Canada Shore Excursions

kipo92

Hello Fellow Cruise Mates,

Taking my first cruise to Canada on the Glory this June. I've cruised many times to the Caribbean and know that there are private tours available (Taxi, bus etc.) I'm interested in learning if St. John and Halifax has similar offerings.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Canada port of call board here on cc.

We cruised to Saint John and Halifax three years ago and I found lots of good info there. The cities of Saint John and Halifax have good tourist info on their websites too. I found plenty to do within walking distance of the cruise pier both places plus we did a bus tour through the city of Saint John.

We did the hop on hop off bus in Halifax and it was really nice. You pay one price for the whole day and can get off when you see something you would like to check out, hop right back on a bus when you're ready to move on to the next place.

They give you a map of the city so you can see where you would like to stop.

In St. John we hired a taxi to drive us around.

We set a price before we left and the driver was great!

He showed us everything there was to see.

Just make sure that you leave early enough to see the reversing falls if it's something you want to see. We got there towards the end of it and the water was pretty calm by then.

Hello Fellow Cruise Mates,

Taking my first cruise to Canada on the Glory this June. I've cruised many times to the Caribbean and know that there are private tours available (Taxi, bus etc.) I'm interested in learning if St. John and Halifax has similar offerings.

Thanks in advance!

Try blue diamond tours in Halifax. They were awesome and we had a private tour catered to whatever we wanted... Even got to drive a boat around peggys cove! I would highly recommend them! The owners name is Bob and they have a website.

We did the hop on hop off bus in Halifax and it was really nice. You pay one price for the whole day and can get off when you see something you would like to check out, hop right back on a bus when you're ready to move on to the next place.

They give you a map of the city so you can see where you would like to stop.

In St. John we hired a taxi to drive us around.

We set a price before we left and the driver was great!

He showed us everything there was to see.

Just make sure that you leave early enough to see the reversing falls if it's something you want to see. We got there towards the end of it and the water was pretty calm by then.

I agree with you...we actually did the hop on/hop off tour for both Halifax and Saint John.

Check out the Canada port of call board here on cc.

We cruised to Saint John and Halifax three years ago and I found lots of good info there. The cities of Saint John and Halifax have good tourist info on their websites too. I found plenty to do within walking distance of the cruise pier both places plus we did a bus tour through the city of Saint John.

We did a trolley tour of Saint John - we had a great tour guide who was knowledgeable fo the history and archtecture of the area - we went out to the reversing falls. They gave us the option of going directly back to the ship or disembarking at a nearby marketplace (which we did) where we explored a bit and then spent some time in a neighborhood pub before returning ot the ship.

In Halifax, we had less time in port, so we didn't do a tour (though they were available). There was a lot to explore in the pier area. We went to eat fresh lobster and visited a local brewery pub.

We waited for the St.John City bus tour that runs at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Costs $20, beats the Pink Buses at $43. ;)

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=22922

Took us around the city area, out to Reversing Falls not far away,

showed us the house where Donald Sutherland lived/was-born? etc.

Not a bad deal for $20.

This City bus tour starts out fairly close to where GLORY was docked.

That is exactly the problem if you stay on the ships time.... You will miss this excursion since it's 1 hour ahead of the ship's time...

You will get a kick out of the world's best statute when leaving the ship...I couldn't make him laugh.....

Rocky

That is exactly the problem if you stay on the ships time.... You will miss this excursion since it's 1 hour ahead of the ship's time...

You will get a kick out of the world's best statute when leaving the ship...I couldn't make him laugh.....

Rocky

That guy was amazing! I couldn't figure out how he did it.:)

The other important thing to remember is not to rely on your cell phone for the time. It may automatically change to local time. It's not a big problem in the Canadian ports since the worst that will happen is that you go back to the ship an hour early, but it's something to keep in mind.

We did a private tour with Roy Flowers last June in St. John NB. There were six of us including my Grandkids. It was one of the best Tours and Tour Guides we ever had! Roy knows St. John and knows how to time the tour for the tides, etc. At the Bay of Fundy there is a restaurant that has the best Lobster Chowder and Lobster Rolls!!!

Archived