Wedding ring question for the ladies

dettlja

My rings are sized to fit snuggly and are not easy to remove so I know that they will never "fall off". If I feel unsafe (rare) I spin my diamond inside my palm. I never remove my rings on a trip.

In the end I'm also of the "Its just stuff" camp. I've come close to losing a person so "things" just don't matter so much.

My wife has a nice collection of (expensive) jewerly and brings every piece with us when we travel. Her logic; why have it if I can't wear and enjoy it. Although she doesn't wear jewerly on shore or in any other place of a questionable nature. As far as wearing cheap stuff; bad people don't run around with a jeweler glass stuck in their eyes and won't know if you are wearing something "good" so you could be a target.

I don't not wear mine for fear of being stolen. I dont worry about thieft. I don't wear mine anytime I'm going to swim alot. And since on a cruise we spend so much time swimming it isn't worth bringing to leave in the safe. I do the same at home. We have a boat and anytime we go out on it I leave my rings at home.

I hate to leave my jewelry at home but when I'm on a cruise that's what I do. I have a very expensive ring that I won't take the chance of losing. I absolute adore my ring and leaving it at home isn't the best feeling in the world especially when my husband wears his band but I think I'm better safe than sorry.

On another note, I believe you will stand out if you have on diamonds and other pieces of expensive jewelry. Just keep in mind that especially in "poorer" areas some people make their money by stealing. I'm not saying it's going to happen (and I hope it doesn't) but you have to decide if it's a risk that you're willing to take. I know I'm not. I've lost earrings and I'm still sad about it.

As far as the safe in your cabin goes, I've read about people forgetting their jewelry or pieces falling into a "hole" of some sort and disappearing.

So every travel guide ever written advises not to wear "flashy" jewelry when traveling.

So, Im curious what you ladies do about your wedding rings when cruising and visiting less affluent ports of call.

Do you still wear your rings? Or do you just wear a simple band or in some other way "downsize" to avoid making yourself a target?

I am fortunate enough to have a very nice wedding set. I often question whether I should leave it at home and wear something less expensive when we travel, or wear no ring at all. But I hate not wearing my ring- guess Im still a newlywed (3 yrs) but Im proud to be married and I feel naked without my ring on.

Im curious to hear others take on this... please share.

Jaimee

I always wear my ring but I don't know, maybe it's not THAT flashy? My main concern would be the size of it - you don't want it to fall off, and yes that's happened before! (not to me but my husband lost his band on our last cruise because it was slightly too big and his fingers shrunk while swimming or whatever)

Also I got crap from a customs agent in Port Canaveral once (coming back through after a cruise) who was trying to trip me up thinking I'd bought my engagement ring in the islands ::rolls eyes::

I never really thought about on our past 2 cruises but will seriously think about it in the future although they were not terribly expensive and both can be replaced. I'm not one of those women that put a big emphasis on the actual rings. My marriage is still rock solid after almost 22 years and rings can be replaced. I do like the idea of wearing a cheaper set for vacations and might leave mine at home. Hey I can get a huge rock and pretend its real on my cruise!

So every travel guide ever written advises not to wear "flashy" jewelry when traveling.

So, Im curious what you ladies do about your wedding rings when cruising and visiting less affluent ports of call.

Do you still wear your rings? Or do you just wear a simple band or in some other way "downsize" to avoid making yourself a target?

I am fortunate enough to have a very nice wedding set. I often question whether I should leave it at home and wear something less expensive when we travel, or wear no ring at all. But I hate not wearing my ring- guess Im still a newlywed (3 yrs) but Im proud to be married and I feel naked without my ring on.

Im curious to hear others take on this... please share.

Jaimee

While I understand people being afraid, I wear my rings when we travel and have never had a problem. Can it happen that I get robbed - sure it can. But people's houses can be broken into when they're away on vacation, or they can be robbed outside of where they work, or any other manner of thing like that. It's no more dangerous to wear your jewelry on vacation than it is to wear back home, risks are everywhere. Our house was once broken into while we were asleep upstairs! There are no guarantees in life.

You just have to choose to not live in fear, and to realize that "stuff" is not what's important in life.

Bottom line is, do whatever feels comfortable for you.

i bought a set at kohls for $16 and wear them. i leave my good stuff at home. i also find that on vacation my hands swell so the kohls rings are a size bigger and if i lose them, no big deal.'

