Do staff keep 100% of prepaid gratuities?

Green Apple

Cash Tips ONLY have to be shared on HAL ships IF YOU REMOVE the auto-service charge. Then, anyone you give cash to has to pool their cash tips. So, if you leave the auto-service charge in place, any tips you give to various service people can go 100% to them. This is from the Front Office staff on the Prinsendam and Eurodam where we asked specifically about that. Also, we were able to change our auto-service charge on the P'dam to include only Lido staff since we never ate in the MDR. However, on the Statendam we were informed that the MDR and Lido share in the "food service" service part of the charge.

Would someone tell me why it is any of our business how stewards are paid?

Our income is not their business and their income is not our business IMO

Why such constant fascination and inquiry into what is their private business?

Do you ask how a restaurant distributes a tip you may leave, do you ask at a hotel, a hair salon.......

Why is it any of our business? :confused:

How tips are distributed is information that I need in order to make an informed decision as to whether to tip an individual in cash or not. I'm talking about cash, seperate and in addition to, the pre-paid tips/hotel charge. I want some assurance that a cash reward for outstanding service goes to the person I chose to give it to, not thrown into a pot to be split among people I didn't intend it to go to.

So, it isn't about knowing the crew's business, income, personal finances, or family situation. I only need to know the right person is getting the money.

How tips are distributed is information that I need in order to make an informed decision as to whether to tip an individual in cash or not. I'm talking about cash, seperate and in addition to, the pre-paid tips/hotel charge. I want some assurance that a cash reward for outstanding service goes to the person I chose to give it to, not thrown into a pot to be split among people I didn't intend it to go to.

So, it isn't about knowing the crew's business, income, personal finances, or family situation. I only need to know the right person is getting the money.

Our head waiter who has worked on HAL ships for over 30 years says he is paid on salary and never sees any of the "Hotel Charges" so still not sure because we keep hearing different things. We always leave the Hotel Charges and give extra cash. We had this waiter for three weeks (both in the MDR and he made my breakfast most mornings in the Lido). I asked because I wanted to know if we gave him extra if he could keep it or had to put it in a pot to share (We gave him more than his assistant or the wine steward who mostly brought our colas each night).

In the past we have seen cash tips thrown in a drawer in the MDR so assume it was being pulled/shared.

Our waiter said, "I keep whatever is given to me. I don't care what they tell me" (This indicates that HAL wants any additional tips pulled, but not all crew do this).

Edited by Jade13

We do leave the Hotel Service Charge in place.

That way any crew member that we wish to give extra tip money to at the end of the cruise -- we can -- and we know that he/she does not have to put it into a pool. It is theirs to keep.

Our head waiter who has worked on HAL ships for over 30 years says he is paid on salary and never sees any of the "Hotel Charges" so still not sure because we keep hearing different things. We always leave the Hotel Charges and give extra cash. We had this waiter for three weeks (both in the MDR and he made my breakfast most mornings in the Lido). I asked because I wanted to know if we gave him extra if he could keep it or had to put it in a pot to share (We gave him more than his assistant or the wine steward who mostly brought our colas each night).

In the past we have seen cash tips thrown in a drawer in the MDR so assume it was being pulled/shared.

Our waiter said, "I keep whatever is given to me. I don't care what they tell me" (This indicates that HAL wants any additional tips pulled, but not all crew do this).

Maybe the cash tip was thrown in the drawer because the passenger giving the tip was on the list of those who had removed the hotel service charge. It is mandatory to share in that instance.

Maybe the cash tip was thrown in the drawer because the passenger giving the tip was on the list of those who had removed the hotel service charge. It is mandatory to share in that instance.

No, we always leave out hotel charges and never ever have pulled them. We saw the money tossed in a drawer. This was at least a year ago.

I asked our server a few weeks ago if they were required to pull tips if someone pulled the hotel charges (curious because I saw that posted here). He stated he doesn't care what they tell him he keeps whatever he is given. And, this came up only after they started talking about the changes and the fact that HAL was cutting a lot of staff (50% per them but I know that had to be exaggerated).

Edited by Jade13

Our income is not their business and their income is not our business IMO

Why such constant fascination and inquiry into what is their private business?

Do you ask how a restaurant distributes a tip you may leave, do you ask at a hotel, a hair salon.......

Why is it any of our business? :confused:

In the 25 years that I worked as a Payroll Manager - one of the primary guidelines that was emphasized by employers was that "no one was to ask/or discuss with other employees (or anyone outside of the company except to conduct personal business) what they received in salary or gratuties. Should the employee be found to have violated this guideline, they can and will be dismissed for violation of company rules."

Therefore, the passenger who asked the MDR employee what he earned, can be putting that employee at risk of losing his position.

All I can say, is that what ever the serving staff, cabin stewards or laundry personnel are paid, they earn and deserve every penny of it and more - AND - it is none of our business. As for the gratuities that the receive at the end of the cruise, HAL pays out 100% of the amount charged to your final bill to the employees, period.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

Smile - it will always confuse an approaching frown :)

Edited by Okie1946

No, we always leave out hotel charges and never ever have pulled them. We saw the money tossed in a drawer. This was at least a year ago.

I asked our server a few weeks ago if they were required to pull tips if someone pulled the hotel charges (curious because I saw that posted here). He stated he doesn't care what they tell him he keeps whatever he is given. And, this came up only after they started talking about the changes and the fact that HAL was cutting a lot of staff (50% per them but I know that had to be exaggerated).

I did not realise you were talking about your own tips being thrown in a drawer. I thought it was just something you observed being done with tips from someone else.

