Royal Kicked Us Off!!!

To answer some of the points made so far:

It was the Reservation Resolution agent+supervisor that ended up denying our booking yesterday,

We booked this trip about 6 weeks ago, not 6 months.

Granddaughter is only one NOT 18, shy of only 2 wks of her birthday!

My booking was for 3 outside cabins in a row (adjoining but not connecting) at the forward end of the hallway (Cat. G) whereby 1 cabin was for max 3 and 2 cabins for 2 only -- and I was told that was the LAST cabin for 3 except for JS.

When I booked it & paid it, the guy (don't have his name) said DH + I had to be in middle cabin because our cabin walls adjoin the 2 cabins with the girls, and get the "notarized permission/designation of temporary guardianship for specific cruise" (RC repr's words), and never a mention of needing someone else over 21. Birthdates for each person was entered into the reservation.

Last week, I called Crown+Anchor about a rumor on these boards of a $25pp onboard credit for bringing 1st time cruisers to RC, and yes, I could get only 1 $25 OBC per newbie per cabin. So in reviewing the occupancy in each the C+A woman said "Oh I see Megan was born in 1983 and I said no, 1993 -- she said "well, it was entered that way" and I said the repr I talked to entered it." So that may have been what triggered a red flag on our booking....unbeknowst to me that was a problem!!! I had filled in online checkin correctly but the initial booking was wrong.

Last night I called back in to find out what would resolve this problem -- answer, add another parent -- but where? Our 3 in a row cabins did allow for an 8th person. Where else? Oh, there are 2 JS cabins that hold 3 but nowhere near the other 3 -- and what would that cost, I ask -- $1000 more than what our present cabin for 3 cost!!! No offer to reduce the JS price, of course!! And if we added an inside cabin near our 3, then I need 2 more parents to go....and our travel group of 7 goes to 9. (Driving down to FL from TN in a vehicle that holds 8 max, so we can't go up to 9!)

Finally, my friend TA emailed me back this AM to say she was shocked at this and was unaware of any change in occupancy rules that could have kicked us off ship unless it was quite recent!!

It has been mentioned here that it was a mistake of RCI, as their agent put in the wrong DOB.

I´m not familiar with booking over the phone with RCI and what protocoll they follow.

My experience when doing business over the phone with other companies is that I get a written confirmation and it´s my responsibility to carefully review the written statement to see if it´s correct.

Is this different with RCI? If not I think the OP should have caught the wrong DOB and the situation could have been dealt with right at booking.

Right above highlighted and in bold the OP herself admits that she filled in the on-line check-in. Right in the on-line check-in it clearly shows and also gives you the ability to change date of births. So to answer your question Paul...yes the OP either didn't notice the wrong date of birth or did and just changed it herself in the on-line check-in.

It has been mentioned here that it was a mistake of RCI, as their agent put in the wrong DOB.

I´m not familiar with booking over the phone with RCI and what protocoll they follow.

My experience when doing business over the phone with other companies is that I get a written confirmation and it´s my responsibility to carefully review the written statement to see if it´s correct.

Is this different with RCI? If not I think the OP should have caught the wrong DOB and the situation could have been dealt with right at booking.

I agree with you that checking the invoices that are e-mailed after making the reservation may have helped if, in fact, there was a mix-up in birthdays. I read every word on my invoices but that is just a product of my OCD.:p I have no issue with RCI's policies on this matter either. However, I still find it troubling that RCI had flagged this reservation but did not contact the owner of the reservation when the issue was identified. If there were an issue with scheduling in my office we would contact the person as soon as we identified it and fix it. We would not wait until the person showed up and then tell them we would not accomodate them. In fact, if my office is responsible for the scheduling screw up and we don't find it then we go out of our way to provide service to the person when he/she shows up. And my patients only have to drive across town they don't have to fly across the country to get to me. It is just all an issue of customer service and letting your patrons know that they do matter.

I agree with you that checking the invoices that are e-mailed after making the reservation may have helped if, in fact, there was a mix-up in birthdays. I read every word on my invoices but that is just a product of my OCD.:p I have no issue with RCI's policies on this matter either. However, I still find it troubling that RCI had flagged this reservation but did not contact the owner of the reservation when the issue was identified. If there were an issue with scheduling in my office we would contact the person as soon as we identified it and fix it. We would not wait until the person showed up and then tell them we would not accomodate them. In fact, if my office is responsible for the scheduling screw up and we don't find it then we go out of our way to provide service to the person when he/she shows up. And my patients only have to drive across town they don't have to fly across the country to get to me. It is just all an issue of customer service and letting your patrons know that they do matter.

