HAL Recipe Request......

sail7seas

I know Joanie isn't feeling well at the moment so she probably is not reading the boards. Hope she feels better soon.

Does anyone have the recipe for the stir fried chicken HAL serves in the Taco Bar on the ships. I have plenty of stir fried chicken recipes but I hope to get that one as the blend of spices is exactly to my taste.

Would really appreciate if anyone has it and is willing to share.

Thanks. :)

I know Joanie isn't feeling well at the moment so she probably is not reading the boards. Hope she feels better soon.

Does anyone have the recipe for the stir fried chicken HAL serves in the Taco Bar on the ships. I have plenty of stir fried chicken recipes but I hope to get that one as the blend of spices is exactly to my taste.

Would really appreciate if anyone has it and is willing to share.

Thanks. :)

There is one for Stir-Fried Chicken with Peanuts in Chef Rudi's cookbook. don't know if that is the one you need or not. Has lots of veggies in it.

Thanks, but no, that isn't the one.

I really enjoy that plain, sauteed chicken they set out with the tacos.

Hmmm! Never seen chicken of any sort at the Taco Bar, just the revolting very fatty ground beef. Will have to look for it on upcoming cruise.:)

It isn't whole breasts, it is chicken cut in strips and sauteed/stir fried. I think it's delicious. :)

I will ask my DH. He goes to the Hamburger Bar and thus the "salad bar/taco bar" on a daily basis when on HAL ships. If he tried it he would know the ingredients.

There hasn't been a lot of good luck from that list.

Seems the ones I have in interest in are either just about unusable or not there.

Recipes for 120 people just don't work well when divided down to serve 4 or 6. IMO

The stir fried chicken strips that sail is talking about isn't listed in Joanie's recipes.

He had mentioned that Joanie was ill and not reading the boards. I had the link to her recipe site, so that is why I posted it.

I understand.

But I checked each recipe as we have eaten all of them and I knew that those were not the one for what Sail wants.

OK, that makes sense. I thought you were criticizing that I had posted the link, and I wanted to clarify why I posted it. The typed word is difficult at times to know the tone. Since we haven't cruised on HAL before, I had no idea whether the recipe was there or not, but knew of the site.

You are welcome. I just wish the recipe had been there for you. I did a google search too, but no luck. Crossing my fingers you will find the answer.

I think I'll have to ask an HAL Chef. :)

Judy, I stopped in to check my emails and the boards andf saw this thread.

I have several Recipes for HAL's Stir Fried Chicken (11 in total), but need to know some of the main ingredients.

I will look for it once I know some of the ingredients, if you could remember.

Joanie

The main ingredient is white meat chicken.

If I knew the other ingredients, I wouldn't need the recipe. :)

There are no peppers or onions or mushrooms unless they are so shredded, cooked down they are not recognizable.

It is white meat chicken in a brownish color very thin sauce and the seasonings are what I need to discover. There's a touch of heat to it but rather mild. I don't think it is soy sauce but there might be some.

Thank you for trying, Joanie.

The main ingredient is white meat chicken.

If I knew the other ingredients, I wouldn't need the recipe. :)

There are no peppers or onions or mushrooms unless they are so shredded, cooked down they are not recognizable.

It is white meat chicken in a brownish color very thin sauce and the seasonings are what I need to discover. There's a touch of heat to it but rather mild. I don't think it is soy sauce but there might be some.

Thank you for trying, Joanie.

OK, Can this be it? It has Jalapeno in it, which would give it heat...

HOLLAND AMERICA

Pinnacle Grill

MENU ITEM: Thai Chicken with Basil

Ingredients 1 portion Product Specs

Beef, Filet or Chicken , then sliced in thin strips 1 pound

Garlic Cloves, minced 1 each

Basil ,Salt 1 teaspoon

Fresh Ground Pepper ½ teaspoon

Chilies, Thai Hot or Jalapeno, minced 2 each

Red Pepper, sliced very thin 1 each

Fish Sauce or Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons

Brown Sugar 2 teaspoons

Oysters Sauce (opt) 1 tablespoon

Oil 1/3 cup

FOR SERVICE:

Mix the Chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic and set aside in a bowl to marinate briefly.

Mix the fish sauce, brown sugar, and the oyster sauce (If you are using it) together in a small bowl to form a sauce.

Have all your ingredients ready and close by. Heat the oil on high in a wok or deep skillet. Add the chili pepper and red pepper and stir-fry rapidly for about 30 seconds.

Add the beef and stir-fry rapidly another 1-2 minutes until the beef is just cooked through.

Turn the heat to low and pour in sauce ingredients. Toss to cover the beef. Remove from heat and serve.

VARIATION:.

· Toss in a handful of chopped Basil at eh end if you like.

· Add some baby corn after the beef is cooked and before you add the sauce if you like.

If this is not it, I will try tomorrow to look through the other 10 Stir Fry Chicken recipes and see if any fit your memories.

Back to bed for me.

BTW, last Friday morning fellow CC Member LVSue visited with me for a couple of hours (before I went to the Dr) and yesterday I received an email from her that she has shingles. So it appears there may be an out break of Chicken Pox going the rounds of at least the western part of the US. As a warning to all, please get vaccinated!! I know I am going to get the Shingles vaccine as soon as the dr tells me I can come out of quarantine!!

Joanie

Thank you for trying, Joanie. I know you don't feel well and I appreciate your efforts but that is not the recipe. It isn't a Pinnacle Grill recipe but one they use for the Taco Bar.

Whowza about the chicken pox and shingles. I'm grateful to my PCP who had me get the shingle vaccine some months ago. I had dragged my feet about getting it.

You're smart to get it if your doctor says it is appropriate for you to do so.

Feel better soon. :)

Joanie, feel better soon. Both Hal and I have had Shingles (years apart from each other) .. .not fun and very painful. Our medical insurance will not cover the vaccine UNLESS the person is at least 60 years old. We recently checked on it.

Merck is charging about $150 for the one-shot vaccine. Doctors and hospitals charge a mark-up, so the total bill can come close to $300. In comparison, the standard flu vaccine costs between $11 and $15, and the pneumococcal vaccine, about $25. Traditionally, vaccines are one of the best health bargains out there — a low up-front cost that pays for itself many times over in averted sickness and early death. But vaccine costs are going up, so the economics aren’t so clear-cut anymore.

Spotty insurance coverage. Zostavax is approved for people 60 and older, so Medicare coverage is a major issue. It’s up to each individual Part D prescription plan to decide whether the shingles vaccine should be on its formulary.

Questionable value for people who have had shingles. If you’ve had a bona fide case of shingles, the chances of getting another one are extremely low. For that reason, Kaiser Permanente, the California health plan, decided not to offer the vaccine to people who have had shingles.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/The-shingles-vaccine.shtml

(more info on the link).

Archived