I always took my engagement ring on cruises and left it along with my expensive watch in the safe in the cabin when we snorkeled. Then last year we had a scare....barely made it back to the ship....when it looked like we were going to miss the ship I thought about my ring and watch in the safe. I'm supposed to trust that someone will remove them from the safe and I'll be able to reclaim them after I've flown back to the USA?

Now I have an inexpensive wedding band and a dive watch and that's what I travel with.

I always leave them in the safe if I am getting in the water. I, this year however, am going to be wearing just a silver band. I am a nurse and they are changing the rules at work to no diamonds. I work in a specialized area so I completely understand this though.

I generally just take my pretty costume jewellery to the ship and not my expensive things, with the exception of my chocolate pearls...they go with me every time!

Thanks for all the replies!

I think this time around I will wear my simple band and leave the shiny stuff at home in the safe. I just don't trust the in cabin safe- or my brain to remember to remove it from the safe! :eek:

I was blessed with a beautiful set - I designed it - one of a kind. I wear mine 24/7/365 - it NEVER comes off - actually it takes real effort to get it off for cleaning and I like it that way - no stick-up guy is gonna hang around long enough for me to get it off! I can wear it for every activity - swimming, snorkeling, whatever without fear of losing it. That's what I am comfortable with - you should find your comfort level but if it is at all loose - definitely do not wear it swimming!

No problem; if they really want it, they'll just cut your finger off. I'm not being mean or funny; just trying to give you a more realistic view of what can happen in a mugging.

I always wear my rings and they are insured: if mugged, they can have them. I would be sad, but then get to pick out new ones. I think it is wise just not to be in unsafe areas (at home or away) where I would worry about wearing the diamonds in the first place - so I do try to avoid certain ports when planning cruises.

This thread caused a discussion at my house about my wedding rings. Just found out DH saved for 3 years to get my diamond and emerald wedding set. They were special before, now I would be heartbroken if something happened to them. DH said to get a plain wedding band if it made me feel better while we travelled.

My engagement ring is one of a kind and my husband designed it by himself so if anything ever happened to it I would be heartbroken. With that said, I have a cheap $50 white gold plain 2mm wedding band that I wear when I go on cruises. I leave the others in a fire proof safe in the house. However, I read some others who place them in a safety deposit box and I think this is a fabulous idea.

I don't not wear mine for fear of being stolen. I dont worry about thieft. I don't wear mine anytime I'm going to swim alot. And since on a cruise we spend so much time swimming it isn't worth bringing to leave in the safe. I do the same at home. We have a boat and anytime we go out on it I leave my rings at home.

All treasure hunters know that your fingers shrink in water and that's where they often sweep with detectors.

While I understand people being afraid, I wear my rings when we travel and have never had a problem. Can it happen that I get robbed - sure it can. But people's houses can be broken into when they're away on vacation, or they can be robbed outside of where they work, or any other manner of thing like that. It's no more dangerous to wear your jewelry on vacation than it is to wear back home, risks are everywhere. Our house was once broken into while we were asleep upstairs! There are no guarantees in life.

You just have to choose to not live in fear, and to realize that "stuff" is not what's important in life.

Bottom line is, do whatever feels comfortable for you.

for the 1st time all my good jewelry is staying home. We'll be beaching nearly every day this cruise along with snorkeling excursions. Figured with that level of activity there's the remote danger of getting it entangled or losing entirely. Taking hammered silver necklace/earrings, wedding band, tanzanite ring;)bought while in port one trip, and CZ earrings.

No problem; if they really want it, they'll just cut your finger off. I'm not being mean or funny; just trying to give you a more realistic view of what can happen in a mugging.

i've heard tales scary stuff.

I will wear mine on land trips but many of the islands have typically low income people. Muggings are common and I am not willing to sacrifice my ring. Like you I have a one of kind ring with a two carat marquis emerald center stone and 28 channel set diamonds on each side. It's not something that would be easily replaced. I have it insured but don't want to have to ever replace it. We both have silver rings we bought at a Christian store. We wear those when we go ashore. Yes you can be robbed anywhere but walk through low income areas and you are a tourist........The risk is higher.

One other thing to consider is that when you go into a store and it's obvious that the prices are hyper inflated, dont count on them bargaining if they see a 3000 dollar ring on your finger. Doesn't matter if your sweetie saved for years to get it, you look "rich" to them.

Archived