Wish I knew that before my first cruise...

Orangeguy

Forgot to mention that I always pack in tissue & plastic cleaning bags to minimize the wrinkles...I roll what I can & have learned to take extra thin hangars packed in the outside pockets of each bag..HAL's hangars are wooden & take up too much room..I usually give the wooden hangers to the steward or find a shelf to store them..You can also put them in your empty suitcases under the bed.. We only use the HAL hangars for DH's suits, Tux & Jackets...

When we had to flew to the Port in the winter, I carefully packed our winter coats & hats in our empty suitcases which we put under the bed.. We had weight restrictions & always carried a hand held scale & only if the bags were under the alloted allowable Kgs/Lbs, did I add a few wire hangars..

Be sure you weigh your bags before going to the airport so you will not be charged excess baggage..

Cheers...:)Betty

Don't get all upset worrying about the so-called "formal" nights. Not every guy wears a tux or even a dark suit. A jacket and tie will do quite nicely. Only the "Clothes Police" found on these boards will make snarky comments about what you choose to wear. In twenty-one cruises I have never, ever overheard anyone comment on what others are wearing. Enjoy!

To the OP..Suggest you cross pack, as you never know when one or more bags are lost on the way to the port, or are delayed in getting to your cabin..In other words, put some of your things & some of your partner's things in each bag, such as underwear, pj's, shirts, formal wear, sweaters, daytime & dinner clothes..

I forgot this one as we always do it - very good advice and easy to do.

DH always has a fit, as he thinks 5 shirts 3 pr of slacks, one Tux, an extra jacket, 5 pr of under ware & 2 pr of shoes will get him through a 30 day cruise..:eek: Care to trade dh's:p

Cheers...:)Betty

Some really good advice here from Betty (which i forgot to give). Cross packing is the secret of success.

Underpacking is the other secret of success

Cross packing is a great idea. We do that too. Except for the formal clothes ... which we just put in one suitcase.

That way if one bag doesn't make it, we still have clothes to get by. Also carry an extra set of clothes in our carryon bag for the plane.

I also cross pack our clothes. We never have a His and a Hers bag....... I would not be a good sport if DH's bag arrived and mine did not. If he had all his things and I had none, that would not be a good thing. :eek: :D

I pack most of our hanging clothes on dry cleaner thin hangers and in dry cleaner plastic bags. We have almost no wrinkles and things are ready for the closet as soon as they come out of the suitcase.

I always lay one or two dry cleaner bags on the bottom of each suitcase and bring it up the sides. I pack and then lay another bag on the top and down the sides. If the suitcase is left out in the rain on a tarmac or on the dock, the contents will remain dry.

I always pack plastic covered metal hangers (they won't rust) that I get from the dollar store. Put 10 in each suitcase and we are set.

One important thing to remember in ports is that often ship time and local time are NOT the same. So be sure to check your daily paper to confirm what time you need to be back on board. Note: If the ship sails at 11:59 pm, it doesn't mean you can get back on board at 11:45 pm. Typically boarding time is 30 minutes to 1 hours before sailing depending on the port. Also if it is a tender port, allow some extra time. You don't want to miss that last tender.

• Try foods that you are not familiar with. If you like it great, if not, you can get something else for "free". I have learned to eat many new foods this way that I would otherwise never have tried.

• Try excursions that offer experiences you have never done before. In Alaska see the whales, take a train ride, do whatever is new. One can always shop elsewhere.

.... Only the "Clothes Police" found on these boards will make snarky comments about what you choose to wear. In twenty-one cruises I have never, ever overheard anyone comment on what others are wearing. Enjoy!

There are no clothes police. Urban myth both on board and on this board. There is no such thing. However, many like formal nights and are sorry to see that others don't honor the dress guidelines. Much like not honoring the tradition of wearing a bathing suit in the pool - then one would come across the clothes police.

Don't get all upset worrying about the so-called "formal" nights. Not every guy wears a tux or even a dark suit. A jacket and tie will do quite nicely. Only the "Clothes Police" found on these boards will make snarky comments about what you choose to wear. In twenty-one cruises I have never, ever overheard anyone comment on what others are wearing. Enjoy!

