Retractible Roof on Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island

svetas74

Interesting photo. I have never seen the retractable roof open on any of my Princess cruises. Even in the Panama Canal when it was hot hot hot outside.

When it's "hot hot hot outside" is exactly when you want it closed. We cruised the Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire in October one year & it was deadly hot & humid. We loved being at the covered pool because it was somewhat air conditioned there. The heat was just unbearable at the uncovered pool. It was so hot when we docked in Mazatlan that we decided to just stay on the ship & enjoy the cool covered pool area. Then, wouldn't you just know it, they decided to open the cover "to do some maintenance work on it." It quickly became unbearably hot there too. :rolleyes:

No, there are no pools with a roof on Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby.

Which is a mistake, as their itineraries include some cooler places during the summer (Northern Europe is one of them)

Depends. The outdoor pool on the Island was heated up to 31C the last day, which is nearly too warm for swimming.

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to thank caribill for posting the picture of the retractable roof open. Our last cruise was on the Sapphire...first time on a ship with enclosed pool. I studied the design while onboard and was certain it was designed to open, but had never seen or heard of them opening. Found this thread after a search.

Thanks caribill !

I just wanted to thank caribill for posting the picture of the retractable roof open. Our last cruise was on the Sapphire...first time on a ship with enclosed pool. I studied the design while onboard and was certain it was designed to open, but had never seen or heard of them opening. Found this thread after a search.

Thanks caribill !

You are welcome.

I have never seen the roofs open . A deck officer told me that they have instructions not to open the roofs at all.

To be fair, the deck plans don't actually "show" the roof, but you'd think the CSR's would know this basic information. :rolleyes:

All four have the retractable roof. You can tell from the deck plans by finding "the conservatory" (at least I think that's what the roof is called). We've been on three of those ships, and I don't remember about the Sapphire, as that was an Alaskan cruise and from about the second day on, the weather was in the 60s during the day. We were on the Island and the Golden for the Hawaiian cruises, and it was usually open on the Island -- after the first couple of days. On the Golden, I don't think it was ever open, but then we didn't have great weather coming and going (maybe it was open while in the Islands, but I don't remember). MUTS on the ships that have it is next to the open air pools.

Archived