Dream Cruising with 5. 2 adults 3 kids

I have looked researched and now have headache any and all info welcomed.

We are cruising with 5. What I am wondering is what Category of room is best, balcony of course. I do not like feeling cramped and like my space too(Im the dad BTW)

Money is not an endless supply. I have looked at the suites and understand that there is extra perks with Concierge. Would I be happier with just gettin standard connecting rooms? One for the kids 11,8,6 and one for us parents. Or is there plenty room in the cabins that are listed for 5. Or is the room for 5 more like room for 3, (those who have campers know what I mean "Sleeps 6.") Keep in mind, and not the biggest factor but me and DW would like to have some lets say "US" time.

Compare between one cat 4 cabin for all 5 of you (which means one rounded tub one toilet sharing, 1 real queen bed) vs one cat 5/6/7 verandah for double and then one cat 11 inside for triple (which means 2 tubs 2 toilets 2 real queen beds). If price difference isn't too much, then personally I will go with 2 cabins.

We are cruising with 5. What I am wondering is what Category of room is best, balcony of course. I do not like feeling cramped and like my space too(Im the dad BTW)

Money is not an endless supply. I have looked at the suites and understand that there is extra perks with Concierge. Would I be happier with just gettin standard connecting rooms? One for the kids 11,8,6 and one for us parents. Or is there plenty room in the cabins that are listed for 5. Or is the room for 5 more like room for 3, (those who have campers know what I mean "Sleeps 6.") Keep in mind, and not the biggest factor but me and DW would like to have some lets say "US" time.

Generally, the rooms on DCL ships are larger than the same type room on other cruiselines. That said, a room (oceanview) that sleeps 4 is the same size as a room that sleeps 2.

In most cases, for your situation, the advice is get 2 connecting rooms. You will need to book youself in one room, and DH in the other, with the kids divided up (on paper) between the two rooms. You must have an adult booked in each room. How you sleep, you can fix once onboard (parents in one room, kids in the other).

This setup will give you 2 (split) bathrooms, 2 tvs., more space, more storage.

Yes, concierge has lots of perks, but, if after viewing what they are, you feel that you really don't need all that, a "regular" room is just fine.

:)

Putting five in a regular cabin sounds more like hell than a vacation. Seriously, I'd rather stay home.

No reason to book concierge unless you are going with one of the suites--for the same or less you can get two connecting cabins.

While concierge is fabulous, if it meant cramming into less space, I'd skip it.

We are 5...I hate booking but my family loves cruising.

We have done one RC in a family suite. It was nice to have everyone in one room and a little extra space. The second cruise we took Carnival and got 2 rooms side by side...but not connecting. I was terrified with this but it worked out. My kids slept in one room and we slept in the other. We had keys to both rooms and frequently checked our kids. They did call us all the time! LOL.

It was nice having the ability to put them to sleep in quiet without having to be quiet ourselves. They also had their own bathroom. That was a huge plus.

This time we are booked in 2 rooms, connecting. I think disney has many more options for 5 then other cruise lines. I found it extremely difficult to book 5 this year on RC. It was much easier on Disney!! (Big Plus to Disney)

We ended up asking Grandma along...so that we can split the kids among the 2 rooms...and it is our first time with a balcony with kids...but I feel safer knowing the rooms are connected.

I dont think we will squeeze into one room ever again.

Personally, I prefer 2 connecting rooms. That way you get two toilets, 2 showers, and more space for everyone to enjoy. We just did that for our Magic cruise, although we had MIL with us, and there was no way all 5 of us were going to share a room with 3 adults and 2 kids! I can't imagine being comfortable with more than 4 people in one standard room--but that's just my opinion.

FYI, if you book a 1BR suite you'll have double or as much as triple the amount (depending on the ship and cabin) of space as a regular veranda cabin. There are two bathrooms, one is a larger master with double sinks and a jetted tub as well as a toilet and shower, the other a standard bath with sink/toilet/tub. You'll also have a dining table and chairs and living area. Depending on the ship you might have a walk-in closet, wet bar, and more. The bedroom is closed off from the rest of the cabin with actual doors. In some of the Magic/Wonder suites there is a Murphy bed in the bedroom as well, in the others as well as the new ships it's in the living space, so plenty of privacy for mom and dad.

Disney by definition is pricey compared to other lines.

A decade ago I did 5 to balcony cabin, not a suite, don't remember the category. Had one queen, two pull down from the wall and sofa bed for the fifth. My kids were smaller and we didn't feel like the other poster who claimed he would stay at home.. Cruising in any cabin is better than staying at home :D

For similar money you likely can get an inside cabin for 3 and an outside balcony option as well, likely for cheap with more space for all of you on another line. Book one parent in each is another alternative.

