Epic May 6-13 Western Mediterranean sailing with pictures

Thanks for this review. I took lots of notes for our upcoming cruise to the Mediterranean on the Ruby Princess. You have provided me with a lot of information and I really appreciate it. We are getting very excited for our maiden voyage! Best! RJ

Thanks so much for posting such great pictures and your review. I leave on the Epic on June 10th and am getting so excited reading reviews like these. I'm prepared to be completely exhausted at the end of the trip because I have things planned for every port day!

Pam

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be on the Epic in a couple of weeks and have a question... I know you wanted to sleep in, but how early COULD you tender off the ship in Cannes if you wanted to? Is it first come-first serve (you mentioned something about "booking tender tickets" - how does that work)?

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be on the Epic in a couple of weeks and have a question... I know you wanted to sleep in, but how early COULD you tender off the ship in Cannes if you wanted to? Is it first come-first serve (you mentioned something about "booking tender tickets" - how does that work)?

The earliest tender ticket available was 8am. I think they were every 10-15 minutes after that through maybe 11am or noon. Before 11am, they had already made an announcement on the ship that you didn't need a ticket to use the tender, so unless you want to go really early, you may not need a tender ticket.

Thanks for the info. Long story short...I made arrangements to be in Nice back when the scheduled port was Villefranche. Now I have to be at the Cannes train station by 9am in order to make it to Nice on time for our scheduled tour. I'll need to be on an early tender. When do you request a tender ticket? The day before, or the morning of?

Thanks for the info. Long story short...I made arrangements to be in Nice back when the scheduled port was Villefranche. Now I have to be at the Cannes train station by 9am in order to make it to Nice on time for our scheduled tour. I'll need to be on an early tender. When do you request a tender ticket? The day before, or the morning of?

I didn't notice that I could book tender tickets until a few days into the cruise and they didn't announce it to everyone until a day or two before Cannes. It might be available as soon as you board. Just go to the interactive section of the TV under "Entertainment" where you would normally reserve other shows.

Ontheweb, McDonalds was one place in Europe (Ireland, Italy, France) last year where we could consistently find decaf coffee for my Dad. Also, can you tell me about the excursion you are considering in Marseilles that involves swimming?

Ontheweb, McDonalds was one place in Europe (Ireland, Italy, France) last year where we could consistently find decaf coffee for my Dad. Also, can you tell me about the excursion you are considering in Marseilles that involves swimming?

Thanks for the McDonald's information. My DW just could not find decaf in Copenhagen on the day we stayed after a Baltic cruise.

The excursion I referred to is Camargue - Arles & St. Maries De La Mer. The description on line includes that swimming is one of the things available in the village of St. Maries De La Mer.

I did not notice before when I posted my answer that the post I wa quoting was from someone from my cruise's roll call. If you decide to take this tour let me know.

Thanks for your very thorough review. While we are sailing on a different ship, we are stopping at the same ports.

Our roll call is extremely quiet so this information is very helpful.

Thanks for your very thorough review. While we are sailing on a different ship, we are stopping at the same ports.

Our roll call is extremely quiet so this information is very helpful.

Glad it was helpful and hopefully your roll call picks up soon! You'll have to let us know how you like it!

Loved your review! It was so informative especially since we sail on June 17th. A question as I begin to pack. How is the temperature on the Epic? Since there were 3 women in your group, your opinions will be helpful. Thanks so much for your help.

Loved your review! It was so informative especially since we sail on June 17th. A question as I begin to pack. How is the temperature on the Epic? Since there were 3 women in your group, your opinions will be helpful. Thanks so much for your help.

I thought the temp was fine, but ladies tend to get colder than men. Your room has a thermostat, but maybe a light shawl or something for the dining room and theater if you need it.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed your review so much! It was a great read! Thank you so much for taking the time to compile this together. The many tips were also appreciated! I'm going on the Epic in June 2013 so I'm definitely going to come back to your review and read it again to make sure I get all the tips.

Qucik question-Was Los Locos Ole a comedy show? It sounds pretty funny! Was it in Headliners? I hope it is there next summer!

Thanks again for putting this together!

P.S. I love your screename ;)

SSAA33, what days are you DIYing? We are on the Carnival Breeze for a B2B cruise, and plan to DIY Rome both times: Vatican Sept 3; Ancient city sights Sept 10th.

Hi! We're going to be on the Ruby Princess Grand Med Sept 3rd. We're DIYing Rome on Sept 6. You're so lucky to have 2 days in Rome!

Qucik question-Was Los Locos Ole a comedy show? It sounds pretty funny! Was it in Headliners? I hope it is there next summer!

It was meant to be a musical & comedy show, I believe. It was held in Headliners and I haven't read many opinions of it - good or bad - from others yet.

P.S. I love your screename ;)

Thanks! It's a reference from the Simpsons :)

We were on the May 6 cruise on the Epic too and loved it! So much so that we're going again in June 2013, from Rome this time so we can spend a few days there pre-cruise. There's just way too much to see there in one day!

We saw the Los Locos show and didn't like it at all. The music was good (guitar) but the comedy was awful. If that show is there next year we won't be seeing it, but there's lots we didn't get to do in May so we can concentrate on that LOL.

Great review! I very much enjoyed it.

Now about those statues in Place Massena, back in 2004 a new tramway was being built and the city needed to publicize it. They apparently thought new art would be a good idea. Those statues are by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa who specializes in monumental art. They are called "Conversation a Nice" and were installed in 2007. They are made of polyester, stainless steel and each statue contains a light. The seven statues (one per continent) represent the communication between the different communities of today’s society. If you had seen them at night, you would know that they also are lit up from within and change color - yellow, red, green, purple, blue, orange and pink.

http://jaumeplensa.com/

I guess the point of this work of art being selected for this particular project, if you try to tie it in with the tramway is that people now move all around the various continents and meet and the tramway is part of the overall system that helps them to do that.

Great review! I very much enjoyed it.

Now about those statues in Place Massena, back in 2004 a new tramway was being built and the city needed to publicize it. They apparently thought new art would be a good idea. Those statues are by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa who specializes in monumental art. They are called "Conversation a Nice" and were installed in 2007. They are made of polyester, stainless steel and each statue contains a light. The seven statues (one per continent) represent the communication between the different communities of today’s society. If you had seen them at night, you would know that they also are lit up from within and change color - yellow, red, green, purple, blue, orange and pink.

http://jaumeplensa.com/

I guess the point of this work of art being selected for this particular project, if you try to tie it in with the tramway is that people now move all around the various continents and meet and the tramway is part of the overall system that helps them to do that.

Hmm, very interesting! Thanks for the info!

We were on the May 6 cruise on the Epic too and loved it! So much so that we're going again in June 2013, from Rome this time so we can spend a few days there pre-cruise. There's just way too much to see there in one day!

We saw the Los Locos show and didn't like it at all. The music was good (guitar) but the comedy was awful. If that show is there next year we won't be seeing it, but there's lots we didn't get to do in May so we can concentrate on that LOL.

We are doing this cruise 5/26/13 out of Barcelona. Are we on the same cruise? I understand some board in Rome in what is the middle of our 7 days. Confusing for Roll Calls to be sure!

Thanks for the review! We'll be on the Epic in June 2013, but leaving out of Rome. Also travelling with my parents, (and our kids) so your review was really helpful!

Sally - which June sailing will you be on? We're doing the 6/19 out of Rome. I started a Roll Call, but so far no one has joined yet. We'll be looking for some sharing of private tours, so if you're interested and on our sailing, pop on over and hopefully we'll get an active board!

I love planning and reading trip reports! Thanks again for your trip report!

Archived