Epic review - Epicilious ? No.

nw_man

I think your review actually points out what makes NCL so great--and that is the very different ships available. Imagine how it would be if they were all the same? Then you would like or dislike an entire fleet!

EXACTLY!! That is a fabulous point.

I am not fond of the larger ships and I hesitate to book them. I am not sure I'd like EPIC either...however, like the OP I will try it for myself and draw my own conclusion before deciding to blow it off.

OP, thanks for your comments :)

I would NOT want to be asked to share. My DH and I are both shy and not good at the small talk that's needed to get conversation started, especially with perfect strangers. Different strokes for different folks.

Me either. We do not vacation to socialize with strangers...we vacation to reconnect as a family or as a couple. That is one of the reasons we love freestyle...so we don't have to sit with strangers. We only went to the Manhattan room once on Dress Up or Not night. We were given a pager and drink coupons and told it would be 30 minutes. 10 minutes later our pager went off. That was the only night we had a wait.

As for the bathroom, it was not a problem for DH and myself. We didn't have an issue with water on the floor as we used the floor towel provided. DD and DS had to share a room and while DD didn't particularly like the design of the toilet and shower, she learned quickly to bolt the door and pull the curtain so it wasn't that big of a deal.

While I loved the Epic and thought it was one of our best cruises, DH did not like the size of the ship and how crowded it felt, especially on sea days. I was not bothered so much by that (we seem to have issues finding a place on the open deck on sea days no matter which ship we sail...and I'm not talking prime pool seating). While he enjoyed the production shows and O'Sheehan's, he prefers a smaller ship. The Epic isn't for everyone...but I sure did love it:D.

I do have to agree with the OP on some points. I also didn't like the design of the rooms. I personally have a very hard time using the bathroom when someone can see or hear me. I had to wait for my partner to go to the gym every morning before I could use the bathroom. I've also never been in a cabin that felt as cramped as our balcony room. I can't imagine how you could fit a 3rd or 4th passenger. Where would they sleep? I don't even understand how larger people could move around that cabin.

I do prefer to eat with just me and my partner, friends we're travelling with, or people I meet on board, but I don't like the assigned seating of other cruise lines, and my partner and I have requested tables by ourselves or as described above since our second cruise on RCCL.

Epic does have a promenade deck, but it is hard to see the ocean with the lifeboats in the way, and it is accurate that you can't walk all the way around the ship, just back and forth along one side of the ship. That was another thing I missed.

I'm on the Epic in July, and I'll gladly sit alone for dinner without it being a problem. Likewise, if anyone offers to join me, they'll be made most welcome. I just hope I don't get a "moaner" joining me, as it would remind me of your opening post. :mad:

I just came off the Epic, and I definitely couldn't hear or see anyone in the toilet portion of the bathroom. I did see the outline of my daughter when she was taking her shower, but for the most part, the curtain stayed closed. We had plenty of room to dry off with the curtain closed, and honestly never got water on the floor, let alone puddles. As for making friends, maybe it was the itinerary? I don't know. We made tons of friends on our spring break cruise - right from the time we boarded .... And the staff was wonderful. I'm the last person that is a cheerleader for any cruise line ... But I am scratching my head over your review of the ship itself. Were we on the same ship?! ;) I wonder if there are some cabins that have a "water" problem. That could very well be .... I know we didn't have one in ours though.

We are thinking of taking this cruise. My parents offered to allow my 22 year old son to share their balcony cabin so he could save $$$. After reading about the bathroom situation I'm rethinking this option. Would someone with a happy EPIC experience give their opinion? BTW.... my parents are both modest, conservative people.

We are thinking of taking this cruise. My parents offered to allow my 22 year old son to share their balcony cabin so he could save $$$. After reading about the bathroom situation I'm rethinking this option. Would someone with a happy EPIC experience give their opinion? BTW.... my parents are both modest, conservative people.

Teacher 91 - I think it is a good idea to rethink that arrangement. Rooms are small, and there is no privacy in the bathroom. They have studio rooms, so that might be a better option for your son. Have a good cruise!

Honestly as much as I love the Epic, I would agree with Gatrcruzer. I think your son would appreciate a studio and his own space. And I really think your modest, conservative parents would appreciate their own space too.

If you do decide to go, I truly hope you have a great cruise.

I agree with all the points OP stated about the cabin set up. I sailed with a friend and found the lack of bathroom privacy an issue. If one of us was sitting on the stool drying our hair or putting on makeup, the other one had to climb over the bed to get around the room. We asked for the beds apart and there was literally 2" of space between the beds.

However besides that, I still loved the ship. The entertainment was great, I loved the rest of the ship. So much my husband and I are booked again for a Med. cruise in Oct.

Teacher 91 I agree with the others about your son in a cabin with your parents, besides the lack of privacy, he will be stuck sleeping on a couch that is too small to accomodate a grown ups body. The cabins really arectoo small for more than 2 people. He will be much happier in a studio cabin.

OP, as far as dining, when we were on the Epic we were asked every time we ate if we wanted to share a table. As far as the single man, he can use The Living Room to make friends and dinner plans with other solo cruisers. They have a social every afternoon where folks can get together with others to make plans forvdinner.

I agree with some of the last few posts. Two conservative grandparents and a 22 year old will likely find the accommodations and bathroom uncomfortable. I would say the same with "acquaintances" that would be uncomfortable sleeping on beds 8 inches apart, or people too large to fit on the couch (when putting 3 in a room)

However, I always take umbrage when people say "the cabins are too small for more than 2 people". This is patently false. While some might personally prefer more space, the room holds more than 2 people just fine. It's really just a matter of personal preference on space.

When I was first researching our cruise for this July it was either the Epic or Liberty of the Seas. I've been in places before where there was a funky bathroom screen and didn't like it and so the bathroom thing was a major reason for us to choose the Liberty.

Sometimes designers get lost in the design and look and forget all about actually using the space.

Thank you for your feedback on the ship - I think there is a strong sense of different boats for different folks on NCL. I think what may be making the OP's review unpopular is that he mainly discusses the negatives. He didn't say there weren't positives, he still loves NCL, he still had a good cruise overall. But he mainly expresses what he didn't love about the ship. I think it makes the review seem unbalanced, but he's not blasting NCL or the rest of the vacation.

I am very curious about the Epic, but at the same time not sure how I'd handle the bathroom situation. FWIW, even w/ a bath mat, DH tends to somehow soak floors at home and away. Not sure how, but he does. And I'm just not good w/ an "audience" while on the toilet and find I get very embarrassed. I hate public restrooms, and sometimes find I have trouble taking care of my business if there are too many stall neighbors that can hear and smell what I need to do. The suite bathroom in my room on my upcoming cruise (on the Star) won't be as well delineated either and we are traveling w/ friends sharing the room with us so we'll see how things go w/ my privy privacy issues. Having read all about the epic bathroom layout, I know what it will be like, no surprises; I'm hesitant but I really won't know how we handle it until we're actually there. I may be fine, or I may find myself very self conscious.

As for the table sharing, on our first cruise, at every meal in the MDR, we were offered by the host/hostess the option of a table alone or a table with others, wait times if applicable for either. We didn't feel any pressure to choose one over the other, and made our decision based on what we felt like doing and the wait times. If we wanted to be alone, we stayed alone. If we were feeling social, we picked to share. If we didn't care either way, we went w/ whichever had less wait time. It sounds like the OPs experience was that the two options were not presented right off the bat and you had to specially request to table share to be put with another group who had also specifically requested to table share. While a specific request may be less common as many NCL fans consider it a perk to not have to share tables, it does seem like it would have been more practical to openly offer both options at peak times to get people seats more quickly. There may still not be many takers. I probably wouldn't even think to ask for it but if I was told right off the bat I could be seated immediately if I was willing to sit with another couple who were open to table sharing, versus a 15-20 minute wait for a table for 2, I'd probably say sure, seat me now! It's like when they used to offer smoking, non-smoking or first available - sharing, non-sharing or first available?

nw_man, Thank you for your time and effort in writing your review of your cruise on Epic. We sailed it in 2011 and while we didn't have the same issues you did (e.g., we liked the cabin design and don't care to eat with strangers) we also felt that it wasn 't the ship for us and while I would 't say that I would never book it again, it would be my last choice among NCL ships. For us it was the size and the noise level. We loved the entertainment and I thought the food was very good. Just not for us.

