Kindle, Nook, other, neither?

Neither. I like a good old fashioned BOOK. I like the weight of it in my hands, the smell of it under my nose, and the feel of the pages as they turn beneath my fingers.

I so understand.

I do have a Kindle, in fact I am on my third one.

( I keep dropping them :o).

I still have the non-glare version.

I do however still collect actual books from my favorite authors.

As much as it makes me feel like I am being a little naughty, I have become accustomed to the convience of e-reader freedom.

I have a acer 500 which does everything well, games, online and it has both barnes and noble books app and the kindle app.

It was only $280 and has a USB port and two camera (no camera on the kindle is why I decided it was not a good value for me)

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

I love my Kindle. Whichever you choose, I have a tip for you. Take along a large ziploc bag to put your eReader inside of when you are reading by the pool or on the beach. I was SO glad I did this last time I was on vacation because the group near us got a little carried away trying to demonstrate how well they could open beer bottles without an opener and I got splashed pretty good.....as did the bag covering my Kindle. I'd have been so mad had the Kindle gotten doused.

Like some others have said, the feel of a book is nice, but with a Kindle (or whatever you choose), you can be carrying around a whole library to choose from depending on your mood. :)

Thanks so much for the thread. I have been considering these same devices and still haven't made up my mind. I was even thinking of starting a thread like this, myself. Thanks, everyone, for all of your information and input. It's always good to hear the opinions of others who actually own and use these devices. Hopefully, I can make up my mind soon on which oneb will be best for me.

I am SO SORRY for the Gobbledy Gook on my last post. I had tried to post a picture, when it wouldn't, I tried to delete the post. Didn't work, obviously...lol.

It is a stand I bought on Amazon. Like a fold up tripod..just love it. Folds into 6 inches when closed, perfect for traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CKVOOY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

The kindle fire is hard to see in bright sun. Can't see it at all with sun glasses on. The regular kindle works great.

I have a Kindle Fire and have no problems. I took it on my lwst cruise and read magazines on it at the pool dck. I also read books on it outside on my deck at home.

I'm thinking about getting one of those tablets a lot of people have on which you can read books and newpapers and play games. Some people like the Kindle and others the Nook, and my stepmother has something similar but isn't either. Is it reasonable to believe I can buy one of these devises for about 200.00 that I can use for reading and playing Scrabble? What else can you do with it?

Wife Has a Kindle Fire and we took it on our last cruise and she had no issue and I even playes angry birds on deck and on our balcony. I think it was just about $200.

I know with the Kindle Fire you are not limited to just Amazon to purchase books. I went to a site called getjar.com and downloaded the B&N app. I can now purchase books from them or download their free ones as well as Amazon. Also I get books from my local public library. Many libraries have this service available. Had mine on my last cruise and loved it as I can not sit in the direct sunlight do to sunburning very easily.

One thing to remember on the Kindle Fire is it is WIFI only. No 3G or 4g capabilities for downloading books. Please as several have said research them extently before buying so you will not get something that won't work for your needs.

My DH has a Nook Tablet and he found that if you turned it sideways, he had no problems reading it in the sun. Don't ask why...he's the techie in the family...I don't know :D I still carry a paperback book a day for vacations. 10 days = 12 books (cruise + flights) I read garbage and work in a library so I have a hard time paying for books :eek: I know you can get alot of books for free on library sites, but most of the garbage I read isn't available. :p

Whatever you do...cruising will make it even better!

Love my kindle!

I got this one for reading in the sun, cant be beat for that.

I am sure there are a lot of better features on other E-readers but for me taking one book size item that can give me hundreds of books and font size I can read in bright sun is all I needed!

I have a generation II Kindle. Use it every day! It isn't backlit but I have a cover with a built in light if I need to read in the dark.

I also use the Kindle app for Android on my phone and I use it if I get stuck somewhere in a line (Pharmacy, Drive Thru, Post Office, Grocery Store). With readers on and font size set to large I find it very easy to read on but I wouldn't want it as my primary e-reader.

Kindle also has a good app for the Chrome Browser and I've used it a bit too.

I have a Nook color and I love it but I do want to give a word of caution about some ereaders and spray on sunscreen. Please read this link of a story that aired on one of our local news startions here in Atlanta. The spray sunscreen basically melted the back of her Nook.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/sunscreen-may-damage-electronics/nNx7q/

I have both. I bought the original Kindle a few years ago - the e-ink reader does GREAT in direct sun...but the Kindle Fire rocks with the added features (video/games/music) and the backlight for night reading.

