Handicapped accessibility - Brilliance NE/Canada

My grandmother, who would be 91 of age at sailing in Oct 2013, is considering joining my mother and I on our Canada/NE cruise and we have some questions, as I have never sailed with an elderly member with accessibility issues on a cruise.

#1. I believe the showers in a GS (I have GS 1556 resevred) are a shower/rub combo...are there walk-in showers in the gym/spa she could use instead? She broke a hip recently (2 yrs ago), so stepping into the tub would be difficult for her.

#2. Are there wheel chair/scooters that can be rented while on board...or can you send a wheel chair with baggage on a flight from Nashville to Boston and back?

#3. Will there be an issue with tendering in Bar Harbor? Is rough seas ever an issue?

#4. Since steps are hard to navigate, how would muster stations be handled?

She really perked up at the idea of this cruise and if it would be doable for her, it would definitely give her something to look forward to...

Other than the shower issue, steps, and long walks for excursions, she can make do without a wheel chair or walker. Thanks for any and all info!!

Karen

Hi Karen, we just got off the Brilliance so maybe I could help a little bit. First, here's some info from RCI's website just to start you out. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=7 I"m sure if you got in touch they'd have a lot of answers for you.

#1. yes, grand suites have tubs and the sides are actually very high. It wouldn't do for your grandma at all. However, there are nice walk in showers at the spa. Although I can't remember if they have a curtain or not! I used one after being in the sauna and I still had my swimsuit on so it wasn't anything I paid attention to since I didn't need privacy. Maybe someone else could chime in about that.

#2. I don't know about rentals, though there certainly were people on the Brilliance who used wheel chairs. So many wheelchair bound people travel these days that you're bound to get the right info about it, whether it's bring your own or rental.

#3. I forget which port we were in but the gangway was really long and steep. When we were coming back to the ship there was an elderly lady in front of us and I wondered how on earth they were going to get her back on board. I didn't wait around long to see, but I did notice that there were at least three crew members hovering around waiting to assist this woman. It must have worked out just fine because I saw her later that evening on board. I"m sure tendering can't be too much more trouble than that steep gangway! As to rough seas, you never know about that. Some people are prone to not taking it well and other people don't notice. I now take Bonine as a precaution and it works like a charm.

#4. Karen, muster takes place on Deck 4 (5?). Anyway, all your grandma needs to do is take the elevator down, exit, and wheel herself onto the deck to join her station. It's easy as pie.

I think it's marvelous that your grandma wants to go on a cruise! She'll have a wonderful time on the Brilliance. She's a beautiful ship and the crew is so warm and friendly. I couldn't help but notice the good care they took of all their guests with mobility issues. Nothing was too much trouble. (I pay attention to things like this because I have a little nephew who sometimes needs a wheel chair.) So. Go on your cruise and enjoy!

Just to add to the above - you cannot rent wheelchairs/scooters from the cruiseline, but they can give you contact information for a vendor who will deliver same to your cabin and pick it up after the cruise. You can also gate check a wheelchair on a plane.

My grandmother, who would be 91 of age at sailing in Oct 2013, is considering joining my mother and I on our Canada/NE cruise and we have some questions, as I have never sailed with an elderly member with accessibility issues on a cruise.

#1. I believe the showers in a GS (I have GS 1556 resevred) are a shower/rub combo...are there walk-in showers in the gym/spa she could use instead? She broke a hip recently (2 yrs ago), so stepping into the tub would be difficult for her.

You can contact the Special Needs Department and request a transfer bench for the tub.

#2. Are there wheel chair/scooters that can be rented while on board

The cruise line does not rent wheelchairs/scooters. You have to contact either CareVacations or Special Needs at Sea to rent such items. These are the only two approved vendors allowed to deliver to RCCL cruiseships. The items you order will be delivered to your cabin by 2:00Pm on the day of embarkation and on debarkation you just leave it in the cabin for pickup. ...or can you send a wheel chair with baggage on a flight from Nashville to Boston and back? Yes the airlines has to accept wheelchairs and cannot charge for it as it's medical device. You can actually use the wheelchair right up to the door of the plane than leave it on the jetway and it will be loaded directly at the gate ( make certain the gate gent has tagged it a gate checked ) rather than checking in ahead a backage. It will be returned upon landing directly to the door of the plan. This way it's less likely to get damaged.

#3. Will there be an issue with tendering in Bar Harbor? Is rough seas ever an issue? Yes tendering is always a concern evne when using wheelchair or scooter. It is always at the descretion of the Cruiseline if you will be able to board the tender with a wheelchair or scooter . The wheelchair has to be a collapsable foldable design and she has to be able to walk up/down a few steps. Scooters are more difficult to board on tenders and are often not allowed. Once off the ship there's a long hill t leading up to the main part of town that can make using a wheelchair or scooter somewhat difficult.

#4. Since steps are hard to navigate, how would muster stations be handled? She would still be able to use the elevator to get the muster station. It's best not to wait to the last minute. Plan ahead and get there before it's ever announce to begin getting the muster stations.

She really perked up at the idea of this cruise and if it would be doable for her, it would definitely give her something to look forward to...

Other than the shower issue, steps, and long walks for excursions, she can make do without a wheel chair or walker. Thanks for any and all info!!

Karen

Any other questions, suggest you post directly on the Disable Cruise Forum.

1. Please try for a HA cabin

2. Check with her physician before giving her any sea sick medicine as it is very strong,she probably won't need it but take some candied ginger,works great.

3. There is a place for handicapped for muster drill no need to worry, just ask.

I would like to suggest that a good TA would take care of all your questions and take care of everything for you.I am disabled , 84 years old and we cruise a lot.She will have a ball and so will you.The crew is a big help.

One issue with the accessible cabins is they tend to max out at two people. There are however two accessible JS that can accomodate either 3 or four people (depending on which one) but JS does not get all the suite perks. Technically the category is now AW and listed as "Accessible Suite" so I'm not 100% sure if it leans toward JS or GS. It is roughly size of GS but has roll in shower with fold down seat. However they classify it (full suite or JS) they will book up very fast due to there being only two of them on Brilliance.

Archived