Maxi-Dress Where do you wear them?

Hi ducklite !

I just ordered 2 "statement necklaces" today ! 1 gold ,1 silver !

The Deep Vee necks just call out something :-)

I wonder how many Maxi Dresses this Thread will sell LOL !

Before I started reading these posts, I was just taking 2 Maxi's on my Cruise NOW

I am taking 4 and looking for another casual one... Gasp !

Perhaps I need to stay off this Thread OR get out another suitcase :-)

Nurseratchett- I got a few of mine from Gordmans. I dont know if you have those in your area or not, but it's an awesome store. I do have ones from WalMart too, those are the extra ones I bought when broke my elbow and discovered I couldnt wear anything else. A couple have started fuzzing up, havent noticed any fading just yet, but I wash all my clothes inside out anyway so maybe that is why. I liked the price (since Im outta work due to my elbow:mad:) and I did find colors that I really liked. Only problem I have is they are all the same size yet some are too big. I have to safty pin the straps in the back or some hang down too low. Then again, like I said, my hips have the curves, not the bust, so maybe it's not the dresses.....

Hi Ladies,

Just to add my 2 cents worth..I love Maxi dresses. I have a nice shape but am not so fond of my legs due to some varicose veins so these dresses are another feminine option. I've found some at Old Navy, Target and I have one from Talbots that I always get complimented on. I think they are super comfortable and can be dressed up or not. There are so many styles to choose from..I saw some really nice ones at Marshalls also...Happy Shopping!;)

I wear them all the time. I wear them to work, shopping, lounging around, whatever. We live near Louisville, Ky and I've worn them to events on the Riverfront, Derby festival, concert in the park kind of stuff. If they are low cut or strappy, I can pop a shrug or 'sweater' or such over them and off I go. They are suprisingly cooler than other outfits you could choose to wear. Most are a lightweight jersy/t-shirt like material, but I have some that are more dressy/floaty material and 'sheer' in layers.

While cruising I wore a 'dressier' one for formal night on the Radiance...then last year wore a solid black one from Old Navy, just dressed it up with a shear/sequined shawl over top... and they pack so well, no iron or steamer needed!

Well I am just home from a Big Shopping trip !

I swear everyone in AZ is reading our Thread because the Maxi's are wiped out !

As I have been saying I just want 1 more for around the pool in a Cotton material. Nada,Nope Nothing left on the racks :-( I Checked Ross , All the discount stores ,everything that is left are the Flimsy,clingy stuff and that would not be good for my Body type ;-( However I did find a very nice Black Cotton long skirt (15 bucks) at Wal Mart with a bit of lace trim on the bottom I think I can wear that over my Black bathing suit and not look like I am dressed for a Noreaster LOL.

There are still a few ladies out there that cling to the idea that If/when they wear a Maxi Dress,it makes them feel like they are in their nightgown ! Often Men don't get it either BUT that's Ok because we Maxi Girl's get it and that's what counts :-)

Bugs&Sprout I hope your elbow is improving every day ! We don't have Gordmans here in AZ or on the West Coast since I have never heard for them .

I Love all the places you have worn your Maxi's Sunbeach :-)

I also love that we all feel so strongly about comfort as well as fashion and not having worry about veins showing is yet another bonus :-) Keep those Fashon ideas coming :-)

Ok Who is leaving on a cruise soon ? We leave in 35 days :-) Yipee !!

Another good place to find them, believe it or not, is the Goodwill. I see them there alot (just not in my size:rolleyes:) and most are still in really good shape. Since Goodwill has a contract with Target they get all the irregulars and are usually under $10 with tags still on. I even found 1 of my formals I wore on the last cruise there. Just had it dry cleaned and was good to go.

I never knew that..I'll have to check it out!

Another good place to find them, believe it or not, is the Goodwill. I see them there alot (just not in my size:rolleyes:) and most are still in really good shape. Since Goodwill has a contract with Target they get all the irregulars and are usually under $10 with tags still on. I even found 1 of my formals I wore on the last cruise there. Just had it dry cleaned and was good to go.

Thanks to this thread, I just went shopping for my first ever maxi dress!! And I didn't even have to leave my computer:D.

I looked at eBay and found a seller, in Thailand of course:p, that makes super cute maxi's. I love the embellishments. There are several that I contemplated, but settled on this one. If I really like it, I may go back and buy another. It will be a few weeks until it arrives, but I am anxious to get it!

It will be going on my Explorer cruise next year.

