Upgrade - Agent or Princess

stromer

I have read most of the threads regarding upgrades, and still have one question. Granted, it is mostly luck of the draw and is difficult to predict, but do travel agents have any influence if a person gets an upgrade? I just booked the Island Princess and there are currently many unsold cabins. Can a travel agent encourage Princess to give one of their clients an upgrade where another travel agent would not have had the ability to do this? This might be impossible to answer unless you were a travel agent that actually has done this. Thanks, Rick

Short answer from my TA - generally no. An agent who does a LOT of Princess business (10 cruises a DAY) might have some connections in special circumstances to request a manual override.

The upgrades are handled by the revenue management system in 99+ percent of cases, and the formula used is so confidential that even the consultants who designed the rest of the system don't get to see it.

I have read most of the threads regarding upgrades, and still have one question. Granted, it is mostly luck of the draw and is difficult to predict, but do travel agents have any influence if a person gets an upgrade? I just booked the Island Princess and there are currently many unsold cabins. Can a travel agent encourage Princess to give one of their clients an upgrade where another travel agent would not have had the ability to do this? This might be impossible to answer unless you were a travel agent that actually has done this. Thanks, Rick

We have been upgraded twice from a balcony to a mini. One time our TA called and said she "got us an upgrade". She didn't call about the other one, nor did she call to explain why she ded not get us an upgrade on all the other cruises.

It's usually the computer although in certain circumstances, a good TA can make a difference. Unless a TA does a LOT of Princess bookings (20+/day or more) and tells you "they" got you an upgrade, I'd be careful about using that TA. What can happen is that the fare might be reduced and the TA will get you the upgrade without telling you that you could have had your cabin for a lower price. To me, that's not being honest since you should have the choice but some TAs do that to make it appear they have influence or have done something special for you.

We have been upgraded twice from a balcony to a mini. One time our TA called and said she "got us an upgrade". She didn't call about the other one, nor did she call to explain why she ded not get us an upgrade on all the other cruises.

I wonder in some cases, whether it's a case of the TA watching the prices, and if a minisuite drops in price equal to what the client is paying on their current balcony cabin, the TA calls the client and says "I got you an upgrade". So maybe it's not really the TA having an "in" with the upgrade fairy - but probably more of a case of a price drop or a special promo code. Makes the TA look good.;)

Or Princess just notified the TA of a random upgrade and they took credit for it...

I wonder in some cases, whether it's a case of the TA watching the prices, and if a minisuite drops in price equal to what the client is paying on their current balcony cabin, the TA calls the client and says "I got you an upgrade". So maybe it's not really the TA having an "in" with the upgrade fairy - but probably more of a case of a price drop or a special promo code. Makes the TA look good.;)

Archived