuous Excursions

Glitter22

One of the excursions we are interested in is described by Celebrity as "strenuous". What do they mean by this?

Can anyone give me an example of a trip they've done which was described this way?

In Europe, it means lots of uneven payment, steps, steep inclines, no shade, lots of walking.

If you have any issues with you legs or feet don't pick these tours.

An example was the ship tour of the Acropolis, some in our tour didn't even make it to the top , others stayed about 15 minutes and then went down and waited for the rest of us, in the shade at the entrance to the mount.

I've taken 'strenuous' excursions that meant walking 2-3 miles. I didn't find it very strenuous at all. As a previous poster said, I think Celebrity is pulling a CYA for insurance purposes.

However, if you don't think you are able to fit into an activity you really shouldn't take the excursion and possibly ruin a trip for everyone else. I remember going on a bike ride down the volcano in Hawaii. It wasn't really strenuous, but one of the participants had never really ridden a bike before. It was dangerous for her really slowed the whole trip for everyone else.

We once did a Celebrity excursion biking down the Haleakala Volcano on Maui. It was described as "strenuous", and came with all sorts of warnings, but as it was just a downhill bikeride it really wasn't strenuous at all. I find the trick with judging the true nature of an X excursion is to read the in depth description, rather than just looking at the rating.

Glitter - If you know the name of the excursion or can tell us what port and a description, then someone who has actually taken the tour might see your post and give you a description of the what they did.

The term strenuous does seem to mean many things. I've had strenuous mean climbing 381 steps to the top of a volcano (I agree with that one! WHEW!) or walking a couple miles on on uneven, rocky/muddy trails (not too bad), but also snorkeling excursions where some people chose to spend the time laying on the beach (not strenuous!).

lol... it varies.

I did the Dunn River Falls climb on another line and it was only described as 'moderate' but you are literally going up the middle of the falls which are pouring down against you and the week before someone had fallen and broken something. Let's put it this way, I would never do that one again.

So, it's all a big mystery sometimes. ;)

lol... it varies.

I did the Dunn River Falls climb on another line and it was only described as 'moderate' but you are literally going up the middle of the falls which are pouring down against you and the week before someone had fallen and broken something. Let's put it this way, I would never do that one again.

So, it's all a big mystery sometimes. ;)

That reference brought back memories !! When we did that excursion, I spent the majority of the walk/climb assisting other passengers (the 2 guides somehow were never where they needed to be to help)...several passengers were slightly injured/scraped/bruised etc. Fun, Fun, Fun....;)

Everyone said afterwards that I should have been paid for my assistance on the tour !!:D...but for some reason, the guides weren't about to share any tips, and nobody forked over any cash :(

Woody

We just got back from a cruise where in St. Lucia we did a Rain Forest Bike Ride. It was listed as strenuous. It was. There were lots of up and down hills. It was a great excurison, but it lived up to its name. No one on our particular trip made it up the first hill without getting off bike and walking/walking the bike. :)

I think you can basically tell from most excurision titles. If there are a lot of steps, they may caution you also.

Also did a Segway excurision that was listed as active. Not much active effort needed though. It was outside in heat/sun and you did need to be able to balance/step on-off segway correctly. Best excursion I ever have done. We were in an open field for part of excursion. Avoided sheep, cows and cow pods.

There were NO sedentary/overweight people on either of those 2 excursions. :)

I think your age and general health is factored in. When I look for the activity level, it's mostly for my husband who is 74 and has had heart surgery. Moderate is the highest I'd go for us.

Celebrity excursions also list factors like pregnancy, child's height, heart problems, etc.

It really does vary quite a bit, so reading the description is a big help, as is the suggestion of posting a question about the excursion on the Celebrity boards to get feedback. If you think it is not an excursion that will sell out before sailing, you can also always go talk to the staff at the Excursion desk - they have been pretty knowledgeable when we have done that. If there is a chance of a sell-out, check the cancellation policy before you book. I don't recall what it is but depending on the timing it may be possible to pre-book and cancel after you talk to them if it sounds too difficult.

I guess after two weeks on a cruise, all the eating, no exercise and a sedentary lifestyle at home could cause a one way trip for the pax on some of those "strenuous trips".

We haven't encountered one, yet, that seemed too bad physically. Although not physical, those marathon excursions like the day trip to Moscow from St Pete or the day trip from Alexandria to Cairo are grueling.

Glitter - If you know the name of the excursion or can tell us what port and a description, then someone who has actually taken the tour might see your post and give you a description of the what they did.

Tour no. LV34 to Cinque Terre from Livorno.

The description says "Guests must be able to walk for approximately 2 hours over various surfaces, with extended periods of standing and numerous steps."

It doesn't sound particularly strenuous to me but I think it would be for some people. Presumably they are talking about people of average fitness otherwise they would specifically say "not suitable for.........." On a typical city excursion i would expect to walk more than 2 miles over the course of the whole day.

Archived