Hep me!! Hep me!!

tee_wrecks

Okay, the DW is starting to ask questions. (Don'tcha hate it when that happens?) Got 2 of em to start.

1. We're staying at a B&B in Moose Pass for a few days after our cruise and have to be in Soldotna one morning for a fishing trip at 5:30am. Wondering what the drive time from Moose Pass to Soldtna is. Best case, worst case...what kind of traffic is there at that time of morning.

2. Same deal driving from Anchorage straight through to Moose Pass. We won't be driving straight through but I'd like to know how long it will take in order to plan my side trips. (Girdwood tram, Portage Lake cruise)

3. Okay, I lied, there are more than 2 questions. Same info for the drive from Moose Pass to Seward to facilitate our Kenai Fjiords cruise that leaves at 9am.

Thanks in advance and if you want to toss in some recommendations on spiffy restuarants in the Moose Pass/Seward areas for a 30th anniversary dinner, feel free.

Fair skies, smooth sailing.

Bill

It's around 30 miles from Moose Pass to Seward, but I would plan an hour. A beautiful drive in the early am, but watch our for, well - moose. That would be the only traffic unless some local folks on their way to Seward. Soldotna is about 60 miles - plan at least 1 1/2 hours. Again little traffic that early. However, if you are going to be driving on a weekend be aware that there are about 10,000 other people headed to the Kenai for salmon fishing, many of them driving large slow motorhomes that are difficult to pass on two-lane winding roads. While not many of them will be out at 430 am, there will be some traffic. Anchorage to Moose Pass with no motorhomes is around 2 1/2 hours including a stop at the expresso place in Girdwood.

I would not be staying in Moose Pass IF You have a Soldotna fishing trip. It is 65 miles away, stay at Soldotna instead. Frankly- there is nothing in Moose Pass, and you will be going back and forth to Seward- 30 miles. As recommended above, allow and hour to Seward. As for from Anchorage allow at least 2++ hours.

Congratulations on your anniversary!! 30 years is a long time with the same person!!:)

I too must agree that Moose Pass is not an ideal location to stay.While the drives are very nice IF no traffic(who's joking here ughhh) your going to be tired just from all the driving. Don't know what day your planning your KFT trip but if it's a cruise ship day in Seward be prepared for ALOT of traffic/buses heading in, even at 6am!! I personally would spend a night in Seward and a night in Soldotna.

The Crab Pot restaurant in Seward should be opening soon.They had a fire a couple years ago and have been busy remodeling.They were very popular but spendy.You might want to check on their progress for a nice anniversary dinner.

Thanks as always for the great information. I appreciate the suggestions to stay in Seward and Soldotna but there are some other factors involved not the least of which is that I drive 50 miles each way to work everyday so a drive on mountainous roads of 30 miles is a day at the beach and the drive to Soldotna is not entirely unmanageable. We added the Soldotna trip and the Kenai Fjiords cruise at a later time well after we decided that Moose Pass would be centrally located in relation to the things we intend to see and do. Our original intention was to kind of putter around, be tourists, and shoot lots of photos. Also, we tend to like to have a place to come "home" to at the end of the day as opposed to being in a different room every night.

BQ, I do appreciate all your input and the valuable info I've gleaned from reading your posts on this board. As far as there being "nothing" in Moose Pass, that's kinda sorta why we picked it. We both work in a big city and live in the suburbs and don't at all mind vacationing in a place where there's not a Burger King or strip mall on every corner.

Thanks again, all. Keep the info coming in. For a research junkie like me, this is heavenly.

> Also, we tend to like to have a place to come "home" to at the end of the day as opposed to being in a different room every night.

Oh yeah. It's nice to have DAYS at the place(s) you're staying--not just nights.

Archived