So - spoiled me. I keep them both & they sync to the furthest page read - so if I swap from one device to the other...I'm exactly at the spot where I left off reading.

Enjoy.

I have a basic Nook. It works fine for reading books, which is all I use it for. While it does have limited internet, I don't use it for that. When I upgrade I plan to get some kind of tablet that combines my laptop and Nook plus has lots of apps.

We have 2 Android 2.3 tablets, a 7" and a 10", these things are awesome e-book readers, email, text, watch movies anything you can do on a smart phone you can do on this(and be able to see it.

The 7" one was well under $100 and the 10" was like $180

I am working locums and stay in a middle of the road hotel. Wifi extra but available. I can't get Tivo and watching all these commercials has me nuts. Terrible cable.

What kind of electronic should I get for reading, internet, email, games etc.? Largest size screen available?

PS: I only got a cell phone that calls in and out a few months ago. Not savy with all these newfangled toys!

OP, there are a lot of half-answers to your original question. You are getting responses related to ereaders, tablets and smart phones. Let me try to clarify what the differences are. Otherwise, you will probably make a bad decision.

Ereaders:

Kindle Touch

Nook

Kobe

Others

Ereaders all have a technology called 'e-ink'. It is specifically designed to be read outdoors and there is no glare when reading in direct sunlight. They are perfect for reading standard books that can be purchased through the internet store (Amazon, B&N, Sony, etc). The downsides is that none of them (except for the brand new Nook Glowlight) are backlit, therefore, you cannot read them in the dark. They are exactly like a paper book. The Nook Glowlight is an ereader but has lighting for reading at night. The reviews I have read are not very positive for this device since it's a first generation technology. To read at night, you simply need a standard book light. Another downside is that when you purchase a book from a retailer, it has computer code on it called DRM. It prevents you from reading that book on a different devide. So if you buy a book from Amazon, you cannot read it on a Nook and vice-versa. All of the formats do this. In general, almost every book you are looking for will be available at Amazon or B&N.

I have two kindle ereaders and a nook ereader. They both function the same but I like the kindle much better personally. I like the feel and layouts of the kindle better than the nook. There are also a lot more free and discounted books for Kindle than there are for the Nook. Just another thing to take into account.

Tablets

Nook Color

Kindle Fire

Apple Ipad

Smart Phones

Others

Tablets are basically mini-computers. Each of them gives you the ability to download (or is already installed) a reader app to read books on the tablet. There are a wide variety of features to consider when purchasing including whether it has a camera, light sensor, operating system, memory size, etc. The one thing they all have in common is they are all backlit. This means they are easily readable in the dark, but in the direct sunlight they are unusable. They mostly offer the same apps and games as well. Android Smart Phones are basically small tablets that can make phone calls as well. Smart Phones also have an additional monthly cost in that the phone company charges you for data (most of them do).

I also have a Kindle Fire and I do like it. I use it as an internet surfing device and play a few games on it. I don't read much on it. I use my other Kindles and Nook for that.

In my opinion if you are looking to play games and be able to read occassionally I would go with one of the tablets. I personally don't like the ipad but the others would be fine. If you are looking for a serious reader, I would go with a Kindle ereader.

I know very little about all this new technology.

I am looking for a device I can read books from in the sunlight.

I also would like to have internet access.

Being able to play games, download pix, watch movies, listen to music would be a plus.

I've been reading this thread trying to figure out what I should get. For someone as dim as I am about these things, it gets confusing. Kindle Nook, Fire, Touch, ereader, etc.

So my question is: If it were you looking for the above criteria, what would you get?

TIA

Another downside is that when you purchase a book from a retailer, it has computer code on it called DRM. It prevents you from reading that book on a different devide. So if you buy a book from Amazon, you cannot read it on a Nook and vice-versa. All of the formats do this. In general, almost every book you are looking for will be available at Amazon or B&N.

Not always.

I have a Kobo ereader (Canadian) and when I purchase a book through Kobo / Chapters-Indigo, I can share with up to 6 devices - so I can read a book on my kobo, my computer, my phone AND share it with someone else.

Archived