Transportation from Le Havre to Honfleur

tuft

Hi All,

Has anyone ever taken public transportation from the port of Le Havre to Honfleur? If so, did you use a taxi or go by bus? Do you remember what the approximate cost was? Although only 14 miles separate the two, did it take forever to get there? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Peg

Hi All,

Has anyone ever taken public transportation from the port of Le Havre to Honfleur? If so, did you use a taxi or go by bus? Do you remember what the approximate cost was? Although only 14 miles separate the two, did it take forever to get there? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Peg

I did, last week. It's easy. From the port, walk into town. It's about 20-25 minutes to reach the train station. The path is clearly marked so you're unlikely to get lost, even if you don't have a street map of Le Havre. (Or take a taxi if you'd like; they're readily available.) The bus station adjoins the train station, at the back end closer to the tracks. Tell the person at the ticket counter where you'd like to go and he/she will give you the schedule and circle the times the for you. It was about 4 euros each way or maybe less. It takes about 20 minutes to get there. Nice trip as you drive over that spectacular bridge. The bus drops you off right in Honfleur. Enjoy your day there--it's a really wonderful and charming little town.

We took a taxi and shared it with another couple. Asked the cabbie to pick us up where they left us, but he said there would be a ton of taxi's to get back...and there was. Sorry, I forget how much it was, but I think it cost about 50 Euros roundtrip, quite competitive with the train for a 4some, and it gets you there and back efficienty. Could be wrong about the cost, but that was in the ballpark.

We Loved Honfleur...I must of taken a photo of every doorway. Great architecture and the little port with all the shops and restaurants around it is beautiful. Well worth it.

Den

I did, last week. It's easy. From the port, walk into town. It's about 20-25 minutes to reach the train station. The path is clearly marked so you're unlikely to get lost, even if you don't have a street map of Le Havre. (Or take a taxi if you'd like; they're readily available.) The bus station adjoins the train station, at the back end closer to the tracks. Tell the person at the ticket counter where you'd like to go and he/she will give you the schedule and circle the times the for you. It was about 4 euros each way or maybe less. It takes about 20 minutes to get there. Nice trip as you drive over that spectacular bridge. The bus drops you off right in Honfleur. Enjoy your day there--it's a really wonderful and charming little town.

Thanks, dln and Den. Your help is much appreciated! Honfleur sounds like a charming little town and well worth seeing. Are either one of you familiar with Etretat or Fecamp? If so, is it worth the trip? The Alabaster Coast sounds like it could be beautiful.

Thanks, again!

Peg

We've also used a taxi to Honfleur. It's one the most beautful, picturesque little towns I've ever visited. Loved it!

Thanks, Karynanne. Sounds magical!!

Can't recommend Honfleur enough. We had 5 nights there in 2010 and would go back in a heartbeat. Love Normandy. Enjoy

Thank you all so much! We are cruising 10/12 on the Reflection. Sounds like Honfleur will provide many wonderful memories (and pictures!!!)

Peg

Thank you all so much! We are cruising 10/12 on the Reflection. Sounds like Honfleur will provide many wonderful memories (and pictures!!!)

Peg

Peg, we're going on the Reflection, too, but not until her eastbound April TA. Will you write a review when you get back?

Re Etretat and Fecamp. The coastline is lovely and Fecamp is home to the Benedictine monestery and the famous liquor. You can reach both by bus. There are 5-6 trips a day and it takes about an hour. The bus fare is 2 euros. It's not really possible, however, to do the coast and do Honfleur because both are in different directions. You'll have to choose and personally I think that Honfleur is the winner, hands down.

We bought the 2-hour train tickets into Paris. But I think I'm now regretting it. While it sounds amazing (Paris, that is), I just fear we'll miss the train back or that 3.5 hours isnt enough to see everything in the city.

I might get a refund and look into visiting Honfleur. Looks like a train might be the best way to go?

We bought the 2-hour train tickets into Paris. But I think I'm now regretting it. While it sounds amazing (Paris, that is), I just fear we'll miss the train back or that 3.5 hours isnt enough to see everything in the city.

I might get a refund and look into visiting Honfleur. Looks like a train might be the best way to go?

Emily, there are no trains to Honfleur! Bus is the only way to go.

