Help! Disembarking in Vancouver, flight at 11:30 am

This is our first cruise experience so I don't know what to expect. We are docking in Vancouver at 7:30 am on a Saturday in July. Our flight leaves at 11:30 am. We haven't booked any transfers to the airport as of yet. How do we go about disembarking so that we can make it to the airport on time? Should we use Princess transfers? A cab? There are 6 of us travelling together. Thanks for your help!

You'll need 2 taxis for 2 people (cabs here are small and Toyota Prius are common as cabs - even a minivan is unlikely to hold 6 pax + bags).

If your party is mobile, it'll cost $2.50 x 6 to take the skytrain to the airport. 9 minutes between trains (you want the airport train on the so-called Canada line). Take you there within 40 minutes.

Be aware that you do need to be there at least an hour ahead to pre-clear U.S. immigration and weekends in summer are usually busy travel days (cruise traffic, of course).

If you get there by 10a, I say it'll be tight.

I'd use a cab and sign up for self-disembarkation (you have to handle your own luggage possibly down stairs!) as early as possible. When we flew out of vancouver, it was 15 mins to check in 45 mins for bag drop, and the customs line for non-elite fliers/coach was 2.5 hours...

This is our first cruise experience so I don't know what to expect. We are docking in Vancouver at 7:30 am on a Saturday in July. Our flight leaves at 11:30 am. We haven't booked any transfers to the airport as of yet. How do we go about disembarking so that we can make it to the airport on time? Should we use Princess transfers? A cab? There are 6 of us travelling together. Thanks for your help!

You'll need to do self-disembarkation which means carrying everything off yourself without any assistance, going down escalators, etc. That way, you'll be one of the first passengers off. You sign up for this during the cruise. A form will be placed in your cabin a day or two before disembarkation. Space is limited so make sure you sign up early.

You'll need at least 2-3 cabs, depending on the size of the cab. You will not be able to book Princess transfers as an 11:30am flight is just way too early. It's fine for FLL where the airport is just 10 minutes away and you don't have to go through US Customs & Immigration for entry into the US at the airport. When you get to the airport, you'll go through check-in, then go through US Customs and Immigration (before you even get on the plane) and then Security. It can easily take 2-2 1/2 hours from the time you arrive at the airport. Vancouver is an absolute zoo on disembarkation day. If you're off the ship by 8am, you might make your flight. The only way I'd consider an 11:30am flight out of Vancouver is if I stayed overnight and was able to control what time I headed to the airport.

I sure wouldnt risk the frantic nature of getting off the ship early and getting to airport then checked in and customs clearance to catch the flight - this could put a very bad spin on what would otherwise be a fabulous trip - don't do it!

I work at YVR. An 11:30 a.m. flight is not a problem if you choose express walk off. When you take the Princess coach, your luggage does not go on the bus with you. It is trucked to the airport and occasionally there are delays. Get a couple taxi vans or even SUVs from Aerocar. They cost a little more than taxis but you can pre-order them and they will be waiting for you when you debark. No waiting in a massive taxi line as there will be two ships in port, though hardly a zoo. The Canada Line is just a few blocks away but you need to be able to lug all your luggage with you along the sidewalk and station. After you check in with your airline, you drop off your bags, go through security and then through customs. In past it was as Pam said but improvements have been made. It is recommended you arrive at your airline counter at least two hours before flight time. Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

Now I'm getting nervous that we may miss our 11:30 am flight. I don't think I can easily change it at this point without major expense. Does anyone know what time we can get off the ship in Vancouver if we self-disembark? We are flying Vancouver to Toronto, then change planes back to the US. Does that mean we would avoid going through US customs in Vancouver and possibly saves us time that way?

We are flying Vancouver to Toronto, then change planes back to the US. Does that mean we would avoid going through US customs in Vancouver and possibly saves us time that way?

Yes, it will save you the hassle of preclearing U.S. entry at YVR but that means you have to do it at YYZ.

Check-in and baggage drop-off can be a hassle at YVR. Some airlines (namely Westjet) seem to be better organised than others (namely AC). Also look for the security queue. May be faster one way than the other and it's all linked behind.

Still be tight but you cold be saving up 30-60 minutes.

Now I'm getting nervous that we may miss our 11:30 am flight. I don't think I can easily change it at this point without major expense. Does anyone know what time we can get off the ship in Vancouver if we self-disembark? We are flying Vancouver to Toronto, then change planes back to the US. Does that mean we would avoid going through US customs in Vancouver and possibly saves us time that way?

If you are going Domestic, you'll have plenty of time. Check in at the airline, drop your bags and go through security. You will clear customs in Toronto.

If you can handle all of your own luggage and have a reasonable degree of mobility you can self-disembark. There are free luggage carts in the baggage claim area for your use while in the confines of Canada Place. So if you can self-disembark you will be thru Canadian customs and on the curb at Canada Place by 0830 latest, the ships usually tie up between 0600 and 0700. So with that you need 35 Min's to get out to YVR and you need to be out there 2 full hours before your flight time in order to clear US customs and security. Your options for going to out to YVR include, a cab for $35, a limo for $52 plus 12% tax and tip, or walking 3 blocks over to Waterfront Station and taking the Canada Line for $3.75 pp (Canadian funds only but the ticket machines do take US credit cards and most ATM cards). All of this is to say, if you can self-disembark you 1130 flight is quite doable.

Piece of cake! Walk out - get a taxi and you will be there in plenty of time! We did on our Alaska cruise last August! Sister and her husband bought the Princess transfer bus and they said it went well too!

Archived