Amex platinum run around. Can anyone help?

Angiet2

Hi All,

We booked a cruise thru a very well known internet TA (that advertises heavily on CC) using our Platinum Amex, in hopes of receiving the $300 OBC that supposedly comes along w/ my card.

However, the TA claims that they do not know anything about said Amex Platinum Perk...When I call Amex, they tell me that I must book through their travel dept., in order to receive this benefit. It was always my understanding, from what I have read on CC, that I did not have to book thru Amex's travel dept to receive this perk (since they charge more than the well known internet TA, I would have basically been paying my OBC and then some!).

I am hoping that some of our wonderful CC community members who have used the perk/benefit can clarify exactly how to receive the credit and hopefully, stop the run-a-round.

Thanks so much!! Truly appreciate any and all help/feedback.

yes you do indeed have to use American Express's tavel dept. to receive the 300.00 OBC,but why would you not want to use them they are wonderful and bend over backwards for you...we love our platinum..:) i'm not understanding your comment when you say you will use all your OBC plus some??? never have had this issue using our platinum card...

yes you do indeed have to use American Express's tavel dept. to receive the 300.00 OBC,but why would you not want to use them they are wonderful and bend over backwards for you...we love our platinum..:) i'm not understanding your comment when you say you will use all your OBC plus some??? never have had this issue using our platinum card...

I think the OP meant that the cost through AM is $300 plus over what they are paying through their TA.

I have always found better deals than going through AmEx.

I think the OP meant that the cost through AM is $300 plus over what they are paying through their TA.

I have always found better deals than going through AmEx.

oh yes you are probably right on the OP's meaning....

Hi All,

We booked a cruise thru a very well known internet TA (that advertises heavily on CC) using our Platinum Amex, in hopes of receiving the $300 OBC that supposedly comes along w/ my card.

However, the TA claims that they do not know anything about said Amex Platinum Perk...When I call Amex, they tell me that I must book through their travel dept., in order to receive this benefit. It was always my understanding, from what I have read on CC, that I did not have to book thru Amex's travel dept to receive this perk (since they charge more than the well known internet TA, I would have basically been paying my OBC and then some!).

I am hoping that some of our wonderful CC community members who have used the perk/benefit can clarify exactly how to receive the credit and hopefully, stop the run-a-round.

It might be that you TA is part of another consortium and the benefits are not combinable. I know people who get these benefits on the HAL board but they booked directly through the cruise line.

I know for a fact (at least as of last year) that these benefits were not combinable with a travel agent who works under "Ensemble" and you have one of their group rates. That is because you wre be getting the other group perks. You need to verify all of this before you book. Also, I thought the OBC was for Suites only (but maybe you are booked in a Suite?)

Ask your TA is you are under a group rate and with whom.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1532313&highlight=american+express

Here is another thread regarding this. It sounds like the rules are on the Am X Platinum website.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1409170

Hi.

My TA always gets me an obc plus a bottle of wine and dinner in a specialty restaurant. I don't know how but I know she calls somebody. I don't know if this helps or not but you should definitely pursue it further.

Hi All,

Hi Angie,

I received an invite to join Amex Platinum this week. In the "fine print" it stated you must book through their travel agency.

I do not think you will win this battle, unless you are able to cancel and rebook with the Amex TA. Even then, it might be sketchy, as they might say it's for "new bookings only", and you may not qualify. If you can cancel without a penalty... before you do, I'd call Amex and ask if cancelling and rebooking would be allowed.

I wish I could be of more assistance. Good Luck !

we usually always book while on the ship,so this allows me to get the OBC from the cruise company and then i transfer it to Amer.Ex and also get the OBC there as well...we also use a private TA just in case Amer.Ex can't match the deal...

You do NOT need to book through Amex Travel to get their Perks. It is one of the benefits of having the Platinum card.

Your TA needs to call Platinum Travel and get a code from them that confirms that you have paid deposits and final through your Platinum Card. Your TA should take that code and then call the Amex desk at Celebrity and they will add the perks to your ressie.

HOWEVER, Celebrity's deal with Amex is renewed annually and this past year some modifications were made to the rules. Here is what we were told.......You cannot combine Amex perks with Celebrity OBC's in most instances or they will only give you partial credit. And Amex perks are now not combinable with Guarantee fares. It seems they are trying to prevent double dipping.

We always book with an online TA and up until our last booking, they have always done the above and the Amex perks have been applied to our sailing. In fact, I have held on to my Platinum Amex with the ridiculous fees, just for this reason! This time we booked a guarantee and were advised by Celebrity, that as of January, guarantees are no longer eligible for program.