When I came back from our Epic cruise and posted my review here, I said the noise level was a problem for us because in O'Sheehans, for example, the music from downstairs plus the bowling plus the pinball plus the tvs fairly drove us back to our cabin. Someone's response was that if I didn't like it I could go to a library for a vacation. So when someone says in a review that they disliked this or that aspect of their cruise, I don't like to see their opinion jumped on. Unless the poster is making false statements, all opinions can be useful to people researching cruises. My 2 cents.

Barb

I appreciate the review. Although we like NCL as a whole, reading reviews like this convince me the Epic isn't really for us. That isn't to say I would never try it, but it would take a great deal to get us on it.

I don't like the sound of the the bathroom setup.

I like a nice promenade.

I don't like a ship to feel crowded.

I worry about that many people getting on and off at ports smoothly.

I am in the camp that enjoys sitting with others and getting to know them. On our last cruise the first couple of nights, after not being asked about whether we would or would not like to share, I finally ASKED. We didn't have to sit alone again unless we wanted to.

I see nothing wrong, and everything right in being asked upon arriving at the dining room, whether one prefers to sit alone or with others. No pressure either way, simply what is one's preference. For dh and myself, it is a MAJOR part of the cruise experience and we miss it when it isn't there. If indeed they don't make an effort to accomodate BOTH types in the dining room, it isn't the ship for us.

The Epic may be new and shiny, different, and lots of glitz, glamour and innovation. It may be a great ship for the right type of folks. For us, given all we have read, both good and bad, it simply isn't right for us. Different strokes and all that. I appreciate the op's review in helping us to make a balanced decision in what fits our ideas of an enjoyable cruise.

If you pull the curtain, doesnt it cover both the shower door and bathroom door?

I agree it was stupid to have frosted glass on a bathroom and shower door but the privacy curtain should assure those who think others are spying on them. No????

In our Epic Penthouse, we did not even have a bathroom door. All I could do was laugh beacuse all year prior to boarding I read about the frosted doors. I would have LOVED to have had a frosted door. But we had NO door at all and only a curtain. I found out that the forward penthouses are the only cabins without any bathroom door. It was another design flaw of some sort and they removed the doors and put up a curtain. It was odd but we dealt with it. The sensor light in the bathroom could be annoying too. The penthouses have fold out nightstand that we used at night. But getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night was like plotting your way through a mine field. When you got to the bathroom you wanted to celebrate because with the nightstands out, it gave you such little room for error. Of course with no bathroom door, you instantly would wake up your spouse with flushing the toilet LOL.

We also had water issues where on the second day of the cruise only scalding hot water would come from the shower or sink. The foward penthouses share a water valve with the owners suite. Just another design flaw LOL

Epic sure has wacky cabins and there is a surprise around every corner :) But other than the cabins, we loved the ship and booked again.

Sometimes you do wonder "what in the world were they thinking" But you just have to laugh ;)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I'm going to have my TA price out a Studio for my son. My parents have shared hotel rooms with older (and younger) grandchildren before and it's never been an issue, so it never occured to me (or them) that this trip could be any different! Thank goodness I'm a CC member/reader. Can you imagine the shock if we had went into the situation blindly!? :eek:

By resolving that issue, I've cleared the way for a GREAT family cruise. We love the itinerary and the ship sounds like it offers a lot to do. I think now that he won't be stuck in a bad 'room situation' my DS will have a FABULOUS time exploring all the ship has to offer. I know the Mr. & I will! :D

Thanks OP for your review. I'm just now starting the research process for the EPIC so your input has been very helpful!

I also appreciate the review--so I can cruise Epic "eyes wide open" and be prepared--if we anticipate some issues, we are less likely to be disappointed on the trip. We have tweens and we will be skipping the Madonna stuff and the Ole (sp?) comedy.