I agree!..However on one of our cruises several years ago a group boarded the elevator with us..One very happy ;) man Looked at DH in his TUX & asked, "what are you a politician or something? " We laughed it off, but when I told my Friend about it, she said that was very rude of him.. DH has been wearing a dark suit lately, but hope he'll agree to take his TUX along with his dark suit next cruise..

I also cross pack our clothes. We never have a His and a Hers bag....... I would not be a good sport if DH's bag arrived and mine did not. If he had all his things and I had none, that would not be a good thing. :eek: :D

I pack most of our hanging clothes on dry cleaner thin hangers and in dry cleaner plastic bags. We have almost no wrinkles and things are ready for the closet as soon as they come out of the suitcase.

I always lay one or two dry cleaner bags on the bottom of each suitcase and bring it up the sides. I pack and then lay another bag on the top and down the sides. If the suitcase is left out in the rain on a tarmac or on the dock, the contents will remain dry.

OH I forgot that..Not only if they are left out in the rain, but once heard about some bags falling into the drink on another cruise line..We always put dry cleaning bags in the bottom & bring them up the sides & put another bag on top..Don't forget to take a plastic laundry bag..We have a collapsible mesh laundry basket from the dollar store which weighs about 3-4 ounces for our laundry & take plastic clothespins in case I want to wash out a few thing & hang them on the line in our bathroom..

cheers..:).Betty

I agree!..However on one of our cruises several years ago a group boarded the elevator with us..One very happy ;) man Looked at DH in his TUX & asked, "what are you a politician or something? " We laughed it off, but when I told my Friend about it, she said that was very rude of him.. DH has been wearing a dark suit lately, but hope he'll agree to take his TUX along with his dark suit next cruise..

Aha, this gives new meaning to the "clothes police". I thought it referred to those was the ones who allegedly would complain when others did not honor formal night. Now I see it works the other way around. The clothes police are the ones who complain when you do dress up. :cool:

First cruise tips...

After you wash - wash - wash and wash....

* Carrry small bottle of hand sanitizer.

* Late or main Seating is preferred if you want to maximize time a shore.

* Packing - Don't bring the big jacket, bring layers. It can be cool or warm.

* Summer in Seattle starts on July 5 or... maybe Mother's day this year.

* Take the Helicopter tour to the Glacier and mush the Iditarod dogs in training.

* I would not bother doing a fishing trip if you have any actual fishing experience. They try... but perhaps I am spoiled as I have fished on my own in Alsaka.

* http://www.wpyr.com/explore/webcam.html Skagway Train... Another must do!

* Be early for a good window seat in the Crows nest for Glacier Bay if you don't have a balcony. I perfer being outside so I can hear the NOISE when the Glacier's calf.

So much more...

For Alaska and Skagway, read up on the amazing stories about the Yukon Gold Rush and what those miners had to endure just to get to the Yukon. Great historic displays and films in the Nat'l Park office in the one horse street downtown, which ruled the Yukon at one time.

And then the gold ran out. Each miner had to haul 2000 pounds of gear before Canada would even let them pass their frontier and they hauled that up like ants on the "Golden Staircase" of steps carved in the snow and ice - there are movies showing this. Extraordinary endurance for the last great migration in search of riches this part of the world has seen.

Puts complaints about caviar, size of the lobster, A/C and delay flush toilets into a different perspective - they had to pay plenty too for the pleasure of their vacation "hiking" experiences. :cool:

A clear over the door shoe hanger is something I could not live without. All bathroom stuff goes in there and keeps the bathroom and countertops neat.

Have lunch in the Pinnacle Grill, it is well worth the $ and half the price of dinner there.

Catch a sunrise from the CN or prom deck. Wonderful

Now that you are overloaded with information I would suggest you ignore half of it, and pay no attention to the other half. :D

You seem to be a young guy and I would imagine you've done at least some traveling. We've travelled all over the world and actually went to some very exotic places with carry on luggage alone. If you bring the necessities you can do very well with a minimum of items. Cruising is really not that much different than any other type of travel. Yes, some folks travel with a small pharmacy in their luggage but I wouldn't say that is the norm.

