Wifi access

torty

And a program such as Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express that checks for new mail once a minute is all it takes.

So true. :( It can happen to anyone, as you may be using a system at work or home that does auto log off/lock and then find it is different on other PCs. Mic:D

Had the port side corner aft on the Baha Deck in April and the signal sufficiently weak to be unusable. Up two floors in the Horizon Court it was 100%. If you have a balcony, once you are docked you can connect to free wifi in many port terminals.

Phones and tabs may be quicker than notebooks, laptops and the ship's computers because they require far less data to paint the screen.

At no place on a cruise ship can Internet access be considered "fast."

At best it is about the speed of a good phone dial-up Internet.

I also have not found that being close to the Internet room near the Piazza makes any difference in speed. The main factor that influences speed of the Internet is how many people on board are trying to use its limited capacity at the same time.

In the past, the only simultaneous users were 25 passengers in the Internet Cafe and ship's staff in their equivalent room.

Now there is the potential for every passenger to be trying to use it at the same time on their laptops, Kindles, iPads, smart phones, etc. Ditto for all of the off duty crew.

Admittedly not everyone will be trying to use it at once, but there is a big difference between the 25 possible Internet Cafe users in the past and the hundreds of passengers who will be trying to use it at the same time present day.

Also, there is no guarantee of Internet access at any speed. The location of the ship may be out of satellite range or onboard hardware may be malfunctioning.

In certain parts of the world (for example territorial waters of Japan) access to Internet from the ship is forbidden by local law.

Have to disagree. This system was as fast as I have at home and that for sure is not a dial up. I posted MY experience which was fine.

I was pleasantly surprised. The system did slow down later in the afternoon when more folks were online.

Does anyone know where the CB's WiFi hotspot is? Is there some secret room somewhere on the ship that you can sit closer to, to get a better signal? :confused: :rolleyes:

All the ships have hot spots in the ceiling of the halls.

Does anyone know where the CB's WiFi hotspot is? Is there some secret room somewhere on the ship that you can sit closer to, to get a better signal? :confused: :rolleyes:

When you sign up for an Intenet package, they give you the location of the "hot spots". Public rooms are usually good; but you can access the system from your stateroom too. Signal strength may depend on where you are vs. nearest antenna. It was interesting to see 4 bars in my room with the door open and one small bar with the door closed.:)

When you sign up for an Intenet package, they give you the location of the "hot spots". Public rooms are usually good; but you can access the system from your stateroom too. Signal strength may depend on where you are vs. nearest antenna. It was interesting to see 4 bars in my room with the door open and one small bar with the door closed.:)

I have never seen a list of the hot spots, either when signing up for a package or posted at the internet Cafe.

Archived