Hope this helps!

You do NOT need to book through Amex Travel to get their Perks. It is one of the benefits of having the Platinum card.

Sorry for the bold. Didn't mean to sound so "forceful" :confused: I was updating my user options to try to figure out how to change font sizes. I think I have it now......

Anyhow, regarding Amex posting in their rules that cruises must be booked through Amex travel, you are correct in that it does say that, but when I asked a TA about it a few years back, they said that it was not the case and since then we have always received the benefits. I booked once through Amex travel but they didn't offer any OBC's or perks. The Amex benefits are great, especially when added to an OBC from a large online agency. But without the OBC, it really depends on the cruise fare.

So now I transfer my bookings after they are set up, to an online TA who offers very nice OBC's, and then arranges the platinum benefits. We have kept the Platinum card as we cruise at least once a year and these benefits justify the cost of the card to us.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was very surprised to learn after my final payment was made on our upcoming cruise that the contract between Celebrity and Amex was modified. I actually called Celebrity myself and asked their Amex desk for clarification. That is when I learned that guarantees don't apply anymore. We are very happy with our guarantee fare so not so upset. Just be careful to check that you qualify if you are receiving passages OBC's or the like from Celebrity or booking a guarantee otherwise you may be disappointed after final is paid and you find out that because Celebrity was giving you a $100 OBC you gave up the same plus dinner for 2 in the specialty restaurant and a really nice bottle of expensive wine.

Is everyone always getting $300 obc?

I book with my Platinum Amex through my TA. For an AQ cabin on a 7 day sailing I'm getting a $100 obc. plus the specialty restaurant and a bottle of wine.

My Amex 2012 guide says with X you get a 2 category upgrade or up to $300 bc depending on ship and itinerary. I assumed I wasn't getting the full $300 because I wasn't in a suite and it was only a 7 day itinerary.

Is everyone else getting $300 for similar cabin category and itinerary?

According to the 2012 Amex guide you get these benefits for using your Platinum card plus you get double points if you book through Platinum Travel Service. So, you don't have to book with Amex to get the benefits other than the double points.

I book with my Platinum Amex through my TA. For an AQ cabin on a 7 day sailing I'm getting a $100 obc. plus the specialty restaurant and a bottle of wine.

My Amex 2012 guide says with X you get a 2 category upgrade or up to $300 bc depending on ship and itinerary. I assumed I wasn't getting the full $300 because I wasn't in a suite and it was only a 7 day itinerary.

According to the 2012 Amex guide you get these benefits for using your Platinum card plus you get double points if you book through Platinum Travel Service. So, you don't have to book with Amex to get the benefits other than the double points.

I gave up my AMEX platinum after three years, since all of their "offers" seemed to have hooks that ended up costing you more than another organization that didn't charge. like you mentioned, you can get the $300 OBC but you end up paying $500-1000 more than what you pay a TA or Celebrity for the same cruise

Same thing with their FREE companion business class tickets, you MUST buy one at the high rack rate from AMEX to get the second ticket, so buying a two discounted ones through Orbitz or Kayak was actually cheaper.

Ran into same problems with hotels, only got the upgrades if you payed the full rate, so after three years of that said it certainly wasn't worth the cost of the annual fee

Cruzmaven, I didn't get $300 OBC, only $100 because I booked CC. Also got the bottle of wine & specialty restaurant. Booked thru my online TA and was able to get a nice OBC thru them as well.

HOWEVER when there was a price drop and I switched to a GTY cabin, my experience was exactly the same as Lingber's. My TA told me that my AMEX benefits could not be applied with the GTY room. I did get an OBC from my TA though. I was told that the AMEX benefit rules had changed and Celebity no longer allowed combined benefits on certain types of promotions.

I gave up my AMEX platinum after three years, since all of their "offers" seemed to have hooks that ended up costing you more than another organization that didn't charge. like you mentioned, you can get the $300 OBC but you end up paying $500-1000 more than what you pay a TA or Celebrity for the same cruise

Same thing with their FREE companion business class tickets, you MUST buy one at the high rack rate from AMEX to get the second ticket, so buying a two discounted ones through Orbitz or Kayak was actually cheaper.

Ran into same problems with hotels, only got the upgrades if you payed the full rate, so after three years of that said it certainly wasn't worth the cost of the annual fee

So did I, Costco Amex card is free and it is CASH back ...

