Travel insurance

Has anyone experience the unfortunate of experience of being evacuated from a ship. We alway.s buy travel insurance, but without really knowing what it covers. We did have to use it for our first cruise, when my Mother's doctor would not allow her to travel. The plan did pay for her fare plus my DW's daughter. This time we are trying to be more diligent on what we buy. I am looking on the web site insure my trip. My TA sells travelex, and comparing it to others it doesn't look as good. Thanks for the help.

No evac insurance (from any provider) covers evac from the ship itself. Such an evac is done with very specialized helicopters and crews that are simply out of reach for a private company.

If it is possible (and needed) it will be done generally free of charge (no insurance necessary) by a government agency of some sort, such as the Coast Guard or Navy, if available over that particular stretch of water.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone experience the unfortunate of experience of being evacuated from a ship. We alway.s buy travel insurance, but without really knowing what it covers. We did have to use it for our first cruise, when my Mother's doctor would not allow her to travel. The plan did pay for her fare plus my DW's daughter. This time we are trying to be more diligent on what we buy. I am looking on the web site insure my trip. My TA sells travelex, and comparing it to others it doesn't look as good. Thanks for the help.

After having a horrible experience with Travel Guard who refused to do an evacuation from Italy, I carefully researched travel insurance policies and Travelex has the best reputation out there. I've used them many times and had not a single problem.

I can't understand why you think they don't "look good" . They offer several levels of policies and additions that will suit just about all travelers. They are not cheap, but they are highly rated and backed up by a company who did not need a government bailout (AIG owns Travel Guard) If you mean that Travelex is more expensive, I'll agree.

I once bought Access America on a travel agent's recommendation and wound up having to file a complaint with my state's insurance department to get them to pay up on a claim. Access America was cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

If you are traveling out of the country you should be looking for a primary insurer. I've seen people having to use their own credit card to pay for medical treatment in foreign countries and have to keep paying on that credit card balance until they could prove to the insurance company that their personal medical insurance would not cover it. That could be months.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived