Documents Required at Embarkation?

Avril

I'm sailing on the Epic in December (1st NCL cruise) :D and was working on my Online Check In. In the part where you enter your passport info, I noticed it said something along the lines of "Along with your passport, other ID is required such as a valid driver's license with photo, or some other (I forget what it said exactly) form of government ID with photo and/or your address on it". :eek: My problem is, I only have my passport. I don't have a driver's license or any other kind of ID they listed. :eek: Am I in trouble? Has anyone else ever been asked for something other than their passport when checking in at the termminal? What happened if you didn't have it? Should I be worried?

Thanks!! :D

I'm sailing on the Epic in December (1st NCL cruise) :D and was working on my Online Check In. In the part where you enter your passport info, I noticed it said something along the lines of "Along with your passport, other ID is required such as a valid driver's license with photo, or some other (I forget what it said exactly) form of government ID with photo and/or your address on it". :eek: My problem is, I only have my passport. I don't have a driver's license or any other kind of ID they listed. :eek: Am I in trouble? Has anyone else ever been asked for something other than their passport when checking in at the termminal? What happened if you didn't have it? Should I be worried?

Ive only ever used my passport and credit card at the dock. If you dont have a passport, you might need more stuff to prove you are who you are. Like a birth cert and a drivers license.

Thanks so much!! :D I feel a lot better now, I was worried!! I do have a passport so no problem there. What's the Health Questionnaire? I didn't see that in the online check in. :confused:

It's my 1st cruise with NCL so I'm super, SUPER, excited!!!! :D :D

Usually they ask you to answer a couple of questions on a form when you check in. They want to make sure no one boarding has symptoms of norovirus. I've never completed one in advance.

Usually they ask you to answer a couple of questions on a form when you check in. They want to make sure no one boarding has symptoms of norovirus. I've never completed one in advance.

Oh, ok. I've done that before on other cruises. Thanks!!!! :D

Thanks so much!! :D I feel a lot better now, I was worried!! I do have a passport so no problem there. What's the Health Questionnaire? I didn't see that in the online check in. :confused:

It's my 1st cruise with NCL so I'm super, SUPER, excited!!!! :D :D

After you go thru security and are waiting in line they hand you a health questionnaire to fill out. "are you sick. have a cold. feeling dizzy." that sort of stuff.

I'm inclined to think, as someone mentioned, that reference for govt issued photo ID would be for persons traveling without a passport. It would be for those cruises that permit official birth certificate instead of a passport, in which case a photo id is also required.

I'm inclined to think, as someone mentioned, that reference for govt issued photo ID would be for persons traveling without a passport. It would be for those cruises that permit official birth certificate instead of a passport, in which case a photo id is also required.

It doesn't say that. Is says that government issued ID with photo is required as well as your passport. Next time you do your online check in, read the writting above where you fill in your passport info, you'll see what I mean. I just want to be sure I have everything I need, I'd hate to show up at the port and not be allowed to board the ship!!!! :eek:

Here's exactly what it says (taken from the online check in page):

In addition to your proof of citizenship document, proof of identity must also be presented on embarkation day for all guests 16 years of age or older (i.e., valid driver's license that includes a photograph, or government identification card, that includes a physical description).

Here's exactly what it says (taken from the online check in page):

In addition to your proof of citizenship document, proof of identity must also be presented on embarkation day for all guests 16 years of age or older (i.e., valid driver's license that includes a photograph, or government identification card, that includes a physical description).

What they don't make clear is that a passport satisfies both requirements (proof of identity AND proof of citizenship). You will be fine with just your passport. I have sailed on multiple NCL cruises over the past few years and have used ONLY my passport at check-in. No need to worry.

What they don't make clear is that a passport satisfies both requirements (proof of identity AND proof of citizenship). You will be fine with just your passport. I have sailed on multiple NCL cruises over the past few years and have used ONLY my passport at check-in. No need to worry.

Absolutely right. I've never needed any ID other than my passport to check in on any cruise line...not just NCL. As you say, your passport is both your ID and proof of citizenship.

