Halifax help

We will be arriving in Halifax on a cruise on a Sunday. We were considering renting a car to drive out to Peggy's Cove, but it appears that all car rental agencies are closed on Sundays.

Any recommendations for an alternative? And will most things be closed on Sundays? Thanks for all help.

We will be arriving in Halifax on a cruise on a Sunday. We were considering renting a car to drive out to Peggy's Cove, but it appears that all car rental agencies are closed on Sundays.

Any recommendations for an alternative? And will most things be closed on Sundays? Thanks for all help.

Wow, that is a bummer--driving out to Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg was wonderful. Have you called the rental places at the Westin/Via Rail--Dollar, National and one or two others. Maybe they can do make arrangements to do something like leave the car and keys at the Westin front desk?? Worth a call.

I agree that you should contact all the agencies. Check with Enterprise who have a couple kiosks in the city.

If you are unable to rent a car, the next best option is to hire a taxi or driver. The post above sends you to a good thread for info about this.

We will be arriving in Halifax on a cruise on a Sunday. We were considering renting a car to drive out to Peggy's Cove, but it appears that all car rental agencies are closed on Sunday.

All agencies are not closed on Sundays. All the agencies at the airport are open. You also can find other branches of some agencies open at other locations in Halifax, but you may have to change your rental hours, as they have shorter hours, or pay for an extra day, and drop the car off after the agency is closed. Look at Hertz, for example. for this option.

Well, now I'm confused! I was able to make a reservation for the last Sunday in October at the downtown Avis on Grafton Street. They list their office hours as 8am - 4pm on Sundays.

Don't be confused! OP is not correct. Many agencies are open on Sundays; they just have limited hours if you don't want to pick up and drop off a car at the airport.

Thanks for input. I tried looking at car rentals from Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar, and another agency I can't remember now. I did not use the airport location (where is the airport in relation to the port?) Each time I tried to book, I was told that that location was not open on Sunday, not even limited hours but closed. If anyone can point me to a specific agency that is open on Sundays, or can tell me how far away the airport is, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Thanks for input. I tried looking at car rentals from Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar, and another agency I can't remember now. I did not use the airport location (where is the airport in relation to the port?) Each time I tried to book, I was told that that location was not open on Sunday, not even limited hours but closed. If anyone can point me to a specific agency that is open on Sundays, or can tell me how far away the airport is, I would be grateful. Thanks.

See Post #6 in this thread.

Archived