leaving balcony door open?

CLGcruiser

I'd love to know how so many people know everything about the ships a/c system. Just because someon states it doesn't mean it's true.

And just because someone doesn't believe it doesn't mean it isn't true!

And just because someone doesn't believe it doesn't mean it isn't true!

That is certainly true. The cruise line does ask you to keep your door closed so I'm thinking that's just not for fun. I know people want to justify that it's ok to keep your balcony door open. I don't think it is and that is my right to feel that way. They ask cruisers to keep the door shut and I will do that because I do care how my actions can impact others. YMMV.

That is certainly true. The cruise line does ask you to keep your door closed so I'm thinking that's just not for fun. I know people want to justify that it's ok to keep your balcony door open. I don't think it is and that is my right to feel that way. They ask cruisers to keep the door shut and I will do that because I do care how my actions can impact others. YMMV.

Or perhaps they ask that doors be kept closed because on a hot day with the door open the AC has to work harder to keep the room cool, using up more energy to do so, just like in your home, and that would affect the room's inhabitants. It may not have any affect on the rooms around them, only on the amount of energy that one room uses to try to maintain the temperature the thermostat is set for. Do you have any proof that other rooms are affected? I have to admit that I don't have any proof that that they aren't, other than from people who have posted here with information that is backed by what they have been told by the cruise ship Chief Engineer, and not their own opinions. I would think the Chief Engineer would be better expert than a bunch of us keyboard jockeys, myself included. :D

Or perhaps they ask that doors be kept closed because on a hot day with the door open the AC has to work harder to keep the room cool, using up more energy to do so, just like in your home, and that would affect the room's inhabitants. It may not have any affect on the rooms around them, only on the amount of energy that one room uses to try to maintain the temperature the thermostat is set for. Do you have any proof that other rooms are affected? I have to admit that I don't have any proof that that they aren't, other than from people who have posted here with information that is backed by what they have been told by the cruise ship Chief Engineer, and not their own opinions. I would think the Chief Engineer would be better expert than a bunch of us keyboard jockeys, myself included. :D

I do not have proof other than people that work with HVAC systems. People will do what they want to do. I'm ok with keeping my balcony door shut and I will continue to do that. I'm sure it really wouldn't matter what I said and what proof I had people will do what they want to do and justify it as such. I can only do what feels right to me.

We had a cabin with a door to the next cabin. Those folks insisted on keeping their balcony door open all night. The howling wind all through the door was quite anoying. Complained to the front desk. Was anything done? No. So, its not just a temperature problem. Please keep your balcony doors shut as to be conciederate of your neighbors.

We had a cabin with a door to the next cabin. Those folks insisted on keeping their balcony door open all night. The howling wind all through the door was quite anoying. Complained to the front desk. Was anything done? No. So, its not just a temperature problem. Please keep your balcony doors shut as to be conciederate of your neighbors.

door- have either one of you heard of a towel??? i use one and sleep great.. most nights my door is open and always during the day when awake. i lvoe fresh air and hate that closed in feeling.

Actually I would not understand. Regardless of what I paid its their ship, their rules. If there is a sign directing me to not leave the balcony door open then I would not do so. Paying extra for a balcony entitles you to the use of a balcony, that is all.

I think you misunderstood the post. The poster was talking about avoiding being locked out on the balcony. This has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement.

I think you misunderstood the post. The poster was talking about avoiding being locked out on the balcony. This has nothing to do with a sense of entitlement.

have you read poat thread..

no one wants to be locked out there for hours

door- have either one of you heard of a towel??? i use one and sleep great.. most nights my door is open and always during the day when awake. i lvoe fresh air and hate that closed in feeling.

So do you have an open air bedroom at home?

Yes, you may be right and I don't take any offence to what you have said. My point was that honestly, I thought it was perfectly fine to leave the door open. Not one person said that it should remain closed at any time.

We left our door open a couple of nights on a recent transatlantic in order to drown out our noisy neighbors. It was quite cool,so I didn't worry about the A/C not working. There were no signs on the door that it was not to be left open.

Ok, once and for all: On S-Class:

IT IS OK TO LEAVE YOUR BALCONY DOOR OPEN. (when occupying the cabin)

NOT rude, NOT bad for the airco system, NOT forbidden.

Now will the complainers please move along and whine about something else..I and others have clearly explained the system to you and proven that the "open-loop" is a myth on modern vessels.

The ONLY reason why the cruise lines post a note on the door requesting not to keep the door open when not occupying the cabin is because it creates a windtunnel effect causing the entry door to slam shut and potentially harm persons.

Despegue

Captain.

Consultant on Maritime and Aviation Safety.

Archived