I know this is going to 'open a can of worms' but coming from a relatively non tipping culture, I am finding this whole thread- especially the Hotel service charge that HAL automatically adds to the account somewhat frustrating.

Why should we as passengers pay part of the wages for the crew ?

Surely tipping should be at the passenger's discretion for a service over and above what is reasonably expected and included in the price.

I originally booked with HAL as I was under the impression that service charges were included ! We will probably be 'black listed' on our cruise as I know my DH intends to remove our HSC, however, I fully intend to tip as and when for over and above service.

I just spoke to our very good friend who is currently a comptroller on board a HAL ship. I also spoke to a close friend who is employed as a cabin steward.

According to both of them HAL does indeed turn over 100% of the Hotel Service Charge to the employees. If a passenger deletes the HSC any tips given to an individual must be turned into a pool or suffer sever consequences if found out. If a passenger pays the HSC then any tips given to any idividuals are theirs to keep to themselves.

HAL keeps a list of those who opt out of paying the HSC and circulates it to the department heads so they are able to tell their empolyees whose tips they must turn in.

Straight from the horses mouth folks.

Even if there was no Hotel Service Charge the passengers would still be paying the wages or the crew. Where else do you think the money comes from to pay them? Revenue. ;)

Even if there was no Hotel Service Charge the passengers would still be paying the wages or the crew. Where else do you think the money comes from to pay them? Revenue. ;)

I understand what you are saying but, we ARE paying their wages already, so why do you need to pay more via the HSC ? ...Thats my point.

Surely they should price the cruise so the staff get a fair wage and do not have to rely on the passengers to supplement it.

We, in the States and Canada, are accustomed to tipping. It is a part of our way of life and we all choose how much and when to tip. It will always be the guest/customer who pays the salaries of the staff. It will either be built into the price or added on 'extra'.

As long as cruise ship employees are not covered by U.S. labor laws such as wage, hours, etc.. some of us will make it our business...With the automatic deduction of the hotel service charge ( gratuities) there is a concern if the employees are being treated fairly...We may never know...Obviously there are some posters who really don't want to know.

We will pay the increased sum one way or another.

They would increase the cost of the cruise or cut out something else equal to the additional staffing costs or

We will pay automatic service charge/tips.

It is a for profit company. They are in business to make money and they make their money from us cruisers.

I know this is going to 'open a can of worms' but coming from a relatively non tipping culture, I am finding this whole thread- especially the Hotel service charge that HAL automatically adds to the account somewhat frustrating.

Surely tipping should be at the passenger's discretion for a service over and above what is reasonably expected and included in the price.

I originally booked with HAL as I was under the impression that service charges were included ! We will probably be 'black listed' on our cruise as I know my DH intends to remove our HSC, however, I fully intend to tip as and when for over and above service.

I believe some TA's include the hotel charges, but I know this happens more on Celebrity where they call them "Pre-paid tips" and include the option. It is nice and makes it more like both Azamara and the luxury lines (like SilverSea) where they are included. We then tip whom we wish extra at the end of the cruise.

HAL does not want you to pull the tips/"Hotel Charges", which is why they are included in your mariner extra points ($300.00 spent equals 1 extra point per cabin -pretty clever).

Do you pull yur "Hotel charges" when you stay at a hotel?

Edited by Jade13

As long as cruise ship employees are not covered by U.S. labor laws such as wage, hours, etc.. some of us will make it our business...With the automatic deduction of the hotel service charge ( gratuities) there is a concern if the employees are being treated fairly...We may never know...Obviously there are some posters who really don't want to know.

Were these ships subject to U.S. labor laws, the price of the cruise would be out of the reach of a great many who now cruise. It would go back to the days of cruising was for the wealthy only. There would be no such thing as these sometimes ridiculously low price cruises. When I read $449 for a week cruise......... ?? :eek:

There's a very good reason the ships (with a scant exception) are all registered out of the U.S.

Edited by sail7seas

I just spoke to our very good friend who is currently a comptroller on board a HAL ship. I also spoke to a close friend who is employed as a cabin steward.

According to both of them HAL does indeed turn over 100% of the Hotel Service Charge to the employees. If a passenger deletes the HSC any tips given to an individual must be turned into a pool or suffer sever consequences if found out. If a passenger pays the HSC then any tips given to any idividuals are theirs to keep to themselves.

HAL keeps a list of those who opt out of paying the HSC and circulates it to the department heads so they are able to tell their empolyees whose tips they must turn in.

Straight from the horses mouth folks.

That has been our understanding.

I wonder if HAL estimates the amount and includes it in the salaries which would be a reason our head waiter said he has never gotten anything extra but his salary (for over 30 years). It only came up as he was complaining about the cutbacks on staff and I wanted to know if he could keep what we gave him.

He stated he keeps everything and doesn't care what HAL tells him to do (regarding pulling tips).

"Do you pull your "Hotel charges" when you stay at a hotel? "

In UK the price you see is the price you pay for hotels....the price always includes VAT(Value added tax) which goes to the government but not service charge... this is left to the discretion of the guest.

I think you'll find that the Japanese, the Aussies and the N.Zealanders are on a par with the Bristish regarding tipping.

Jade, We certainly have never paid anything like that but there was a thread here yesterday where the per diem was something like $57. What kind of cruise can we expect when they are giving some cabins at those rates?

I understand what you are saying but, we ARE paying their wages already, so why do you need to pay more via the HSC ? ...Thats my point.

Surely they should price the cruise so the staff get a fair wage and do not have to rely on the passengers to supplement it.

Currently the cruise fare pays part of the wages and the HSC pays another part. It seems to be how it works in the industry.

If the abolished the HSC then fares will have to be increased to pay the same wages, so passengers will still be paying for the wages - just in a different way.