Hi Angie,

I received an invite to join Amex Platinum this week. In the "fine print" it stated you must book through their travel agency.

I do not think you will win this battle, unless you are able to cancel and rebook with the Amex TA. Even then, it might be sketchy, as they might say it's for "new bookings only", and you may not qualify. If you can cancel without a penalty... before you do, I'd call Amex and ask if cancelling and rebooking would be allowed.

I wish I could be of more assistance. Good Luck !

Writing from experience, many travel agents do not know that all they have to do is register with American Express so they can offer this to the client. The exceptions are that it cannot be a group booking and that you cannot use both your Amex and the agent's consortium benefits on the booking.

Do not call American Express because it is difficult to reach the right people. They will give you the sales department and they will tell you only they can offer the benefits. WRONG. Demand the travel agent get the benefits for your card. It can only be applied by a travel agent who has taken the time to register.

For 2012 bookings:

CELEBRITY CRUISES

Cruise Privileges Program (CPP) amenities: Celebrity

Platinum Card members & Centurion members receive:

Two-category upgrade or up to $300 per stateroom shipboard credit, depending on ship and category booked (upgrade depends on availability) - see chart below

Complimentary dinner for two in a specialty restaurant*

Bottle of champagne or wine**

Note:

- Sailings aboard Xpedition are not eligible for CPP benefits.

- An inside, ocean view, suite or veranda guarantee, including W, XA, X, XC, Y and Z categories, is a booking in a specific stateroom type but is not assigned an actual stateroom until closer to sailing. This type of booking is not eligible for CPP benefits as there is no actual stateroom assigned.

- Bookings from Canada and Puerto Rico travel agencies are not eligible for CPP benefits.

- CPP with Celebrity is open only to individual (FIT) bookings. Group bookings are not eligible.

*Specialty Dining Amenity will now be given as a voucher that the guest must present in the Specialty dining restaurant of their choice and is no longer an onboard credit towards the guest’s SeaPass Account.

**Champagne or wine will now be selected at the time of booking by the Travel Counselor and immediately added to the booking instead of being selected onboard. Therefore, please ask your client what they like (red or white wine or champagne).

NOTE: Both of these items will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom either the night of the embarkation or the next morning. Please note that they will not be in the staterooms as soon as they board. In addition, Celebrity will add a note card accompanying these items which will read “Compliments of AMEX Cruise Program & Celebrity Cruises”.

Booking Instructions:

Travel agency is responsible for making the reservation directly with Celebrity and for qualifying the Card member. Review Program Overview/Terms & Conditions before making reservation.

1. Call Celebrity reservations dedicated line for Cruise Privileges Program at 888-836-4918. Identify yourself and your agency name and location.

2. Agent makes reservation in the stateroom category desired. Obtain all booking details including confirmation number.

3. Please obtain a tracking number immediately by going to http://www.americanexpress.com/asdonline. Each agency has been given a registration code that will be needed to register the agents into the system for the first time. Once you have registered, the system will verify card eligibility. After you enter the itinerary, the system will generate a unique tracking number for your customer's itinerary. The tracking number cannot be duplicated or repeated.

If you need assistance obtaining your initial registration code, you may call the ASD support desk, at 800-428-0250, M-F, 9am-8pm EST, and they will assist you with the registration code and system navigation.

4. The tracking number for Centurion bookings must have a C at the end to indicate Centurion amenities if applicable. (This unique tracking number is assigned to one specific cruise transaction and cannot be duplicated or repeated. Assignment of tracking number indicates that the travel agency has submitted the required information, but does not imply approval or validation of the booking.)

5. Travel agency should contact Celebrity reservations again at 888-836-4918 within 48 hours and provides reservation agent with tracking number and booking code “MBZ5” to ensure CPP amenities are documented.

**This step must be done in order for Card member to receive Cruise Privileges amenities**

The Celebrity CPP credit/upgrade benefit depends on ship and category booked:

**Please click on the following document to see what CPP benefits apply to your booking as the CPP benefits on Celebrity are based on Ship/Category booked**:

Celebrity Ship Chart

Notes:

• Bookings that receive shipcoard credit offer can not receive upgrade offer, and vice versa.

• Bookings must originate in the categories noted above to receive two-category upgrade.

• Two-category upgrades are within category class, and based on availability.

Single Passenger Benefits for Celebrity Cruises:

Single passengers, when paying single passenger supplement, will be entitled to full Cruise Privileges amenities, except in the case of the $300 shipboard credit which will be prorated based on single supplement fare (i.e. Singles paying 150% of fare will receive $225 shipboard credit). Single passengers paying a double occupancy fare will receive the full $300 Cruise Privileges shipboard credit.

