Riviera Christening Ceremony!!!

KIWP

As always Oceania does everything with style and grace. So it was today under a sunny blue sky in Barcelona. Well done!!!!!!!:)

The Christening was beautiful and very moving, after FDR's speach , there was not a dry eye on the pier (he even made Cat Cora cry).

The theme of the day was that after creating a masterpiece like Marina last year, the Riviera's edge would be in offering a new level of Oceania service. I have to tell you that in my opinion, that goal has already been accomplished, and even superceded.

The staff on this ship STARTED OUT at an extremely high level, and because things are running so smoothly the graciousness factor has expanded tenfold. I personally have never felt better served anywhere (and I sailed Royal Viking!).

Viva Riviera!

The Christening was beautiful and very moving, after FDR's speach , there was not a dry eye on the pier (he even made Cat Cora cry).

The theme of the day was that after creating a masterpiece like Marina last year, the Riviera's edge would be in offering a new level of Oceania service. I have to tell you that in my opinion, that goal has already been accomplished, and even superceded.

The staff on this ship STARTED OUT at an extremely high level, and because things are running so smoothly the graciousness factor has expanded tenfold. I personally have never felt better served anywhere (and I sailed Royal Viking!).

Viva Riviera!

Jim, a most moving moment, at least for us, was the piece about Andre Aere, whom we met some years ago on the Insignia. Shortly thereafter, he suffered that terrible stroke, and was bedridden for years. Shani Reay kept us advised on his progress - but it didn't look too promising.

Over the years, we lost track, and until this Riviera christening production, we hadn't heard anything new. To read that he was able to walk, albeit "slowly" across the platform, and I misted up again. I don't know if he is still on board, but if so and if you can, tell him that Dick and Vivian remember him with the fondest memories and send our blessings!!

Jim, a most moving moment, at least for us, was the piece about Andre Aere, whom we met some years ago on the Insignia. Shortly thereafter, he suffered that terrible stroke, and was bedridden for years. Shani Reay kept us advised on his progress - but it didn't look too promising.

We met Andre & Shania on another cruise line then heard about his stroke but good to hear he is doing OK

Lyn

Karen and Jim's posts were so appropriate, there's little left for me to say. The ceremony brought joy and tears, especially when Andre was named the 4th honorary Commodore of Oceania, and when Cat Cora choked up when she mentioned her late father, Spiro.

The joy was in the ceremony, watching Cat dance with a member of the flamenco troupe, the moving speeches by Kunal and Frank, the blessing, and the actual naming ceremony.

Here are some pictures, starting with Andre Aere...

P1030683.JPG

The pre-ceremony festivities included flamenco dancers...

P1030664.JPG

guitar players...

P1030666.JPG

and acrobats...

P1030663.JPG

Frank Del Rio and his wife, Marcia, waiting for the cermony to begin...

P1030673.JPG

Captain Luca Manzi, Prestige Cruise Vice Chairman Bob Binder, and Oceania President Kunal Kamlani...

P1030671.JPG

The Christening champagne bottle is suspended beside the ship...

P1030669.JPG

Cruise Director Leslie Jon was Mater of Ceremonies...

P1030677.JPG

President Kamlani offered a stirring introduction to Riviera...

P1030680.JPG

Then Frank Del Rio, after conferring Commodore status on Andre Aere, talked about the vision of building Riviera, saying that it was almost impossible to build a better ship than the one just name Ship of the YUear (Marina), but Riviera was that better ship...

P1030681.JPG

The crew filled the balcony above the ceremony...

P1030691.JPG

Deacon Ricardo Rodriguez-Martos, Apostolado del Mar, Barcelona, offered a blessing of Riviera...

P1030692.JPG

Riviera Godmother Cat Cora...

P1030695.JPG

The champagne bottle smases into the side...

P1030696.JPG

and the celebration begins...

P1030698.JPG

The infamous four, Don (me), Betsy, Jim and Stan after the celebration...

P1030700.JPG

Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful photos with comments. How lucky you are, and what a wonderful ceremony. We are so happy to have the Riviera in addition to the Marina which we already love.

Hello Don & Betsy,

I wanted to say thank you for posting the terrific photos, and for sharing your insights of Riviera on your other thread. The Ceremony looked beautiful, and I wish you a wonderful voyage.

Cruise Critic has posted a slideshow of the Ceremony : http://www.cruisecritic.com/slideshows/?ID=346&photo=1&StartRow=1

To everyone at Oceania, congratulations on Riviera's Christening !

He was our first GM in 2003.

It was a great pleasure and a special moment when this morning I had a chance to speak with him. He looks and is doing well. It was most fitting that he become the fourth Commodore.

Don and Betsy: Thank you so much for the wonderful photos and vivid descriptions of the event as it unfolded. Congrats to everyone who had a hand in the creation of this beautiful ship and in planning the ceremony. Can hardly wait until our July cruise on Riviera to see it for ourselves! Best regards, Marsha and Lou

Over the years, we lost track, and until this Riviera christening production, we hadn't heard anything new. To read that he was able to walk, albeit "slowly" across the platform, and I misted up again. I don't know if he is still on board, but if so and if you can, tell him that Dick and Vivian remember him with the fondest memories and send our blessings!!

That is excellent news..had often wondered how he was.

Thanks so much for sharing these emotional moments with us. Their choice of commodore speaks volume about the Oceania culture. Very much a class act!

Please keep the commentary and pictures coming of the beautiful Riviera--we're all vicariously cruising with you!

• 11 months later...

Archived