Off Season Cruising

CRUISE4JANE

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused:. I should would like to know the real reason why.

well for years my dad worked outside everyday for about 10 months a year (winters were usually too bad to work and his whole company shut down) He never got paid for time off, or missed work so summer vacations with him were 100% out.

he always preferred less crowds (this goes for Orlando theme parks too)

and being somewhere warm in the winter.

He's never done a Caribbean cruise in the summer, and has no interest in it... why go hot when it is hot?

My mum's vacation time is flexible, and it's always easier to get time off in the 'off-season' because you aren't competing with as many people.

Unfortunately, I became a teacher... and right now I work overseas so vacation time is very much 'high season' only... at least while we have old dogs that my parents don't want to board.

it's more than saving money, it's personal preference, environment and sometimes just a matter of when you get vacation time.

We always cruised offseason. But we go out of Florida and new orleans, so I think only one time in feb it was a little chilly, but not "coat chilly".

Now that my oldest will be in school this fall, we won't be going off season anymore. Sucks though, since it sure did save us money.

I guess I will get flamed for this, but I can't figure out why someone would cruise off season (to me I think to save money). Who would want to get on a ship with an overcoat on? I wouldn't.;):confused:. I should would like to know the real reason why.

For us we prefer sailing October to mid November

Less expensive - (better bang for the buck)

Less kids

I always feel so sorry for people that have to cruise or vacation in high season. I always think that they either must not know any better to get better value or have such strict schedules they have to go along with the majority. I am thrilled to vacation in off season to get more value for the exact same experience and to be able to vacation more frequently. Why pay more if you don't have to?

Interesting how one can have such different perspectives!

that's why there is value in the winter months, because a lot of families can I cruise because of school.

we were in the same predicament until our son graduated.

Bill

We left out of New York a couple of years ago in November on the Caribbean Princess. It was a re-positioning cruise to San Juan with stops along the way. We got an aft suite which was $5000 for $1500. I figured it would be cold (not winter weather), but we got very lucky and it was 65 degrees out when we sailed, so we sat on the balcony for departure and went under the bridge. It was great. And since we live in New York we only had to fly home from San Juan. Even if it was cold we would have waken up to warm weather in:):) the morning.:)

We cruise in February, but also cruise in September. Hurricane season does not bother us at all....IT'S A CRUISE!!!.. September is much more inexpensive and the water in the Caribbean is much warmer than in February. In the winter, we like to get away from the cold...in the fall...just because.....less money...less kids.....warmer water...more relaxing!:rolleyes:

We left out of New York a couple of years ago in November on the Caribbean Princess. It was a re-positioning cruise to San Juan with stops along the way. We got an aft suite which was $5000 for $1500. I figured it would be cold (not winter weather), but we got very lucky and it was 65 degrees out when we sailed, so we sat on the balcony for departure and went under the bridge. It was great. And since we live in New York we only had to fly home from San Juan. Even if it was cold we would have waken up to warm weather in:):) the morning.:)

How did you get such a huge discount?

I decided the last two years during my May cruises .. just too hot for me in the Caribbean. No cruises past april until late Sept unless they are giving them away. I prefer the winter cruises when you can do excursions like the jungle walk and stuff and not be sweating so bad.

• 2 weeks later...

cinders411, you mentioned that you like crusing in the "off season" because there are MORE mature adults there.

We have cruised in January, February and now March and April, and we ALWAYS find plenty of adults on the ship. We're over 60 and children don't bother us.:)

The reason we don't cruise in January and February, and sometimes March, we are in Kansas City, Missouri and sometimes were stranded the airport.:mad:

If I had the choice I would always go on holiday off season. In the UK you get fined for taking kids out of school during term time, and as they are now teenagers and studying for important exams I would not do this anyway. However, it drives me mad that we pay double or more during peak season, and we get far inferior service, everywhere is crowded, there are endless queues everywhere, and the weather is so hot (especially in Europe). I am looking forard to a time in the future when we can take advantage of late deals, discounts, and cooler weather.

No flaming from me, but along the same line, I can't imagine why anyone would want to cruise in the summer months. Prices are higher, ships are more crowded (especially with kids), the heat is terrible and there is a much higher chance of running into bad weather during the summer months. Out of my 20 cruises, I've gone on one in the month of June...very quickly, I decided that was not for me.

We always cruise in April and December, I have never worn so much as a pair of long pants. Temps are always in the 80's or 90's and the weather has always been perfect.

But, variety is what makes the world go around...if we all wanted to cruise at time, it wouldn't be much fun. So, some people prefer the summer months, and some prefer the winter, spring or fall months.

Archived