CPP Combinability for Celebrity Cruises:

CPP is combinable with nationally available tactical offers; discounted promotional fares; early booking discounts; past passenger programs/discounts (Captain's Club*); resident, regional and other discounts; cruise tour programs; state resident promotions.

CPP is NOT combinable with other American Express Card offers; Amex groups including American Express Mariner Club; other onboard credit offers or stateroom upgrade offers; military, travel, policeman, fireman, senior rates, travel agent and net rates.

*Captain's Club loyalty program

If any information given to cruise line (via ASD tracking) differs from the reservations/booking used for travel, the customer will not receive the amenities. All liabilities are the sole responsibility of the booking agency. All booking procedures must be followed to avoid errors and omission to the program.

If you book direct, it appears you are out of luck.

I book through a large discount/internet agency and work with one agent who always gets me the Amex Platinum benefits when eligible. I am on Connie to North Cape in a few weeks and, although so excited about the cruise, am a little bummed that I am not eligible for Amex Platinum benefits on this cruise because I used a Celebrity Passages which are not combinable. When you add in value of the specialty restaurant I am not getting, the Amex benefits would have approximately equaled the value of the Passages benefits. Amex Platinum is why I have sworn off purchasing Passages (on board bookings) for the future.

I can only speak from our many experiences over the years using our AmX Platinum card and receiving Platinum cruise privileges. You do not have to book through the AmX Platinum travel desk to be eligible for the perks. AmX literature says you must but the "hook" is you must **ONLY IF** you want to receive double rewards points for the cost of your cruise, a perk which is available ONLY if you book through the Platinum travel desk. Otherwise, all the other privileges are available whether you book directly with the cruise line or through a travel agent. Once you make your reservation, your travel agent must call AmX Platinum to receive a confirmation number which enables you to receive the appropriate perks.

As was explained to me by an AmX exec, the Platinum cruise privileges program is a joint venture between AmX and several cruise lines, with each sharing half the "cost" of the benefits offered. The cruise lines have the final say and can and do have the right to place restrictions on Platinum benefits, thus the perks are not available for all cruises or for all cabin categories on eligible cruises. Platinum privileges cannot be combined with any cruise line perks offered like OBC, cruise line loyalty program benefits, free specialty dinners, free gratuities, free air, special sales or special rates like group rates and in Celebrity's case, certain bookings like Passages, etc. The perks also cannot be combined with any cruise line benefits a travel agent is offering, however, they can be combined with amenities offered by a travel agent independent of those offered by the cruise line.

On several occasions, we found we were better off accepting cruise line perks over Platinum perks.

So ... we booked directly with X in the US, by phone, and used our platinum Amex to pay in full for two rooms on Silhouette, sailing July 5 from Venice (hello Lingber :D )

Following price drops, we have had a very satisfactory upgrade for one of our rooms and we're now in Concierge for both, so we're happy but ... I'm only just getting used to the idea of chasing upgrades etc. and I note the various advice about ringing X (or not)

At thus relatively late stage, is it worth a call to X in regards the OBC and the speciality dining?

So ... we booked directly with X in the US, by phone, and used our platinum Amex to pay in full for two rooms on Silhouette, sailing July 5 from Venice (hello Lingber :D )

Following price drops, we have had a very satisfactory upgrade for one of our rooms and we're now in Concierge for both, so we're happy but ... I'm only just getting used to the idea of chasing upgrades etc. and I note the various advice about ringing X (or not)

At thus relatively late stage, is it worth a call to X in regards the OBC and the speciality dining?

Astrocat, we really have to stop meeting like this! :p

We have always received the Amex benefit when using a TA, but I would definitely call X and ask to speak to their Amex desk. As long as you paid with your Platinum, I don't see why it should matter if you booked directly or through a TA. You will not qualify for your guarantee room but possibly the other, as long as you aren't already receiving OBC's from them. If you are, and the amount is less than the value of the $200 OBC, dinner for 2 and the bottle of wine, I would ask if they would apply some of the Amex benefits. It doesn't hurt to try. Good luck and let us know how you make out. (By the way.....I am very excited about my new font sizes and colors! LOL)

Is this for any Platinum American Express card? We have the Delta Platinum American Express Card...do we get the same benefits?

Affinity platinum cards such as airline or hotel chain AmX Platinum cards are not eligible.

Archived