Holland Cruise Line vs Disney

djnikki1

Has anyone been on a Holland cruise with kids? They have a special right now where kids sail free. Im trying to see if its better to go on Holland or Disney. My kids are 2 years old (twins) and we would be cruising alone. Thanks for the input!

Our last cruise was on Nieuw Amsterdam to the Caribbean. We had 3rd/4th passenger free. And prior to that Disney Dream Bahamas.

See my thread for my assessment comparing HAL and DCL in general:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1543974

DCL: onboard entertainment top notch! Castaway Cay, Aquaduck.

HAL strength: relaxed laid back atmosphere. It is not fair though to compare entertainment with DCL. Good product for the price we paid. It will be a good fit for a port intensive itinerary for us ... like Baltic or Med, or the 10-day Panama partial crossing, Noordam/Maasdam 10-11 day Southern Caribbean.

Just be aware that you won't be able to leave your children at Club Hal as they need to be three or older. I don't think you can even use babysitting service outside of Club Hal hours. That said, for the price difference, I'd choose HAL. My kids loved it.

OP, hope you don't mind me asking. What's the difference in price, and which Disney ship and HAL ship you are comparing? What itinerary?

The HAL deal isn't kids sail free per se, but just general 3rd/4th passenger free (or very low price like $99pp) regardless of age. They do this for selected sailing. So technically if you can get a suite and 4 adults sharing it is a good deal. A couple of months ago I saw some late September Alaska on Zuiderdam with a SB suite total for 4 people is like $4400 and change. Westerdam 7-night on an large inside cabin (the cat J there on deck one) 7-night sailing the week after thanksgiving to the Eastern Caribbean is $1600 and change tax/fee all included!

I'm looking at DCL 9/22 7 day cruise to Caribbeans on their new ship. My kids love Mickey Mouse CLubhouse so I think they would enjoy it. Also I like that Disney has the babysitting services, the kids club for their age group and its an all around kid friendly cruise line with a mix of adult activities. I was getting the Balcolny and its around $3600 for all three of us.

I haven't looked at HCL but they seem to offer more onboard specials and the kids sail free and I could save money. But HCL seems more for older kids.

I'm looking at DCL 9/22 7 day cruise to Caribbeans on their new ship. My kids love Mickey Mouse CLubhouse so I think they would enjoy it. Also I like that Disney has the babysitting services, the kids club for their age group

Oh and my kids wont be 3 until December

Your children are too young for the Oceaneer Club on Disney. They have to be at least three. You'd have to book space for them in the nursery.

In your case since you will have triple occupancy in a cabin, one of your children will still be paying full fare, does not matter whether you are doing DCL or HAL, or other lines.

I think that if you want a magical experience on a very nice cruise ship that is less than a year-old, lots of Disney-themed entertainment, opportunity to watch the latest Disney movie (The Avengers in 3D ... right now) or the most classical Disney movies non-stop, top-class live musical production shows, have the convenience of a split bathrooms (a sink and toilet in one bathroom, and another sink and tub in the other bathroom), firework at seas, the beautiful Castaway Cay, all sodas included, regularly surrounded by all the Disney characters and princesses and the different "Captains" .... all in an environment you feel you will be comfortable, then there is an extra price associated to it.

But only you can decide if that "extra price" is worth it to you or not. Late September is probably the month that you will be the more reasonable price for DCL. But I have to say that $3600 for 3 people in September is quite a lot of money. Have you checked the other dates like a week prior or a week after? The ship has different categories for verandah and the difference between the lowest (cat 7A) to the highest (cat 4A) can be quite a lot. The total price tag for a 7-day on Disney Fantasy is quite high, whereas a 4-day Disney Dream might be more reasonable, although the per diem might actually be higher.

For HAL, first of all they don't do Caribbean cruise in September, so no apple-to-apple comparison. But I like their product. The relaxed, low-key, laid-back atmosphere fit with our preference. As I said, I think it will be a perfect line for us for a longer, more port-intensive itinerary. But if I had to do a HAL cruise with lots of sea days then I think I will be bored, but that's just me.

Services on both ships are great.

My mistake I was looking at the wrong pricing. lol. The price would be $3231. And thecompany would give a post travel rebate of $175. I am handicap and have to get a handicap cabin which also the price a little more than usual for balcony cabins.

And yes I looked at Disney they do have a group for their age group and late babysitting services, where as the Holland I wouldnt be able to leave them or get babysitting services during late hours when they are sleep so I could explore the ship on my own.

And yes I know they won't remember but like I tell my family when they say the same thing, i'll remember the smile on their faces and how much they had :). And we live in Georgia so we can easily do another Disney trip next year and so on.

I think I'll chose the DCL, HAL doesn't seem like the right fit for me. I'm not one for laid back and low key. I want excitement and I think DCL has more to offer my toddlers.

Thank you everyone for the pros and cons!

My mistake I was looking at the wrong pricing. lol. The price would be $3231. And thecompany would give a post travel rebate of $175. I am handicap and have to get a handicap cabin which also the price a little more than usual for balcony cabins.

And yes I looked at Disney they do have a group for their age group and late babysitting services, where as the Holland I wouldnt be able to leave them or get babysitting services during late hours when they are sleep so I could explore the ship on my own.

And yes I know they won't remember but like I tell my family when they say the same thing, i'll remember the smile on their faces and how much they had :). And we live in Georgia so we can easily do another Disney trip next year and so on.

I think I'll chose the DCL, HAL doesn't seem like the right fit for me. I'm not one for laid back and low key. I want excitement and I think DCL has more to offer my toddlers.

Thank you everyone for the pros and cons!

On the ship if you think you will do another Disney cruise again in the future, make sure you do a booking onboard. Even if you're not sure when you will cruise again, many DCL'er book what we call a dummy ressie basically pick a dummy date as far out in advance for a short 3-day cruise. Then you can change to the date you want to cruise later.

Here is a promo I had for the onboard booking on my last Disney Dream in January 2011, which could be different now:

img008.jpg

If you are talking about booking space in the nursery, yes. If you are talking about the kid's club, no.

Disney's Oceaneer Club is a children's activity center located on Deck 5, Midship on the Disney Fantasy. It is the ideal place for children 3 to 12 years of age

Nursery information:

It's a Small World Nursery— located on Deck 5, Midship aboard the Disney Fantasy—is a delightful daycare center for children ages 3 months to 3 years. It's a Small World Nursery is available at an additional charge—$6.00 per hour for first child and $5.00 per hour for the second child

Archived