Anyone Embark/Debark Epic Rome yet?

Has anyone come back from a Western Med cruise embarking and debarking in Rome yet? I'd love to know how it was - especially debarking. We'll be catching the train to head for Venice - how quickly did you exit?

Any other hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vic

Has anyone come back from a Western Med cruise embarking and debarking in Rome yet? I'd love to know how it was - especially debarking. We'll be catching the train to head for Venice - how quickly did you exit?

Any other hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vic

Vic - I'm also interested in the response as we board in Rome June 13. In planning our return to the airport on the 20th I noticed that Epic has excursions for Rome that are to start as early as 7:30 am. We plan to carry our luggage off so we are counting on being able to get off the ship by 7:30 am. Hopefully this will work.

I'm also interested in what day on this 7 day itinerary they will have the laundry special of a set price for a full bag of laundry. If it is Wednesday as some have spectulated it will be the day we board the ship and not sure if we will be able to take advantage of this based on when we will be boarding - we have several days in Rome before the cruise so laundry will be starting to pile up :)

I too am interested to hear the answwe to these questions,

We are boardind in Rome on the 6th of June

And we fly out on the 13 th.... Need to get right to the

Airport. Would also love to know about the

Laundrey deal .

Can’t speak specifically for Epic and NCL, but last year we sailed in/out of Civitavecchia and it was two totally different experiences. We flew in the day prior to sailing and found it very easy to get from the airport to Civitavecchia via the train. The train station is just across the airport, and it’s very inexpensive to get to the port using the train. There are self service machines as well as manned ticket booths in the station. Our timing was great and we were on the train and heading to the port within minutes. In Civitavecchia our hotel was not even a half mile from the terminal, and in turn, the pick-up point for the free shuttle to the ship next morning was again just a few steps – we didn’t even need a cab. As the actual piers are a good distance away from the port entrance the port provides a free shuttle service (buses are clearly marked what ship they’re going to), and getting on the bus was no waiting the next morning. Buses where waiting for passengers and there was no waiting to load luggage and get a seat. Off we went to our ship where check in was also fast and event free. It was a breeze.

Ah, but the return – it went downhill fast! First, there simply weren’t enough shuttle buses (even with assigned debarkation times), and people were aggressive in getting on a bus. Instead of queuing up for a spot on a bus, people just rushed a bus as it arrived. There simply wasn’t enough storage room under the buses for all the luggage. After watching this mad house for over 30 minutes, we gave up and walked back to the port entrance (about 1.5 miles and some of it without sidewalk). Then the train. Oh my… Keep in mind the day we arrived there were seven ships in port, and well it seemed like everyone was taking the train that morning! Thankfully there were some very helpful young men that just grabbed everyone’s luggage, and started stacking it up at the door (at the point we didn't care if everything in our bags were stolen). We were packed in like sardines! Oh, and did I mention this was July? Not a very pretty situation.

Now, my sister also debarked in Civitavecchia last November, and didn't have any of these problems. But there were only a couple of ships in port that day, they spent the morning in Civitavecchia, and took an afternoon train into the city.

Would I do it again? Yes and maybe. I’d definitely take the train to Civitavecchia, and plan on doing so this December. The price is just too good not to (unless you're a large group). Coming back though will depend on how many other ships are going to be in port that day, and how soon I need to get into Rome. If there are over three ships in port I’ll arrange to have transportation pick us up at the dock thus avoiding both the shuttle bus and train.

Just a couple of tips about the train. First, make sure you always validate your ticket prior to getting on the train – there will be a box on the platform clearly marked for this purpose. There are conductors on the trains, and you will be fined if your ticket is validated. Secondly, make sure you’re not on the express train for Rome, as again there is a fine.

Edited by Girr

I know NCL is trying the 2 port embarkation thing thisyear, so it would make sense that Barcelona embarkation laundry day would be diffferent than the Rome embarkation day. It should be interesting how well it works with 2different embarkations. I have done them on another line and it didn't go smoothly and I just didn't like it. Should be fun to see what NCL does with it. Either way enjoy your trip

I have not been on NCL in or out of Rome, going next April on the Jade.

I have though been on cruises getting on and off in Rome on Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard and Crystal over the years.

Given these experiences, the port is unpredictiable. If your ship arrives on a weekend, for example, dock services do not start so early. Weather can be another factor, we got off in pouring rain one trip.

If we fly into Rome, we can easily get a taxi to the port. If we are getting off at the port we arrange for a car service to pick up us and take us to the airport. We plan to book our air around 1pm, check in returning to the USA takes some time.

On our last trip, we made arrangements both directions over the web with romecabs.com. Costs about $200 each direction to be paid in euro's at the time of the service. Well worth it.

Like one poster stated, no hassel with luggage getting on a bus or train is our primary reason for booking a car service. There are also very few if any taxi at the dock.

Some years ago, we took the train from Rome to the port, after visiting the city but would never attempt to do so with luggage. We are not light packers, we are no spring chickens any longer and we really don't enjoy dealing with a crowd all trying to get on or off the ship, bus or train at the same time.

The first time we took a ship arranged bus from the hotel to the ship. That was the last time for that as well for the same reasons.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

Hi All - My wife and I will be taking our FIRST cruise on the Epic this may. We have a flight at 11:45AM on disembarkation day out of FCO. If the ship gets in at 6AM, will we be able to make our flight? I have read places that we won't even start disembarkation until 8AM, which would have us cutting it close.

Thanks!

You won't be getting any responses from recent Epic cruisers out of Rome, the first sail date is May 6th.

We ware sailing May 13th - 20th and just decided to spend another night in Rome and catch a morning flight on the 21st. That way we can relax and not worry about rushing off the ship and to the airport.

From what I have read on these boards there are usually less passengers embarking in Rome and it is possible to make a late morning flight. I have also read that customs at the airport is where you will spend the most time.