Requesting an item not on the menu

One time I requested Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pate, brandy and a fried egg on top. I was told they had just run out.

I have mentioned to our server that I love creme brulee...and lo and behold, she brought it to me every night...without asking...I don't see the harm in asking...all they can say is no...

One time I requested Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pate, brandy and a fried egg on top. I was told they had just run out.

I got the last one, sorry! :D

Has any one asked for something that was not on the menu in the main dining room? I was wondering if I asked the night before to have a cob salad would they make it for me?

A tablemate was sea sick the night they did the snails for a appetizer and he asked for them the next night and was told no, they were on the menu the night before, they would not make them for him.

We took the galley tour the last time we were on the Conquest and were told that if it an item that they have on their menu you can request it on the first night in the dining room and they will do their best to get it for you during the course of your cruise.

Carnival waiters will hardly remove veggie items you dont want with your entree to be honest. I have asked, and they just tell me the food is preplated, just push it aside and dont eat it. Some times I would rather just have a baked potato.

I have mentioned to our server that I love creme brulee...and lo and behold, she brought it to me every night...without asking...I don't see the harm in asking...all they can say is no...

Me too! On the first night of my first cruise, the waiter overheard me tell our table mates how much I enjoyed the creme brûlée. Every night after that, even though it wasn't on the menu, he brought me one for dessert. I was in heaven! :)

We have asked for a simple wedge of iceberg for the salad course instead of the fancy salads. They were able to get it for us. We were the envy of the table. The next night we all had wedges of iceberg. We did ask the night before.

On Princess, they tell you if you like something ask a day in advance and they will try to get it made for you. I had several Fettuccini Alfredos in the Parmesan bowl

328.jpg

I think if they know that you want something all week it will be held for you. And they probably keep the onion soup stock-which is beef stock on hand at all times. I have read that if you ask for Indian the first night, they will tempt you all week with Indian food. I can't think that if I ask for a lobster every night they will hold out a lobster for me every night.:D That would be sweet!:p

No harm in asking you never know but because they are serving up to 3000 people they cannot always accomodate you - it would be a nightmare if they did this for even 1/4 or the cruisers. Just a really dumb question though - why would you want to do this unless it is for health or allergy reasons which it totally understandable and you would be flag for this anyway if you registered with them ahead of time.

On the Dream last fall my son commented that the lobster bisque soup was no longer available. It was a favorite of his form past cruises. Sure enough the next night at dinner all of us had a bowl of lobster bisque soup made just for us ( or so we were told)

On the Dream last fall my son commented that the lobster bisque soup was no longer available. It was a favorite of his form past cruises. Sure enough the next night at dinner all of us had a bowl of lobster bisque soup made just for us ( or so we were told)

They actually serve the lobster bisque in the Steakhouse. which is where they probably got it from.

Has any one asked for something that was not on the menu in the main dining room? I was wondering if I asked the night before to have a cob salad would they make it for me?

That would probably be arranged for you if you asked one night at dinner but then waited until the next night to receive because then that way it would be ready for you

I have a food allergy issue. All I did was ask to see the next night's dinner menu. They made note of my name, etc and the special request. We had anytime dining and all I had to do was say that I had a special request.

We have had no problems getting salads that were not on regular menu.

I remember a few years ago on Princess we seen a table get a special request French Onion soup (It had been on menu previously). We asked about it and the next night we had it.

just answering the question, not looking to get criticized...

On the Grand Princess, we had a family reunion..12 of us...a very nice tip to the Maitre 'D and we received a very large plate of Tempura Shrimp one evening. We loooove Tempura Shrimp.

On many cruise lines we ask for whole black olives, carrot sticks, dip, and cubed cheeses to be on the table to eat with our bread before ordering dinner. Even Carnival has met this request each time.

I am ONLY SUGGESTING...but usually a generous tip at the time of the request helps to MAYBE get a special request.

I work in the food service industry, we have a restaurant, I guess I just know that servers will usually be willing to go over and above when a show of gratitude is made at the time of the request.

All too often people ask for special service, but then not show any special gratatitude in the form of what most servers appreciate...CASH.

After reading on these boards so many complaints about warm or even cold food, on our recent Easter cruise, I slipped our waitress a nice cash tip along with the request our food be Hot!!! She responded " Hot, like Me?"....and every dish, every meal was delivered Hot!!!

I kn ow, maybe you are thinking "why should I tip for hot food...that is what I expect!"

I am only saying, we read about how difficult our waitstaffs jobs have become, and delivering hot food has become less likely with all the duties they have...BUT..showing a little gratitude ( read: gratuity)..has resulted in my meals being hot.

I have seen a cobb salad in the steakhouse but not sure what you might get in the MDR. It doesn't hurt to ask.

OTOH, I have been served lobster thermidor in the MDR on more than one Carnival cruise. Usually the loonger ones and not sure if they still do or not.

IMG_0046.JPG

I have seen a cobb salad in the steakhouse but not sure what you might get in the MDR. It doesn't hurt to ask.

OTOH, I have been served lobster thermidor in the MDR on more than one Carnival cruise. Usually the loonger ones and not sure if they still do or not.

IMG_0046.JPG

Looks good

We've ordered salads not on the menu before. On my first cruise, another couple at our table (who I've cruised w ever since meeting them in that first cruise, btw!) commented that honestly they were "just country" and would love a "plain" salad. Meaning iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese w some yummy ranch. And the waiter brought it to them! The next night we all ordered one and after that he automatically brought them for us. I know that's nothing special but it's a huge deal to me as its something I love. We do also tip extra for this as we know it creates a little extra work!

Carnival waiters will hardly remove veggie items you dont want with your entree to be honest. I have asked, and they just tell me the food is preplated, just push it aside and dont eat it. Some times I would rather just have a baked potato.

I have never had a waiter tell me to push it to the side-my mother-in-law is VERY fussy and they remove things from the plates for her on a daily basis. My husband is high maintenance when it comes to food and never denied a reasonable request. Not sure why for you.

Archived