Everyone keeps talking about this reservation being flagged....I NEVER anywhere see where Royal told the guest the reservation was actually "flagged" on their system....the only mention I ever see of any flag is when the OP used the phrase

"So that may have been what triggered a red flag on our booking"

In what post or where does it ever say that the reservation actually got flagged on Royal's system, bringing it to their attention, and that it was ignored:confused: I think the OP just used that term loosely....not literally.

I don't believe that Royal is in the business of trying to piss people off as many here try to make it out to be. Actually truth be told Royal spends a lot more money than many other cruise lines when it comes to customer service and doesn't just look at nothing but how it's going to effect it's bottom line as many here will make you want to believe. All companies unfortunately have break-downs with-in their organizations from time to time...people are only human. Many posts you read here on CC like to accentuate those break-downs much more than compliment the good things....that is just how most public boards seem to be. The break-down was realized late in the game....that was unfortunate and in a perfect world it should have been prevented to begin with...however things aren't always perfect. The mistake did however get realized before things got even worse and the OP is getting a full refund. Large companies aren't always good when things break down as no one person you will get on the phone has the ultimate power to make all decisions and make things right....it is a chain of command that it passes through. As frustrating as it is I don't see what Royal could have done to be able to make this situation work and all of you sail.....it was against their policy and the reservation shouldn't have been taken to begin with....yes...that is where Royal went wrong. Posting that 'ROYAL KICKED US OFF" wasn't probably the best way to approach things....you were never on the ship so you were never kicked off the ship.

To the OP.....In a situation like this....it always seems that you will get much further by trying to take a deep breath and send off a letter or e-mail to corporate. They do take these things seriously and do try to make things right.....it's much easier and cheaper to keep a customer...and Royal knows that. You have sailed many times with them and I am sure they will look at that very favorable...I suggest if you haven't already...forget the phone game and send a letter right up to the top explaining what occurred in a very calm and factual way...I think you that will get you a much more satisfactory response to this situation.

The OP should be able to title her post with whatever title she wants. Not only did Royal kick them off, they were not going to even tell them this until after their 10 hour drive to the port. Do you work for Royal, they screwed up, why don't you write them a letter, instead of scolding the OP!:mad:

The OP should be able to title her post with whatever title she wants. Not only did Royal kick them off, they were not going to even tell them this until after their 10 hour drive to the port. Do you work for Royal, they screwed up, why don't you write them a letter, instead of scolding the OP!:mad:

I didn't scold the OP, I gave them constructive suggestions as to how I found threw my own personal experience to best handle situations for the most positive response ...and if it was my issue I would have written corporate an e-mail just like I suggested to the OP.

I will also note that all 3 of your ONLY posts on CC have been confrontational.

Everyone keeps talking about this reservation being flagged....I NEVER anywhere see where Royal told the guest the reservation was actually "flagged" on their system....the only mention I ever see of any flag is when the OP used the phrase

"So that may have been what triggered a red flag on our booking"

In what post or where does it ever say that the reservation actually got flagged on Royal's system, bringing it to their attention, and that it was ignored:confused: I think the OP just used that term loosely....not literally.

I am not going back through 12 pages to find it. Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't, maybe the OP can post and clear it up. For whatever reason, this reservation was made by an RCI rep. and RCI accepted payment. One week before the cruise the whole thing falls apart. Luckily, the OP called RCI to ask a question or the whole thing would have fallen apart at the cruise terminal. It appears that RCI has done nothing for the OP but refund the cruise fare. The situation stinks. I think that those points are all valid.

What I find a bit interesting is how one party has the right to unilaterally vacate a contract. If the OP had decided, for any reason that they could not make this cruise she would have been entitled to nothing just as the contract that she agreed to stipulates. But RCI has the ability to cancel the contract for any reason and during any time frame. I am no lawyer but it seems to me that when RCI accepted payment that this booking, the contract became binding on both parties. The ship didn't break down. There was no act of nature involved. Maybe the birthday mess up rendered the contract invalid or maybe it just falls under the "any reason" clause I guess. It still amazes me that we all agree to book cruises under these conditions but, of course, it is what it is.

When you do the online checkin, the birth month & date are shown as numbers, but the year is "xxxx" and then you click on the box and then scroll+click on the correct year.

I have heard from RC that the refund is "in process" and coming in several different amounts as the cruise care, cruise fee and taxes/port charges come in separate amounts. I have been advised it should post on our card mid-next week.

