What to do in Naples or Livorno ports

larry the lobster

Please someone recommend places to go, things to see when we dock at Naples and Livorno Italy. I know I can read all these boards, but its becoming overwhelming! We are a family of 5, including myself, husband 13 year old daughter and parents in their late 60's.

Thank you for any help! :)

Please someone recommend places to go, things to see when we dock at Naples and Livorno Italy. I know I can read all these boards, but its becoming overwhelming! We are a family of 5, including myself, husband 13 year old daughter and parents in their late 60's.

The obvious things to consider are Florence (from Livorno)

and from Naples Pompeii

and/or Herculaneum too
if you like this sort of thing

All the best, Tony

Naples for Amalfi, Capri and Pompeii: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples.htm

Livorno for Florence and Pisa: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Florence.htm

Naples is full of museums and churches. This trip we are going to the Archaeological Museum and the Church that has the veiled Christ (Museo Capella de San Severo--Don't think it should be too crowded b/c everyone will be in Capri and Pompeii....

In Florence Spend time in Florence I'm still looking for a tour to Lucca Pisa and Florence

In Naples I enjoyed an AMALFI coast tour and am doing another Sorrento is not to be missed PLus going to HERCULANEUM with the same guy I hired last year

In Florence Spend time in Florence I'm still looking for a tour to Lucca Pisa and Florence

In Naples I enjoyed an AMALFI coast tour and am doing another Sorrento is not to be missed PLus going to HERCULANEUM with the same guy I hired last year

Who did you hire last year?

In Livorno, we did Florence, Pisa and San Gimignano. The drive to San Gimignano was beautiful.

In Naples we did Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. It was capped off by a spectacular lunch high above in Positano overlooking the coast.

We used the same tour operator in both ports.

There is nothing in Livorno. Get to Florence via ship excursion ("On your own one is good"- bus takes you and drops you off in Florence, then you do what you want and meet your bus later) or train. Although if your ship is there on a Monday, Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia (Michelangelos David) are closed. Go to Pisa instead.

Naples- half day Pompeii is good enough unless you are really into it. Then the rest of the day see Naples. Take a taxi or long walk to the Archeological Musuem (has originals of copies you see at Pompeii) Then walk through downtown squares with beautiful churches. Sample some great pizza.

I would also look into Rick Steves Italy book. He has great walking tours of Naples and FLorence. He also has a mobile app for free that will download the audio version of the walking tours to your device aso you can have that as a guide as you go. On his website- rick steves.com or search his name in app store or android market.

In Livorno, we did Florence, Pisa and San Gimignano. The drive to San Gimignano was beautiful.

In Naples we did Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. It was capped off by a spectacular lunch high above in Positano overlooking the coast.

We used the same tour operator in both ports.

What tour operator did you use for the Naples tour?

I gave you his name but the answer disappeared sorry I think I am not allowed to say

Hi Michele, I think that if someone asks and you have actual experience with the tour company you are absolutely allowed to post their name.

I used and am using again italy driver dot com Try info at

Umberto is his name I gave him my number he called and we made all the arrangements Very nice man,lived in Jersey is now back in Italy He has arranged tours from Naples and Livorno I really enjoyed our trip to Amalfi with him Loved Sorrento and the coast is beautiful

• 1 year later...

Can you please give me the name of the guide who took you to Herculaneum. Thanks

Several years ago we used Mariano from pleasantravel dot com to tour Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. He took us to his own farmhouse to show us how olive oil was made and his wife presented us with wonderful snack like homemade bread, salami, mozzarella, wine and olive oil. It was a wonderful day and included some other town which I can't remember. I highly recommend his services.

Archived