We are 4 persons in a balcony--and now I understand to be prepared for a REALLY small cabin. I think it will be OK, as it is Mom and small tweens and we actually got DH his own studio, as we can't book 5 in 1 cabin and it was very cost-effective to just get the studio. DH is an early riser, so he can make as much shower noise as he wants and, with the studio, we get an extra "private" bathroom--should anyone else need to partake--I also think the toilet set up would be weird for friends, or with older kids.

We have an older DS (25) who might go--I got him a studio as well---as I shared a cabin with him at 15 yrs old and really don't want to repeat that--too many stinky shoes! I think PP's 22 yr old DS will love the studios, his own space and bathroom--and he will also get to go to the cool Studio lounge, which has free cappicino/expresso machine.

I also appreciate the review--so I can cruise Epic "eyes wide open" and be prepared--if we anticipate some issues, we are less likely to be disappointed on the trip. We have tweens and we will be skipping the Madonna stuff and the Ole (sp?) comedy.

We are 4 persons in a balcony--and now I understand to be prepared for a REALLY small cabin. I think it will be OK, as it is Mom and small tweens and we actually got DH his own studio, as we can't book 5 in 1 cabin and it was very cost-effective to just get the studio. DH is an early riser, so he can make as much shower noise as he wants and, with the studio, we get an extra "private" bathroom--should anyone else need to partake--I also think the toilet set up would be weird for friends, or with older kids.

We have an older DS (25) who might go--I got him a studio as well---as I shared a cabin with him at 15 yrs old and really don't want to repeat that--too many stinky shoes! I think PP's 22 yr old DS will love the studios, his own space and bathroom--and he will also get to go to the cool Studio lounge, which has free cappicino/expresso machine.

We basically did the same thing. My wife and I were in a balcony with my 16 year old (small) and 10 year old at the time and it was fine. When the 4th bed is pulled down the room is certainly more cramped, but we didn't have issues with storage, bathroom, etc.

My 15 year old slept on my parent's couch next door and that was fine too

I appreciate the review. Although we like NCL as a whole, reading reviews like this convince me the Epic isn't really for us. That isn't to say I would never try it, but it would take a great deal to get us on it.

I don't like the sound of the the bathroom setup.

I like a nice promenade.

I don't like a ship to feel crowded.

I worry about that many people getting on and off at ports smoothly.

I am in the camp that enjoys sitting with others and getting to know them. On our last cruise the first couple of nights, after not being asked about whether we would or would not like to share, I finally ASKED. We didn't have to sit alone again unless we wanted to.

I see nothing wrong, and everything right in being asked upon arriving at the dining room, whether one prefers to sit alone or with others. No pressure either way, simply what is one's preference. For dh and myself, it is a MAJOR part of the cruise experience and we miss it when it isn't there. If indeed they don't make an effort to accomodate BOTH types in the dining room, it isn't the ship for us.

The Epic may be new and shiny, different, and lots of glitz, glamour and innovation. It may be a great ship for the right type of folks. For us, given all we have read, both good and bad, it simply isn't right for us. Different strokes and all that. I appreciate the op's review in helping us to make a balanced decision in what fits our ideas of an enjoyable cruise.

As far as the bathrooms--clearly it works fine for some, repels others.

The lack of a real promenade was a negative--perhaps the only negative--we felt from our Epic cruise.

But crowding? Really not a problem in general, except maybe certain peak times at the Garden Cafe.

And moving on & off the ship was always smooth in our experience.

Just wanting to balance your decision...

We would have sailed Epic again, but aren't thrilled with the Caribbean itineraries next year--so that's the factor that we decide on.

I am booked on the Epic and, if I'm being honest, I am a little nervous about it. I've only been on the Dawn and Spirit (absolutely loved them), but I've read as much as someone can possibly read about the Epic, and it still leaves me a little "intrigued"

But I am going to try it. I may end up with the same opinion as you, or I may love it more than any other ship. I think you are entitled to your opinion and I think it was a lucid, well written review.

From my reading, people are split down the middle with the Epic - love it or hate it - there doesn't seem to be an in-between.

Thanks again for your review!