I had a call from a "certified vacation planner" with RC inquiring why I cancelled my cruise and of course I said I did not cancel -- RC cancelled me. She claimed I talked to the wrong sales dept when I booked it -- now I ask, how am I (who usually uses a TA) supposed to know that calling the phone number shown on the RC website will or will not direct me to "right" sales dept. She claimed she & others in her dept are "better trained".....someone else from RC has hinted there are 2 sales depts....anyone know about that!!

I definitely think I was kicked off by Royal....

Oh yes, I WILL BE WRITING CORPORATE --- calmly composing a detailed commentary during our stay in the condo in Daytona Beach -- not right now during all the family doings for graduation....

More later -- got to get dressed for the graduation events this AM!

When you do the online checkin, the birth month & date are shown as numbers, but the year is "xxxx" and then you click on the box and then scroll+click on the correct year.

I have heard from RC that the refund is "in process" and coming in several different amounts as the cruise care, cruise fee and taxes/port charges come in separate amounts. I have been advised it should post on our card mid-next week.

I had a call from a "certified vacation planner" with RC inquiring why I cancelled my cruise and of course I said I did not cancel -- RC cancelled me. She claimed I talked to the wrong sales dept when I booked it -- now I ask, how am I (who usually uses a TA) supposed to know that calling the phone number shown on the RC website will or will not direct me to "right" sales dept. She claimed she & others in her dept are "better trained".....someone else from RC has hinted there are 2 sales depts....anyone know about that!!

I definitely think I was kicked off by Royal....

Oh yes, I WILL BE WRITING CORPORATE --- calmly composing a detailed commentary during our stay in the condo in Daytona Beach -- not right now during all the family doings for graduation....

Congrats on the graduation! Have a great day!

Whenever I call RCI, I always get transferred multiple times - even though they have me hit all of those numbers from the prerecorded messages to get me to the right person. The last time I called Royal to link dining reservations, the person who picked up the phone immediately transferred me - to someone else who immediately transferred me - to someone else who ended up transferring me. What the heck? I didn't know that linking dining reservations was so difficult.

I think they have a number that you're supposed to call if you're Crown & Anchor and it's supposedly better - which is weird because you'd think they would be as equally interested in attracting new business as they are maintaining loyal customers. It's ridiculous that one set of people should be treated better than another.

Whenever I call RCI, I always get transferred multiple times - even though they have me hit all of those numbers from the prerecorded messages to get me to the right person. The last time I called Royal to link dining reservations, the person who picked up the phone immediately transferred me - to someone else who immediately transferred me - to someone else who ended up transferring me. What the heck? I didn't know that linking dining reservations was so difficult.

I think they have a number that you're supposed to call if you're Crown & Anchor and it's supposedly better - which is weird because you'd think they would be as equally interested in attracting new business as they are maintaining loyal customers. It's ridiculous that one set of people should be treated better than another.

I have never encountered that when I have called the C&A number. In fact, I can't remember not ever having my issues resolved quickly and in a very friendly manner. I will certainly give RCI credit where it is due. And I suspect that the OP, with so long of a cruise history, would have been dealing with C&A on the phone.

I'm still not sure RCCL has my correct birthday in their system because every time I call it seems to need to be adjusted so now they just leave it blank and have to ask me. I only knew it was amiss one time when booking a cabin for DH and I and the agent laughed and told me their system had me as 1937 instead of 73 and she was going to congratulate me being my DH is 1977, lol!

I really feel for the OP but the problem is because of the agent mistake listing the wrong birthdate, nothing was flagged in their system until the OP made the correction when she called - so nothing would have triggered the system to notify her until they got to the pier. We shouldn't have to double and triple check but for vacations I always do just to be on the safe side. Unfortunately for OP she had double checked when she booked and asked the right questions and the incorrect birthdate made all the answers she got wrong but how was she to know that?

I hope you get a nice response and hopefully a goodwill discount or OBC off a future cruise!

Wish you the best, keep us posted.

Geez, this could have been handled so easily. It I was in RCI Management, I would have waived the booking age requirements for all of your party, and you would have kept the original reservations.

What the heck is so difficult about that?

Whatever it took? Including booting someone off the ship? Very few rooms accommodate 6+ passengers and having everyone in one room is the only way these guests would have been compliant with the policy.

I agree it is a terrible situation but "doing whatever it took" is a ridiculous standard and would only result in making more guests mad.

"Doing whatever it took" is not ridiculous. At least not when you want to pride yourself on excellent customer service. At a minimum you attempt to try or make it look as if you did.

