VIDEO - Solstice Creaking

kimcheeboy

Just posted a video I shot on the Solstice from my March 2012 cruise. Came out of the forward elevators and noticed the loud creaking in the stairway. We were going through pretty calm seas (no storm, rain, strong wind, etc) at the time and were on our way back to Ft Lauderdale.

Creaking noise starts around 0:09 in the video.

Ships are designed to have some flexibility, which causes creaking.

I can remember as a kid being freaked out at night when I'd go to bed and our house would start creaking. My mom would always say it was just the house settling, but I could never quite grasp as a child what that meant. Now I know that house would heat up in the sun during the day and heat makes things expand, then when the sun would go down the house would start to cool off and contract. This causes creaking.

With a cruise ship it could be a similar situation... ship heats up and expands in the daylight sun, and then cools and contracts at night. Just life.

I actually hate hearing that :( that video even kinda gave me the creeps, it sorta scares me :( even if it is calm for some reason hearing that my mind thinks it is really rough and I get scared. I also am one who has a huge fear of flying. So I have medicine for the flight and my doctor gave me some extras in case I need them on the ship too. I may be a grown adult but I can sure be a baby when it comes to this kind of stuff ;) However I do not let it stop me from cruising :D

Archived