London to Holland by Superferry ?

$hip$hape

Next April, my wife and I plan to fly from New York City, then overnight in London.

The next evening take an overnight cabin in

the Stena Hollandica "Superferry", also know as the Dutch Flyer,

then take the NCL Breakaway from Rotterdam to Southampton, and then back to NYC.

One of the critics says taking the ferry to Holland is a bad idea.

He says this ferry is for car and truck drivers and not something HE would do.

He suggested the Eurotrain or a flight from London to Rotterdam, which is something I wanted to get away from.

Any replies from UK?

My advice would be to take the Eurostar train from central London to Rotterdam - a 4 hour journey, change trains in Brussels, cost approx $88 pp.

This option is, in my view, far more convenient and cheaper than the overnight ferry. The Stena line ferry route, on the Stena Hollandica, is from Harwich (80minute train ride from London) to the Hook of Holland (about 20 miles out of Rotterdam). My estimate is that this would cost around $140pp (two people sharing a cabin) plus a huge amount transferring baggage at the various transfer points. Hope this helps.

Yes, the Eurostar would make better sense.

I was cosidering the ferry because it's another adventure (something different) on our journey. My wife's chief concern is hauling baggage.

She says we should skip London and just fly into Holland.

We still have much time to look at options.

Thank you for your advice.

My advice would be to take the Eurostar train from central London to Rotterdam - a 4 hour journey, change trains in Brussels, cost approx $88 pp.

This option is, in my view, far more convenient and cheaper than the overnight ferry. The Stena line ferry route, on the Stena Hollandica, is from Harwich (80minute train ride from London) to the Hook of Holland (about 20 miles out of Rotterdam). My estimate is that this would cost around $140pp (two people sharing a cabin) plus a huge amount transferring baggage at the various transfer points. Hope this helps.

Hope you have a great trip to Rotterdam!

I hope you don't mind me adding to the conversation but I work for Stena Line and thought it might be useful to pop some information on the Superferries to Holland below...

Just to answer your initial question, the Superferries are absolutely for foot passengers. They were launched about two years ago after huge investment and offer great facilities, including two restaurants and bars, free Wi-Fi, an onboard cinema and a basketball court. The cabins have flatscreen TVs and Swedish-designed beds. You can see for yourself on YouTube:

In terms of price, a Dutchflyer ticket - http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/ - which includes your train transfers from London to Harwich and onto Rotterdam (which is very close to the port) starts from £63 per person.

Finally, yes, you can carry as much luggage as you can fit into your cabin on the ferry to Holland and it is a bit of an adventure!

But don’t listen to me, check out Zoe Dawes’ blog on the matter: http://www.thequirkytraveller.com/2012/05/ferry-cross-the-north-sea-holland/

Happy travels! :)

We love crossing the North Sea by ferry and have done it many times....this is what started us off cruising. So long as you can handle the luggage- and there will be trollies- then it beats planes hands down!

We're planning a mini cruise to the Netherlands this way quite soon, although on a more northerly line.

Jo.

Hope you have a great trip to Rotterdam!

I hope you don't mind me adding to the conversation but I work for Stena Line and thought it might be useful to pop some information on the Superferries to Holland below...

Just to answer your initial question, the Superferries are absolutely for foot passengers. They were launched about two years ago after huge investment and offer great facilities, including two restaurants and bars, free Wi-Fi, an onboard cinema and a basketball court. The cabins have flatscreen TVs and Swedish-designed beds. You can see for yourself on YouTube:

In terms of price, a Dutchflyer ticket - http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/ - which includes your train transfers from London to Harwich and onto Rotterdam (which is very close to the port) starts from £63 per person.

Finally, yes, you can carry as much luggage as you can fit into your cabin on the ferry to Holland and it is a bit of an adventure!

But don’t listen to me, check out Zoe Dawes’ blog on the matter: http://www.thequirkytraveller.com/2012/05/ferry-cross-the-north-sea-holland/

Happy travels! :)

I only came across the Brit forum yesterday and and still exploring. Thanks for this link. I live in London and have never heard of the superferry. Certainly something to do next year.

Next April, my wife and I plan to fly from New York City, then overnight in London.

The next evening take an overnight cabin in

the Stena Hollandica "Superferry", also know as the Dutch Flyer,

then take the NCL Breakaway from Rotterdam to Southampton, and then back to NYC.

One of the critics says taking the ferry to Holland is a bad idea.

He says this ferry is for car and truck drivers and not something HE would do.

He suggested the Eurotrain or a flight from London to Rotterdam, which is something I wanted to get away from.

Any replies from UK?

The Dutch Travellers, Stena Britannica and Stena Hollandica are in fact very luxurious ferrys, The cabins are excellent Large twin beds and TV, The Bathrooms have Glass doors for the shower etc. Yes they are small but well worth the experience. If you go onboard knowing that is is a working ferry, you will not be disappointed.

Archived