All Royal had to do is place a few phone calls to those booked in a cabin that accomadated four that didn't have four booked in them. It's very possible that there was a cabin or two booked this way. Wave some nicely sized OBC under their nose and persuade them to change rooms. Kay's party would have been down to two rooms...each booked with an adult over 21.

The OBC would have been a small price to pay to smooth this over and keep the booking for Kay's entire party. Instead, Royal shot themselves in the foot and decided that refunding the booking for Kay's entire party was the only solution. Not only did they lose the booking, but they ticked off future customers and left money on the table with any on board purchases a party that big would have made. It's truly as shame.

Whatever it took? Including booting someone off the ship? Very few rooms accommodate 6+ passengers and having everyone in one room is the only way these guests would have been compliant with the policy.

I agree it is a terrible situation but "doing whatever it took" is a ridiculous standard and would only result in making more guests mad.

"Doing whatever it took" IS NOT a "rediculous standard." Had RCCL done whatever it to to remedy this situation the follow should have occurred:

#1) The original booking should NEVER have been cancelled

#2) The family should have been allowed to cruise, PERIOD

Had #1 and #2 taken place, there would have been no need to "boot someone off the ship."

As many have said before, we all know policies can and do get broken. Hell, I break my own policies in our business, sometime you have to, whether you like it or not.

Tim

"Doing whatever it took" is not ridiculous. At least not when you want to pride yourself on excellent customer service. At a minimum you attempt to try or make it look as if you did.

All Royal had to do is place a few phone calls to those booked in a cabin that accomadated four that didn't have four booked in them. It's very possible that there was a cabin or two booked this way. Wave some nicely sized OBC under their nose and persuade them to change rooms. Kay's party would have been down to two rooms...each booked with an adult over 21.

The OBC would have been a small price to pay to smooth this over and keep the booking for Kay's entire party. Instead, Royal shot themselves in the foot and decided that refunding the booking for Kay's entire party was the only solution. Not only did they lose the booking, but they ticked off future customers and left money on the table with any on board purchases a party that big would have made. It's truly as shame.

If my husband and I were booked in a cabin for 4 and was asked to switch I would gladly do so even with no OBC. Just knowing folks wouldn't have to cancel their cruise would be thanks enough. However, a small OBC would make it sweeter ;)

BonTXNY: You are sweet to say you would have switched!! You know what, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of any type of a solution was ever suggested or proposed that day I got the BAD NEWS. That plus never having made an effort to call me are 2 of the things that have bothered me soooo much. Problem is Monarch has much much smaller cabins than ships built after 2000....so don't know how many they have outerview that hold 4....

In all of the recent RCL bungles, it seems that there is one common thing - lack of communication. And this goes back to the situation where people were left stranded when the ship departed early. The change in cabin locations after refurbishment. Not telling Kaye that there was an issue with her booking until she called them.

If they can't communicate with their paying customers, then no wonder each RCL contact point offers a different story. How many times have I read on these boards that if you don't get the info you need on one day, then call another day because you might get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Not really good enough, is it!

BonTXNY: You are sweet to say you would have switched!! You know what, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of any type of a solution was ever suggested or proposed that day I got the BAD NEWS. That plus never having made an effort to call me are 2 of the things that have bothered me soooo much. Problem is Monarch has much much smaller cabins than ships built after 2000....so don't know how many they have outerview that hold 4....

Of course I would have switched. I'm sure most would also. Or at least I hope they would have.

I remember when we were on the Majesty with our daughter who was relagated to the upper pullman. Isn't that the same size as the Monarch?There could have been a second pullman but didn't notice since we didn't need it. I just bet there were enough cabins for 4 to help you out. I have a good friend who was a front desk manager in 2 upscale mid-Manhattan hotels. She told me they always said the hotel was booked solid but they always kept a few rooms free for crazy situations that pop up. I know a cruise ship is not a hotel but still.....

As far as RCI customer service, how many in here have called more than once and gotten different information each time?

If my husband and I were booked in a cabin for 4 and was asked to switch I would gladly do so even with no OBC. Just knowing folks wouldn't have to cancel their cruise would be thanks enough. However, a small OBC would make it sweeter ;)

What a kind thing to say...I think most of us would do the same. :)

Of course I would have switched. I'm sure most would also. Or at least I hope they would have.

I remember when we were on the Majesty with our daughter who was relagated to the upper pullman. Isn't that the same size as the Monarch?There could have been a second pullman but didn't notice since we didn't need it. I just bet there were enough cabins for 4 to help you out. I have a good friend who was a front desk manager in 2 upscale mid-Manhattan hotels. She told me they always said the hotel was booked solid but they always kept a few rooms free for crazy situations that pop up. I know a cruise ship is not a hotel but still.....