DSC_0085.jpgDSC_0086.jpg

That dress looks amazing! You'll have to let us know about the quality and how it fit when you get it! I'm a bit hesitant to buy due to those reasons but then again one of the ladies on these boards gets her gorgeous gowns and dresses from China....It looks amazing in the pic!

Michelle:)

Thanks to this thread, I just went shopping for my first ever maxi dress!! And I didn't even have to leave my computer:D.

I looked at eBay and found a seller, in Thailand of course:p, that makes super cute maxi's. I love the embellishments. There are several that I contemplated, but settled on this one. If I really like it, I may go back and buy another. It will be a few weeks until it arrives, but I am anxious to get it!

DSC_0085.jpgDSC_0086.jpg

Oh I love this one..very classy looking..hopefully it's well made with good fabric..how was the price? I like it because it doesn't look so "cookie cutter" like the way many maxis do sometimes, meaning this one has a little bit different embellishments.

I saw a vintage Pucci at a shop awhile back..after scanning the internet I am seriously thinking of getting a vintage Pucci maxi..love the funky style.

DSC_0085.jpgDSC_0086.jpg

That dress looks amazing! You'll have to let us know about the quality and how it fit when you get it! I'm a bit hesitant to buy due to those reasons but then again one of the ladies on these boards gets her gorgeous gowns and dresses from China....It looks amazing in the pic!

Michelle:)

Thank you! I will report back when it arrives. I normally am not a "busy print" type of person, but my tastes are changing the older I get:). This one just really drew my attention. Well, along with several others;).

Oh I love this one..very classy looking..hopefully it's well made with good fabric..how was the price? I like it because it doesn't look so "cookie cutter" like the way many maxis do sometimes, meaning this one has a little bit different embellishments.

I saw a vintage Pucci at a shop awhile back..after scanning the internet I am seriously thinking of getting a vintage Pucci maxi..love the funky style.

I too am hoping it is not cheaply made. It is poly, not cotton, but planning on wearing it in the evening and not to the pool:D

It was a "buy it now" with free shipping, $37.99.

Here is the seller's site in case you want to browse!!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/thaitiedye/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Hey, I forgot the PP's name, who couldn't find any in AZ stores...sorry, but try finding them on line. If you didn't find any in the store, you can find all kinds on line. I found some on Old Navy.

I also found a cute 'covertable' strapless sun dress/skirt that can be worn three ways. Strapless sun dress, long skirt or short skirt buy folding/rolling the top over. It would be great to slip on over a swim suit. I found a black one at Dollar General...15$, Of all places to find something like that. It's been washed a few times and still looks great! I just wish they had several different colors :mad:.

Hi Sunbeach !

Yes, this Thread has really heated up in the past few days LOL Hard to keep up with all the posters but it is so nice to have so much input and sugestions .....I am down to 34 days before we leave sooo I am now starting to feel the pressure :-)

I have Not looked at OLD NAVY but that is on my to do list for tomorrow!

Remember Ladies I am a 2x and don't have nearly as many choices as you Petite Flowers out there LOL

OMG ! Sharrod that is a Stunning Dress ! That could so easily be worn for a formal night on a summer cruise don't you think ? Please post and tell us when you get it ! For the Price it was an awesome find !

ducklite~ I have Maxi's that I ordered from Macy's and one from JCP and one from onestopshopping.com. I seem to have far better luck on line than in the stores ?? I am always open to suggestions :-)

I did find a Long t-shirt type material in a Peasant style which means it has a little sleeve but it was $65..... I don't want to wear a Shrug sitting by the the pool to cover my Jiggly Arms. I will look Like I am dressed for a Nor easter LOL ! So the issue at Hand is finding something Nice , with sleeves in a Black or darker color that is NOT that expensive otherwise it will be back to what I always wear Capri's, sandals oh yes a Blouse too :-)

Have a Super Sunday Ladies and Happy Shopping :-)

I'm new to these forums and have been soaking up tons of information. Thanks for the encouragement to buy a maxi dress. While I wear a lot of long skirts, I thought I might be too old (mid 60's) to wear a maxi. Even though our cruise isn't until December, I'll buy a couple now while they're available and on sale.

Hello Ladies !

Good news, I finally found a Nice Black Maxi w Gold Trim for around the pool It is in a cotton blend Material. I found it at JCP for 30 Bucks but I had a 10 dollar reward coupon so it was 20 bucks out the door Woo hoo !

