Port or Starboard on September southbound repo cruise?

GreenDice

First post!

I just booked my first cruise: Sapphire Princess September 7 days from Vancouver to Los Angeles.

I found many discussions on northbound (in May) vs southbound (September) repo cruises. Most posts centered on sea conditions and overall weather. I would like to find people's experience on wind direction in relation with the port or starboard balconies. I am fine with either views (sunset vs sunrise). We hate anything beyond a soft breeze.

Based on my research, the prevailing wind is north/northwest. That should be tailwind and either port or starboard side should be fine. If that is the case, shouldn't I try a forward or starboard balcony to get more sun? A port side cabin might be cold because it is in the shade most of the time?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Peter

Generally, I would think you would get a little more sun on the starboard side. Your ideas about prevailing wind are correct, however, September weather can also provide east or north east winds, particularly in Calif.

I would probably choose starboard for the afternoon sun and setsets however in late September & early October along the coast you are likely going to find temps a bit cool for a lot of balcony sitting until you reach San Francisco.

we did the southbound repo last year - lots of fog

we opted to go cheap & did an inside guarantee - worked great

it was a bit cool on deck for the at sea days so we stayed in the covered pool area - not very crowded

we've done balconies on other coastal cruises & really didn't use them

save the money for a balcony in the Caribbean..:D

We have a starboard side cabin booked for our next southbound repo (Sept. on Golden Princess).

Our last repo cruise was in the other direction, north from LA to VAN and we had starboard...wished we had port that trip for the sunsets.

I disagree about inside vs. balcony cabins on coastal cruises. Now that we have done a couple we thoroughly enjoyed the balcony each time, even in inclement weather.

• 4 weeks later...
I would probably choose starboard for the afternoon sun and setsets however in late September & early October along the coast you are likely going to find temps a bit cool for a lot of balcony sitting until you reach San Francisco.

You have done a few coastal cruises. Would you recommend E731 for the southbound early October if the wind is the only concern?

Hi GreenDice, hope this helps a little bit. We have cruised the West Coast on many occasions, sometimes as part of a short coastal cruise and also as part of longer cruises.

I can only think of one time where the weather was sunny all the way. For the most part you could expect the weather to be cool, damp, rainy with the coast often being fogged in. But, who knows?

Although we always book a balcony or suite we seldom get much use out of the balcony other than for one day in the S. California area. All things being equal we would book starboard side coming north and port heading south, but it's not a deal breaker.

I know your first cruise is exciting, but I would try not to overthink the weather issue, rather concentrate instead on seeing how you like the overall shipboard experience. You'll find you can do as much or as little as you choose, but explore the ship, check out the various activities and entertainment options and see if it's the life for you. You never know, you may become addicted, as many of us have, to life at sea.

Most of all, enjoy your cruise.

You have done a few coastal cruises. Would you recommend E731 for the southbound early October if the wind is the only concern?

As long as you are aware that there are no guarantees re weather and the ability to enjoy it, looking at the deck plan it has to be a pretty good choice. However, this is coming from a guy who is ordinarily midships and forward.

Archived