Victoria BC - really what is there to do in such a limited time

txtwinmom

I have a question too about Victoria ... is there anything in the building at the dock besides customs? Are there shops/vendors? Just curious.

Our first trip we docked in the downtown area harbor and had the whole day to explore (loved it). 2nd trip arrived late (7pm and had to be back on board at 11 pm) so we didn't get off the ship. I grew up in WA, so have been to Victoria many times. It is always beautiful (even the gardens at dark).

Unless you were on a small vessel you would have docked on both occasions at the Ogden Point cruise terminal which is in the Outer Harbour...the Inner Harbour which is downtown couldn't handle a 100,000 ton cruise ship.

The building you are referring to has a news shop that carries a limited number of souvenirs. You would be better off to take the shuttle to across the street from the Empress, turn left and take a walk down Government St. .... within 3 to 4 blocks you will have looked after your shopping.

Unless you were on a small vessel you would have docked on both occasions at the Ogden Point cruise terminal which is in the Outer Harbour...the Inner Harbour which is downtown couldn't handle a 100,000 ton cruise ship.

The building you are referring to has a news shop that carries a limited number of souvenirs. You would be better off to take the shuttle to across the street from the Empress, turn left and take a walk down Government St. .... within 3 to 4 blocks you will have looked after your shopping.

Our first time to Alaska was in 1986 on the original Pacific Princess. I thought we docked in the inner harbor HOWEVER I have been to Victoria numerous times as a kid on the Princess Margarite from Seattle which was a converted cruise ship that made day trips back and forth. So I may have confused the two. I thought we got off the Pacific Princess and were right there.

We aren't sure if we will go into town this time (depends on what time we actually dock etc.), so was wondering if there was anything at the building at the dock. I appreciate the info. Thank you.

MilliesMom I remember the Princess Marguerite, & had a few trips from Seattle to Victoria on this sweet ship as well. I wish this was still an option because with my motion sickness there is no way I could do the Clipper.

Outside the area where we docked when I took the HAL cruise, there was a souvenir shop. I did some more shopping there, but I guess this isn't the area you were talking about.

When we docked, there appeared to be very little at the pier area, except a large parking lot for busses.

I'm sorry, but $9.00 for an "all day pass" for 5 hours is just to go into town is a ripoff in my opinion, when there really is no other way to get into town. The same thing in Juneau, we were docked at the AJ dock and had to pay $3.00 a person for an "all day pass" to get to where the other ships docked.

Our first time to Alaska was in 1986 on the original Pacific Princess. I thought we docked in the inner harbor HOWEVER I have been to Victoria numerous times as a kid on the Princess Margarite from Seattle which was a converted cruise ship that made day trips back and forth. So I may have confused the two. I thought we got off the Pacific Princess and were right there.

We aren't sure if we will go into town this time (depends on what time we actually dock etc.), so was wondering if there was anything at the building at the dock. I appreciate the info. Thank you.

I don't know about the Pacific Princess but yes the Princess Marguerite and indeed the Black Ball ferry MV Coho docked and the Coho still docks in the inner harbour. The ships were/are 5,900 tons and 5,400 tons respectively. The Maggie was built as a car/passenger ferry for Canadian Pacific Steamships to run between Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle and I think any of us who are much over 50 have fond memories of her. Here sister ship the Princess Patricia was leased to Princess Cruise Lines during the winter and was used on the MEXRIV itinerary.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=7478

I don't know about the Pacific Princess but yes the Princess Marguerite and indeed the Black Ball ferry MV Coho docked and the Coho still docks in the inner harbour. The ships were/are 5,900 tons and 5,400 tons respectively. The Maggie was built as a car/passenger ferry for Canadian Pacific Steamships to run between Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle and I think any of us who are much over 50 have fond memories of her. Here sister ship the Princess Patricia was leased to Princess Cruise Lines during the winter and was used on the MEXRIV itinerary.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=7478

What a interesting history. We went to Victoria from Seattle many times on the ship. My mom's friend always got a stateroom for the trip (4 hours) and it was so tiny.

I'm disappointed that most cruises do not spend a full day in Victoria. It is such a wonderful port with such beauty.

Archived