Really, just pack the things that some have mentioned that make good sense for the climate in Alaska. Layered clothing, rainwear, and the things like binoculars (unless you are in a suite in which case HAL provides them for you).

It's only a matter of days til you sail so enjoy the anticipation and don't over analyze the situation. You're gonna have a good time!

[quote name='serendipity1499'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]One very happy ;) man Looked at DH in his TUX & asked, "what are you a politician or something? " [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

He should have snapped back with: "No, the name is Bond.. James Bond". :D

Take half as many clothes and TWICE as much $$$$.

Be sure to notify your credit card company that you are traveling (they may aak for your destinations) so your card won't be "frozen" for shopping, etc.

Make copies of your passport, credit cards, health insurance cards, DR. license, and travel insurance policy --- leave one with family, leave one in your carryon, and one with traveling partner.

Extra batteries and memory cards (these are expensive on board and tourist stops).

Keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude.

have a wonderful time !!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I'm confident its going to be a great cruise.. no matter what. When else will I get the opportunity to see glaciers. And thankfully given all the recent problems on other ships, we're cruising Alaska so I don't see A/C being a problem. ;)

One question... Once the ship has been cleared in port, how long does it generally take to get off? Assuming you don't have to tender.

[quote name='Orangeguy']Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I'm confident its going to be a great cruise.. no matter what. When else will I get the opportunity to see glaciers. And thankfully given all the recent problems on other ships, we're cruising Alaska so I don't see A/C being a problem. ;)

One question... Once the ship has been cleared in port, how long does it generally take to get off? Assuming you don't have to tender.[/QUOTE]

As fast as the passengers can move. When we arrive at a port at 8:00AM I HAVE BEEN OFF AND READY TO START A SHORE EXCURSION BY 8:30AM.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]When we first started to cruise -- back in the 80's -- no Internet to ask questions.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Had to depend on lour TA.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]When we first started to cruise back in the 80's -- no Internet and no TA and no problems.

We received a last minute closeout offer for an Alaska cruise at a price that was too good to resist.
We simply picked up the phone and booked it, stopped by the public library and checked out a couple of books about Alaska to take along, packed up and off we went.

We had a wonderful time.

We did not worry about any of the things that people worry about on these boards because we did not know that we were supposed to worry about them.

We did not bring along any of the extra junk that people are always telling you to bring because we did not know we were supposed to bring it, so we never missed it.

We got plenty of information about what to do at the ports from other people on the ship who had been to Alaska before, from the library books we brought along, from the port presentations on the ship and browsing through the shore excursion brochures.

If I was taking my very first cruise today, with all the advice on these boards about what to take and what to do and what not to take or do and all the possible things that may go wrong, I would probably be a nervous wreck.

So I am actually very glad that I did not know any of the stuff posted here before my first cruise.

Just go and enjoy yourself!
If you find that you really need something you forgot to pack, you can pick it up along the way.

[quote name='fleckle']When we first started to cruise back in the 80's -- no Internet and no TA and no problems.

We received a last minute closeout offer for an Alaska cruise at a price that was too good to resist.
We simply picked up the phone and booked it, stopped by the public library and checked out a couple of books about Alaska to take along, packed up and off we went.

We had a wonderful time.

We did not worry about any of the things that people worry about on these boards because we did not know that we were supposed to worry about them.

We did not bring along any of the extra junk that people are always telling you to bring because we did not know we were supposed to bring it, so we never missed it.

We got plenty of information about what to do at the ports from other people on the ship who had been to Alaska before, from the library books we brought along, from the port presentations on the ship and browsing through the shore excursion brochures.

If I was taking my very first cruise today, with all the advice on these boards about what to take and what to do and what not to take or do and all the possible things that may go wrong, I would probably be a nervous wreck.

So I am actually very glad that I did not know any of the stuff posted here before my first cruise.

Just go and enjoy yourself!
If you find that you really need something you forgot to pack, you can pick it up along the way.[/quote]

Thats pretty much what I did on my first cruise except I didn't go to the library! Good advice for all starting to cruise as well as those who have done it for years. If you've got your passport, you're good to go!:cool:

Archived