As far as RCI customer service, how many in here have called more than once and gotten different information each time?

I certainly have! And not just on RCI.

It's amazing to me, in these trying times, where so many of us are so thankful for our jobs, that there are other people who have jobs in the service industry., but just don't care to do them to the best of their ability.

:confused:

I certainly have! And not just on RCI.

It's amazing to me, in these trying times, where so many of us are so thankful for our jobs, that there are other people who have jobs in the service industry., but just don't care to do them to the best of their ability.

:confused:

I agree with you. More and more customer service reps don't seem to go the extra mile to right a wrong. IMHO RCI sure didn't for the OP.

Most folks in this country, do have a good work ethic. They work hard and want to provide all they can for their families. People in the service industry need to be trained properly in correct customer service. There is no reason to call a company 3x and get 3 different answers.

Just as an example, I called RCI three different times to ask about the "Best Price Guarantee Program". I just wanted to confirm what I thought it to mean. Twice I got totally different answers. The third time, the rep informed me she didn't know what I was talking about. :eek:

On the other hand, RCI was wonderful when I took a nasty fall on the Voyager in Jan. 2011

Oh forgot to tell you all this when I posted this AM -- in Friday's email from RC there was a subtle acknowledgement that RC knows I truly talked to a REAL PERSON to book the cruise and that person messed up, because it was stated that the person who took my booking would receive some retraining....every other conversation I have had with them, RC has insisted that I had NOT talked to a person, that I had booked on-line...maybe they finally found the tape recording of my conversation with the mystery person....

I am concerned that RC people I have talked to in past week cannot explain to me if and how I could book a cruise taking our 6 grandkids in the future so that the 3 girls could have a cabin, the 3 boys have a cabin & Mike+me in our own cabin.

We really enjoyed all our past RC cruises as well as the 2 Celebrity cruises. Though I am still angry at RC, I sure wouldn't turn down a future cruise credit -- that would be an incentive to try RC again -- however nothing has been offered...

I agree with you. More and more customer service reps don't seem to go the extra mile to right a wrong. IMHO RCI sure didn't for the OP.

Most folks in this country, do have a good work ethic. They work hard and want to provide all they can for their families. People in the service industry need to be trained properly in correct customer service. There is no reason to call a company 3x and get 3 different answers.

Just as an example, I called RCI three different times to ask about the "Best Price Guarantee Program". I just wanted to confirm what I thought it to mean. Twice I got totally different answers. The third time, the rep informed me she didn't know what I was talking about. :eek:

On the other hand, RCI was wonderful when I took a nasty fall on the Voyager in Jan. 2011

I find the issues to be with management not with the reps. Contact with RCI customer reps. "may be recorded for quality and training purposes". What is the point of making the recordings if they are not going to be reviewed and action taken based on the accuracy and friendliness of the interaction? If management took this seriously then they would get customer service up to speed and we would not constantly be reading stories like what you posted above.

As I have posted previously, most of my interactions with C&A have been highly positive with reps being very friendly and either answering my questions or resolving my issues. There, obviously, are some problems with customer service as we read about them on these boards and I am sure it is not limited to only people who post on C.C. When management decides that they care about this issue it will get straightened out and not before. The process is not that hard. All they have to do is train the reps, review the tapes of interactions, and provide remediation when called for. With unemployment being what it is is this country it shouldn't be too hard to replace people with poor job performance.

I find the issues to be with management not with the reps. Contact with RCI customer reps. "may be recorded for quality and training purposes". What is the point of making the recordings if they are not going to be reviewed and action taken based on the accuracy and friendliness of the interaction? If management took this seriously then they would get customer service up to speed and we would not constantly be reading stories like what you posted above.

As I have posted previously, most of my interactions with C&A have been highly positive with reps being very friendly and either answering my questions or resolving my issues. There, obviously, are some problems with customer service as we read about them on these boards and I am sure it is not limited to only people who post on C.C. When management decides that they care about this issue it will get straightened out and not before. The process is not that hard. All they have to do is train the reps, review the tapes of interactions, and provide remediation when called for. With unemployment being what it is is this country it shouldn't be too hard to replace people with poor job performance.

Ocean Boy, I totally agree. As I have stated in my previous post, employees need to be trained properly, plain and simple. I was told in my company that the cost for training each employee is thousands of dollars taking into account trainer salary, resources, time away from the job while training yet still getting paid, etc., etc. Poor customer service translates to poor PR.

On another note, I love Rhode Island, more so now since I'm landlocked in Plano, TX.

Archived