To the OP: you're sailing on the Epic in December, which is a round-trip cruise out of Miami. For round-trip sailings, here's what NCL's FAQ says:

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

As you can see, a passport is fine. I don't know why the online check-in instructions aren't worded the same way or better. If I were editing the above instructions, it would say "you may sail with one of the following: a) a valid passport; b) proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo); or c) any other WHTI compliant document.

I certainly didn't mean to be insulting or impling that you can't read. Just expressing my view of the issue as I read it and have experienced it. Perhaps at the edoc page it is worded different. However, below is off the NCL web site regarding what is needed for the various types of cruises. Notice it says a passport.....OR proof of citizenship and a valid govt issued photo id. One or the other...and only for those cruises permitting travel without a passport.

And that applies only to US citizens. Non US must have a passport. It doesn't get any better than a passport. No other id required.

General Documentation and Visa Information

U.S. Citizens

Hawaii Cruises

There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawaii inter-island cruise. If your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

http://www2.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

You're right, that most definatly isn't clear!! Good to know I'll be fine with just my passport!! :D I was a little surprised, I've never needed anything other than my passport on any other cruise line!!

I certainly didn't mean to be insulting or impling that you can't read.

I never said that you did, not to worry!!!! :D

Noticed your Canadian also. Do you have your OHIP card with picture ID on it? That could be another form of possible ID. Remember the old "Age of Majority" cards we had to present at the liquor/beer stores to prove we were old enough to buy alcohol... well I hear there is a similar ID available, that you can purchase to prove your identity, since not all Canadians have a driver's licence or an OHIP card with a picture on it. You may want to look into this card as well. I'm going to investigate it on the internet. I work at a law office, and a requirement on certain files is that we have to get photo id. Not everyone has a driver's licence or passport, and an OHIP with a photo cannot be used as sufficient id. Just a thought. But I'm sure you will need nothing else other than your Passport on this one!! (just searched the internet... it is called a BYID card... only good for those between the ages of 19 and 35.... don't know if that fits your description).

You're right, that most definatly isn't clear!! Good to know I'll be fine with just my passport!! :D I was a little surprised, I've never needed anything other than my passport on any other cruise line!!

I never said that you did, not to worry!!!! :D

I was on the EPIC (out of Miami) in Feb. with a Canadian Passport. All NCL wanted to see was the passport and swipe a credit card for on board expenses. The health form is a slip of paper with a few questions that you fill out while in line.

In St. Thomas, and St. Martin to get back on the ship they only wanted to see the room key. In Nassau they wanted to see a passport (not certain if other photo id would work) and room key.

Noticed your Canadian also. Do you have your OHIP card with picture ID on it? That could be another form of possible ID. Remember the old "Age of Majority" cards we had to present at the liquor/beer stores to prove we were old enough to buy alcohol... well I hear there is a similar ID available, that you can purchase to prove your identity, since not all Canadians have a driver's licence or an OHIP card with a picture on it. You may want to look into this card as well. I'm going to investigate it on the internet. I work at a law office, and a requirement on certain files is that we have to get photo id. Not everyone has a driver's licence or passport, and an OHIP with a photo cannot be used as sufficient id. Just a thought. But I'm sure you will need nothing else other than your Passport on this one!! (just searched the internet... it is called a BYID card... only good for those between the ages of 19 and 35.... don't know if that fits your description).

I am Canadian, yes!! :D Unfortunatly, my OHIP card is one of the old, red and white ones, with just my name and number, no picture. :( Otherwise, I'd use that in a second!! I'm 27 so could go for the BYID card, where did you find out about it? Thanks!! :D

I was on the EPIC (out of Miami) in Feb. with a Canadian Passport. All NCL wanted to see was the passport and swipe a credit card for on board expenses. The health form is a slip of paper with a few questions that you fill out while in line.

In St. Thomas, and St. Martin to get back on the ship they only wanted to see the room key. In Nassau they wanted to see a passport (not certain if other photo id would work) and room key.

Thanks so much!!!! :D I just wanted to make sure I didn't need anything else. I'd rather find out I need something now rather than close to sailing time when it's too late!! :eek: It's great to hear from a fellow Canadian that I'm ok as well!!

I do remember from last time that we need our passports in Nassau but not in the other 2 ports!! :D

Archived