Souvenir ideas needed

thestokes

A statement piece of gold jewelry is nice, but expensive. If in Florence, there is a Paper Market. We did not go as it was raining that day, but would be worth looking into.

I also bought a 50 cent sized commemorative coin type piece with the Pope embossed on it and gave it to my Catholic friends. I think I found those outside the Vatican at a conveniece type store. Also bought a couple of saint medals, and wish I had bought more.

Did I mention that I am NOT a Catholic, but they are nice souvenirs. If you investigate what saint you want before you go, you could probably find them there.

I too have many of the items most people have posted.

But my favorite is a red umbrella with the word ROMA in white letters. I bought from street vendor outside the Vatican.

It was raining and cost 7E.

I smile every time I use it.:)

From Venice/Murano we brought back beautiful glass beads that are made to fit the Troll/Biagi/Pandora bracelets. They were a huge hit with the ladies. They can be worn on the bracelets they are made for but they are pretty on any gold chain as well.

Small to pack, unbreakable and reasonably priced!

My DW loves shopping for jewellry and trinkets at the outdoor market at the Campo dei Fiori in Rome (closes at about 2pm). There's a vendor there with a multitude of Pandora-like bracelets (not 'counterfeits', but just 'in the style of') at reasonable prices (5 to 7 Euro). She always buys a bunch to bring back for gifts. It's also a great spot for lunch and/or gelato!

One of my favorite purchases, also makes a great gift, was a set of olive wood salad servers with ceramic handles purchased at a stop along the Amalfi coast drive near Naples, but saw those later in many ceramic shops at other port stops, paid maybe $10-12. One caution: purchased a lovely lemon design tablecloth at a shop in Sorrento and was given one still wrapped in the plastic. When I unwrapped it at home the fabric was flawed, whether unintentional or tourist rip-off, I was very disappointed and was out about $40 as the flaw could not be hidden, so a total waste of money! Buyer beware!

Can anyone tell me if MELONcello is easily found in Sorrento? We tasted it during a trio in 2008 and always regretted not buying some to take home.

I'm hoping the Lemoncello stores will carry it. It's amazing - like cantaloupe in a glass - with a kick!!:)

In Venice I puchased Murano glass pendants, earrings and other beautiful items. I bought all of them in one shop which was in the area nearest the pier. The prices are better away from St. Mark's Square. By getting it all from one shop I get my vat tax refunded and got discounts. There were so many shops selling glass but beware that many are imports from China. They are cheap and just fine if you want gifts for young girls. ( my friend said that she could get the same stuff in Mexico) For myself I wanted authentic and am thrilled with my purchases.

On the Amalfi coast I should have purchased my items in the first shop but waited and did not see them again. They had sweet lemon soap dishes with lemon soap for 4 euros...not to be seen again. One shop had the beautiful lemon fabric which I regret not buying. Only saw it once also!

So if you see something you like ...BUY IT...you might not see it again!!

we purchased a large ceramic "Bacchus" in Ravello at a well-known ceramic factory, and they shipped it home to us at no charge. It arrived approximately 3 weeks after we got home and was packaged really well. We declared it when we went through customs and were given a paper to show so we wouldn't have to pay taxes and duty. Unfortunately, that meant nothing to the courier, so we paid and then filled out a form and got reimbursed from the govt. later. It's hanging in our dining room and brings smiles and wonderful memories everytime we look at it.

When we visited a few years ago, even little leather coin purses were very expensive. In Rome, you might find religious items, such as rosaries or prints, that are reasonable. I opted for small jugs of certified Italian olive oil, only from Italian olives. The photos, and some postcards of places, such as an aerial photo of Vesuvius, beyond my photographic skills, were nice to have. If you have the choice, a visit to Cinque Terra is amazing.

Archived