I am a value guy, and if you the cruise you will be hanging in public areas versus lounging in your cabin who cares if the cabin is small or inside. Some must have that balcony and view, and for those spend the $, for my family its about everything but the cabin at least for now.

First off you didn't say which ship you'll be sailing on. If it's the Magic/Wonder you have the option to get a balcony with an inside across the hall, though with the ages of your kids I wouldn't want to do that. You can get connecting balconies, with an interior door between them, kind of a sort of suite. On the Dream/Fantasy, the balcony/inside combo really isn't available, as the insides aren't directly across from the balconies anymore. YOu could do connecting balconies, on the Dream class, the balconies also connect so you can make one large balcony for all to share. I've stayed in a suite and the connecting balconies with the 4 of us, also the cat 4 rooms that hold 5. I'd NEVER stay in a cat 4 with 5 people, the 4 of us are a bit squished there. Now, the suite is much better for hanging out during the day and the extra perks, but two rooms gives you two bathrooms and beds for everyone and more breathing room then one room. Now, if money was no object we'd get the suite EVERY time, but we like to go on other vacations during the year, so we "slum" with two connecting rooms for the 4 of us. For us, it's about the two bathrooms, we have a 14yo DD, so we need two bathrooms to get us out the door!!!!

First off you didn't say which ship you'll be sailing on.

Well I kinda did....I guess it wasnt as obvious as I thought

I appreciate the info. I am so undecided. Once in a life trip to Disney with the family. Want the best for least of course.

So back to the suite. Is it PLENTY of room for 5 to sleep and still have some privacy for mom and dad? And did you ever have concierge service? Is there more room with the connecting rooms than the suites? And dont the suites have 2 bathrooms or am I thinking of something else?

I appreciate the info. I am so undecided. Once in a life trip to Disney with the family. Want the best for least of course.

So back to the suite. Is it PLENTY of room for 5 to sleep and still have some privacy for mom and dad? And did you ever have concierge service? Is there more room with the connecting rooms than the suites? And dont the suites have 2 bathrooms or am I thinking of something else?

Yes, I've sailed in a suite, just not on the Dream, on the Wonder. Here is the set up for 5 in a suite. Queen bed in the bedroom, pullout full + murphy twin bed in the living room. Now, if you have kids that don't mind sharing the full, you'll be ok. My two won't share, so one got the full the other the twin when we were in the suite. There is plenty of room for 5 IMO in the suite. Yes the suites have two bathrooms, and there is more room in the suite than in 2 connecting staterooms. In the suites, there is one BIG bathroom, in the master and the 2nd one is small and functional. Whereas in two connecting rooms, you have 4 1/2 baths, so that takes up a lot of room. The connecting doors on the Dream/Fantasy have little magnets at the bottom that keep them open at all times. I didn't miss concierge services when we didn't have it anymore, I more missed the space in the suite.

Any other questions ask!

You'll be fine in a 1BR suite, and yes, the master bedroom has doors that close and will give you plenty of privacy. Put the kids to bed, take a bubble bath in the jetted tub for two...

The suites do have two full bathrooms, one is accessible from the living area, the other accessible from the master bedroom.

The concierge service was excellent on the Dream, always there when you needed them but unobtrusive.

I screwed up. I was saying suite(which is obviously big and $8800) what I menat was Deluxe Family Oceanview with Veranda($4800) without or with concierge(which is $700more). Is it really big enough for 5. Or should I get 2 connecting regular rooms with veranda($5400)?

I screwed up. I was saying suite(which is obviously big and $8800) what I menat was Deluxe Family Oceanview with Veranda($4800) without or with concierge(which is $700more). Is it really big enough for 5. Or should I get 2 connecting regular rooms with veranda($5400)?

For $600 more you get an extra real queen-size bed, 2 extra sinks, 1 extra tub, 1 extra toilet, and an extra balcony. You said Disney Dream so I assume this is for 4 nights. So for $150 more per night to get those "stuff", do you think it is worth it for you?

For $600 more you get an extra real queen-size bed, 2 extra sinks, 1 extra tub, 1 extra toilet, and an extra balcony. You said Disney Dream so I assume this is for 4 nights. So for $150 more per night to get those "stuff", do you think it is worth it for you?

Good point...

Good point...

Forgot about 1 extra TV, more closet space ... sometimes OBC are given per booking too so 2 rooms = 2 booking vs 1 room = 1 booking. Include that in your consideration of the "net" $ too.

Archived