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help !The folks on these boards are awesome :-)

I also bought another of t-shirt Material for around my pool here at home at Nordstroms Rack $22 Whew !! Stick a Fork In Me I'm Done :-) Now starts the cordinating of the Jewelery .....I hope I don't get carried away ! I swear we are ONLY taking 1 checked bag and 2 carry ons. Some of these new statement necklaces are HEAVY and hard to pack .....Any sugestions ???

Thanks Again for all sugestions !

Congrats on your find! One less thing to worry about bringing:D As for the jewelry, without knowing the type of neckline, if you're bringing the heavy statement piece as you mentioned, just pack it in your carryon or purse.

:)

Hello Ladies !

Good news, I finally found a Nice Black Maxi w Gold Trim for around the pool It is in a cotton blend Material. I found it at JCP for 30 Bucks but I had a 10 dollar reward coupon so it was 20 bucks out the door Woo hoo !

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help !The folks on these boards are awesome :-)

I also bought another of t-shirt Material for around my pool here at home at Nordstroms Rack $22 Whew !! Stick a Fork In Me I'm Done :-) Now starts the cordinating of the Jewelery .....I hope I don't get carried away ! I swear we are ONLY taking 1 checked bag and 2 carry ons. Some of these new statement necklaces are HEAVY and hard to pack .....Any sugestions ???

Hello Ladies !

Congrats on your find!!!! Feels great when you find something you love, and a great price to boot!

As far as packing jewelry, I put everything in a ziplock bag and put it in my carry-on. But if you like to be super organized, I would suggest something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-Hanging-Cosmetic-Grooming/dp/B0000CNR1L/ref=pd_sim_hg_4 Amazon has many different ones, I just picked one for you;)

Honestly...what do you do when you are too heavy to put on a bathing suit? I have tons of cellulite and am ashamed to be seen in a bathing suit. I would love to enjoy the pool on board but feel so self conscious. Any suggestions...serious replies only.

Honestly...what do you do when you are too heavy to put on a bathing suit? I have tons of cellulite and am ashamed to be seen in a bathing suit. I would love to enjoy the pool on board but feel so self conscious. Any suggestions...serious replies only.

I don't think there is a good answer other than getting over the fear and anxiety or choosing to lose the weight. Covering up just brings more attention to it in my opinion (and I say that as someone that used to be in a size 24 and 271 pounds). There is no such thing as being to big for a bathing suit. I have friends well in the 300 range that wear them. if you want to enjoy the pool then just wear a properly sized one piece and do it.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk

Hi shorbr ~

I hear what you are saying 100% since I am in the very same Boat ! no pun intended !

I am a 2X and sometimes a 3X I have lots of loose Flubber (Spanx are My Friend) but I refuse to wear a bathing suit unless I am in my Own Back Yard !!!

Although let me say, I admire The Plus size Ladies who go to the pool with their heads held High!

I wish that could be me, sadly when I used to be much heavier, I had plenty of time observing people on these ships at the pool.

I have seen first hand the larger ladies in their suits become the Brunt of a lot of Private jokes .....The more people Drink the worse it gets and soon the phones come out and pictures are being taken, only to end up on YOU TUBE or Facebook later on ! It has happened more than once ,sooo No matter how Much I personally want to be one of those people who Don't care what other's say .....I AM :-(

NOW having said ALL that and Being "Debbie Downer"

I think these Maxi Dresses make us Larger girls blend in more ! That is WHY I was on such a hunt to find a Casual but Cute long Maxi that would be suitable around the pool ! I have a Solid Black Swimming Suit that I MIGHT just wear under it, so I stick out even less :-) No one needs to know that I will NEVER take the cover up off ......Unelss I have to Go to the Bathroom That is LOL!

@Sharrod thanks for the link and I do have something like that for my smaller pieces BUT I have invested in a couple of Larger Statement pieces....(Not sure what the satement is LOL)

They don't fold or Bend But I do like the Idea of the Ziplock bags I think I can wrap them in tissue and put them in a 2 quart bag and pack them flat on the bottom of the suitcase..Good Idea Thanks ;-)

@ susiemoon you go Girl ~ Us 60 plus ladies like to be stylish too ! Quick story, Yesterday at Macy's I saw these 2 cute little ladies perhaps 80's plus, both buying a Maxi Dress....The conversation was all about one of the little ladie's daughter hemming them up, because they did not want totrip over them and Fall ....So sweet , Love it :-)

I think this is a Great Thread and I don't feel like there is ever a perfect answer for all of us, we are all individuals, this is a great forum to share our ideas,shopping tips and opinions:-)

Have a Great Tuesday All ~

Archived