I'm booked as well and am definatly nervous (but also really excited as it'll be my 1st cruise with NCL:D)!! I love sitting with people at dinner, chatting and making new friends, it's one of the best things about cruising!! :D It seems like Epic's crew disagrees and won't even try to sit people together, what a shame. :( The entertainment issue doesn't bother me, I've been on a ship where you had to make reservations for some of the shows (Oasis of the Seas) and I still met tons of people and hung out with them. I'm looking forward to seeing the unique bathroom situation in the cabins and I don't think it will bother me (I'm sailing with my Mom) but I guess time will tell. The good new is (for me at least) I've read a lot more positive reviews about Epic than negative but from what I've read, you're right, people either love it or hate it. I've heard that NCL is a very scoial cruise line so I'm hoping that when it comes to the nightlife, bars, lounges, clubs, and pool deck, that's true!! I'm really looking forward to sailing with them!!!! :D

You're absolutly right, it is a very well written review, couldn't have done it better myself!! :D I try and take every review with a grain of salt. They're just people's personal opinions after all and they're opinion (and what they like/don't like), may be different than mine. I'm going to go into this cruise with a good attitude and no matter what, I'll have a blast (I always do on a cruise ship)!!!! :D

:D

I'm booked as well and am definatly nervous (but also really excited as it'll be my 1st cruise with NCL:D)!! I love sitting with people at dinner, chatting and making new friends, it's one of the best things about cruising!! :D It seems like Epic's crew disagrees and won't even try to sit people together, what a shame. :( The entertainment issue doesn't bother me, I've been on a ship where you had to make reservations for some of the shows (Oasis of the Seas) and I still met tons of people and hung out with them. I'm looking forward to seeing the unique bathroom situation in the cabins and I don't think it will bother me (I'm sailing with my Mom) but I guess time will tell. The good new is (for me at least) I've read a lot more positive reviews about Epic than negative but from what I've read, you're right, people either love it or hate it. I've heard that NCL is a very scoial cruise line so I'm hoping that when it comes to the nightlife, bars, lounges, clubs, and pool deck, that's true!! I'm really looking forward to sailing with them!!!! :D

Definitely no need to be nervous.

I've found Epic one of the most socialable ships I've been on. Definitely beats RCI Indy of Seas where I was seated with couples for fixed dinner who blatantly just wanted to be on their own!

I've met more people at the smaller event venues then over Dinner but equally have spent several nights in Taste and Manhattan rm dining with others I've met.

Get involved on your cruise meet and greet, often you can meet people in bars or on tours and if you get on ask what their dinner plans are..

Cruises are what you make them and NCL gives you the freedom to do that!

I didn't like the bathroom but it certainly didn't ruin my cruise. And no promenade didn't bother me either.

I absolutely agree though that I never felt crowded on the ship and getting on and off were no problem. It is very similar to RCCLs Oasis and Allure- I never felt crowded on those ships either.

As far as the bathrooms--clearly it works fine for some, repels others.

The lack of a real promenade was a negative--perhaps the only negative--we felt from our Epic cruise.

But crowding? Really not a problem in general, except maybe certain peak times at the Garden Cafe.

And moving on & off the ship was always smooth in our experience.

Just wanting to balance your decision...

We would have sailed Epic again, but aren't thrilled with the Caribbean itineraries next year--so that's the factor that we decide on.

We have sailed twice pon the Norwegian Jade and absolutely loved the ship and the Freestyle experience.

However, when we saw the deck plans, we did not like the Norwegian Epic, and we won't be tempted to sail on her, as she just isn't for us.

To those that do love the ship, I say fantastic, it's great that there are different styles of ships for different types of people, as well as different styles of cruise lines.

But that doesn't mean that concerns about cabin layout, the lack of a promenade or the Epic feeling crowded should be dismissed. It is all subjective, and it may help newcomers to cruising to decide if they will be suited to the 'Epic experience'.

When it comes to dining with others, I firmly believe (and I've told my DH that he does too!) that diners should be asked if they would like to share a table. As long as there is no pressure either way, it allows people to decide for themselves, maybe, like us, on a night by night basis.

Archived