I'm stopping in Le Harve on 7th September on constellation & been looking into going there. Do celebrity do a trip there?. As I use a wheelchair are the buses suitable? Or would a taxi be better in my situation?. Dillie

I'm stopping in Le Harve on 7th September on constellation & been looking into going there. Do celebrity do a trip there?. As I use a wheelchair are the buses suitable? Or would a taxi be better in my situation?. Dillie

Dillie, I'd say take the taxi to the train/bus station in downtown Le Havre and then use one of their accessible buses. Here's the website: http://www.busverts.fr/308-Acceobus.html Basically what it says is that the service is available for those who need it and it costs no more than the regular bus. However, you must reserve it in advance, either by phone if your French is passable, or by e-mail. Good luck! Also, check your shore excursions on the Celebrity website when you get into the "my Celebrity" page that has your reservation listed. Then you could see if the ship is offering any trips to Honfleur.

Dillie, I'd say take the taxi to the train/bus station in downtown Le Havre and then use one of their accessible buses. Here's the website: http://www.busverts.fr/308-Acceobus.html Basically what it says is that the service is available for those who need it and it costs no more than the regular bus. However, you must reserve it in advance, either by phone if your French is passable, or by e-mail. Good luck! Also, check your shore excursions on the Celebrity website when you get into the "my Celebrity" page that has your reservation listed. Then you could see if the ship is offering any trips to Honfleur.

Thanks so much for that & looking into the accessable bus very kind of you. I will look into it looks a lovely place to visit.

Hi Dillie. We are sailing on the Reflection in October. Celebrity is offering a shore excursion to Honfleur on that voyage so perhaps they will on yours as well. Our's is listed as a 4 hr. trip requiring a moderate activity level. The price is listed as $64.75. I agree with you! With all the wonderful kudos being given to Honfleur, it's not to be missed!!

Peg

Hi Dillie. We are sailing on the Reflection in October. Celebrity is offering a shore excursion to Honfleur on that voyage so perhaps they will on yours as well. Our's is listed as a 4 hr. trip requiring a moderate activity level. The price is listed as $64.75. I agree with you! With all the wonderful kudos being given to Honfleur, it's not to be missed!!

Peg

Last time we were there, we rented a car from Budget or Avis, which is close to the port. Cost us 76 Euro + gas. If you have 4 people, you do the math. They didn't have a drop off box, so we had to be back by 6pm. I think National, the rental next door, did have a drop off box, so depending on when your ship sails? We sailed at 9pm, so wish we had the drop box. In 2001, we rented and did Etretat and Fecamp, along with Honfleur. The B&B tour was great in Fecamp as was lunch and tour of the beach in Etretat.

Caveat - I'm Europe savvy and have my own GPS with European maps, which help out a lot.

Peg, we're going on the Reflection, too, but not until her eastbound April TA. Will you write a review when you get back?

Re Etretat and Fecamp. The coastline is lovely and Fecamp is home to the Benedictine monestery and the famous liquor. You can reach both by bus. There are 5-6 trips a day and it takes about an hour. The bus fare is 2 euros. It's not really possible, however, to do the coast and do Honfleur because both are in different directions. You'll have to choose and personally I think that Honfleur is the winner, hands down.

Hi dln. Sorry, but I will be SO busy editing all the gorgeous pictures of Honfleur that I am going to take that I'll never have time to write a review of the beautiful Reflection!! Just joshing!!! I will be more than happy to write a review when I get back. I anticipate it will be a wonderful trip..

Thanks for your comments about the Alabaster Coast. We will be in port from 8:00am to 11:59pm (have to love it... not midnight.. 11:59. Port must charge for an additional day if you're still there at midnight!) Anyway, because we have so many hours we were thinking we could do both. Didn't realize until I looked at a legend of distances from Le Havre to different villages, however, of how long it could take to travel from one area to another. Plus, it seems like we can easily spend several hours enjoying the beauty and ambiance of Honfleur.

Hi dln. Sorry, but I will be SO busy editing all the gorgeous pictures of Honfleur that I am going to take that I'll never have time to write a review of the beautiful Reflection!! Just joshing!!! I will be more than happy to write a review when I get back. I anticipate it will be a wonderful trip..

Thanks for your comments about the Alabaster Coast. We will be in port from 8:00am to 11:59pm (have to love it... not midnight.. 11:59. Port must charge for an additional day if you're still there at midnight!) Anyway, because we have so many hours we were thinking we could do both. Didn't realize until I looked at a legend of distances from Le Havre to different villages, however, of how long it could take to travel from one area to another. Plus, it seems like we can easily spend several hours enjoying the beauty and ambiance of Honfleur.

Just did some google maps, and travel time from Le Havre to Fecamp, then to Etretat, then to Honfleur, then back to Le Havre takes about 2.5 driving hours. You'll have more than enough time to tour at your leisure without being led around by a tour guide.

Archived